importing a 911

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

thanks alot people... i knew i could count on the ddk to answer any questions i have... am still reading up on the dvla and the ins and out of importing... but things are much more clear now

cheers :D

just gotta find a rust free beauty now... on with the search :wink:
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

es I was going to say the same Duty is Free tax VAT is not BTI is a grey area if you got a 60's car though on a BTi then you are a lucky ******* and I would like to know what port you got it though I will send all my car there.

But over haul it is easy as such and the problem is the seller and the discribtion. Afterhaul these idiots need to understand shipping acar from once side of the world is easy to us what is even easier is a plane ride to their door step to give them a thump when they lie!!!!

:wink:
69Olive
DDK above all

Post by 69Olive »

I bought the 66 912 in through Felixstowe and my 69 911 through Tilbury.

As you say, there is no guarantee that you will get a BTI for a 60's car, especially a 911 as they are not that rare. You therefore have to make a case as to why your car deserves a BTI. Highlight anything that gives your car a rarity value. I emailed PCGB and a few registries in the US to find that there are only 4 Olive cars registered in the UK and only a handful in the US. I think that helped. :wink:
1969 911T - E Engine
2000 Boxster S
912uk

Post by 912uk »

very very luck esp Nr London ports as well. A one off I feel. But you never know.
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

Out of interest if you "import" from within the EU do you need to pay any of these taxes?
Porscheless but still aircooled
drummerboytom

Post by drummerboytom »

I got BTI agreement on my 914/6 before i brought it over , no problem .
Filled in the form , sent a few accompanying Magazine articles stating
there were less than a dozen or so in this country , and it wasn't a problem .
I may be mistaken , but i understood at the time that once the principal of rarity / collectability is established for a particular model that it can then be applied to subsequent vehicles without an individual application .
i.e. no-one else importing a 914/6 now need apply so long as they know a BTI exists and maybe the relevant reference number to fill in on their C&E forms
BTI 's for the various model early 911 s must exist already by the bucket-load
drummerboytom
1970 914 / 6 Irish Green
1974 914 / 4 Giallo Fly ( yellow ! )
gone to a new DDK home - 1972 911 2.4T coupe with '73 2.4T CIS motor
gone to a new home - 1970 911 T Targa
james33
DDK Fanatic

Trusted shipper

Post by james33 »

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply on the other thread, You mentioned trusted shipping agents, can you or any of the other guys who have imported cars/parts recommend any?
Thanks
'71T
'73 2.4S (sold)
'60 AH 3000 MK 1
Defender 110 '98
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I used http://www.cfrline.com/ and found them very good.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
drummerboytom

Re: Trusted shipper

Post by drummerboytom »

james33 wrote:Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply on the other thread, You mentioned trusted shipping agents, can you or any of the other guys who have imported cars/parts recommend any?
Thanks
When i imported my 914/6 i used a company called Penbrokes
penbrokecartainer.com , and everything was easy and straightforward , wouldn't hesitate to recomend them for cars don't know about smaller items though .
For my 911 which i paid for in MARCH i engaged a
company called RINKENS .
The car is still not here !!! :evil:
Draw your own conclusions on that one .
drummerboytom
1970 914 / 6 Irish Green
1974 914 / 4 Giallo Fly ( yellow ! )
gone to a new DDK home - 1972 911 2.4T coupe with '73 2.4T CIS motor
gone to a new home - 1970 911 T Targa
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

you have to pay VAT ! The Binding Tarif (BTI) gets you the reduced rate of VAT at 5% as a historical vehicle. It's the import duty that you should not pay as the car is of European origin.
Are all pre 73 cars 'historical'? If I import an historical vehicle from USA, would I only have to pay 5% BTI and no duty? What is the best procedure of achieving this?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Unfortunately the situation has now changed. :(

When my '73 911 arrived just before Christmas C&E tried to charge me 10% import duty + 17.5% VAT (although I'd submitted a BTI via my shipper). I immediately challenged them about the import duty, arguing that as the car originated from the EU it should't be charged. They then dropped the import duty & re-calculated the VAT - but still at the 17.5% rate which I had to pay.

I have lodged an appeal against this decision since I felt that the car was sufficiently historically rare/significant since it was converted from new by the supplying Porsche Dealer to 2.7 Carrera RS Touring spec (using all Factory RS parts). I had spoken to a number of key Porsche people heavily involved in the 2.7 RS UK 'scene' & they had re-inforced my belief that the car is very rare. This information has been passed on to the appointed 'investigator' ...

...I should hear the result by February 5th.

So, to answer your question, you will be charged 17.5% VAT unless you can prove that the car you import is particularly rare in the UK or historically significant in some way.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Aren't S's rare enough or historically significant?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'm afraid it's unlikely from C&E's point of view - unless it was originally owned by Ferdinand Porsche, Loiuse Piech, Jurgen Barth, etc (& you can prove it)...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Gone in 60 seconds
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Gone in 60 seconds »

Sorry to drag up this thread once more. How are the vehicles valued for VAT payment, purely on the bill of sale from the originating vendor in the US?

Does that leave room for being creative with the bill?

JM
73 911 RS(T) #0968
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

The value for duty (if unavaoidable) and VAT is based on the BoS price plus shipping. The C&E people (or whatever they are called this week) are no fools and will spot a ridiculously low value and they are empowered to put their own value on the goods
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk