914: The Mythical Rolling Restoration

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

swapped
DDK slapper chatter

914: The Mythical Rolling Restoration

Post by swapped »

Hey.

It was never my intention to build a show-winner (and way beyond my budget and skills), but I'm proceeding as intended when I bought it, and enjoying it without fretting about it being pristine, but improving / correcting / changing to what I fancy, as the needs (MOTs) and finances allow.

So here's the beginning of what is intended to be an on-going but occasional thread to record those moments when I remember to take a picture - or be it with my phone, so I'm not even going to begin to apologise for the image quality :?

First up, welding the rear-end of the driver's long / dogleg (?) - they look like sills to me!

You should bear in mind here that I first picked up a welder in March 2007, after buying a sheet of mild steel, some tin snips and some welding gaultlets, so if you have nothing nice to say about my welding and fabrication skills, please use this opportunity to take your comments elsewhere... :)

Before (well, after some attention from a wire-brush wheel on a grinder - the dark bits are holes):

After (well, sort of after - there's rustbullet, seam sealer and underseal to go on yet):

Plenty more to come over time, I'm sure.

Carl
Last edited by swapped on Thu May 17, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racecraft76
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Racecraft76 »

Welds look good to me, but then I am to scared to try welding my own 14.

Keep us up to date with your progress.
1973 Porsche 914 1.7 (914 EWP) (sold)

A great big 914 shaped void.
swapped
DDK slapper chatter

Post by swapped »

Passed the MOT last week 8)

So suddenly it's time to reassemble the interior - new carpets, rebuilt pedals, new fire extinguisher, head unit and speakers for the first time:

(excuse the layer of dust on the dash).

And to strip and rebuild the carbs:

(Don't tell her I used the wish-dosher - actually, you can - she knows).

Resulting not in car-show presentation, but my word they run better.

More to come...
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Looking good - where did you get your carpet set from??

ad.
swapped
DDK slapper chatter

Post by swapped »

abm914 wrote:Looking good - where did you get your carpet set from??

ad.
Thanks.

I bought the carpet on a roll!

I wanted to 'expose' the centre tunnel and pedal box, so fitted sets wouldn't be right (and would cost more than the £10 the carpet roll cost).

The footwell pieces are re-used from the set that was in previously, because I liked the seamed edges.

Carl