Oil Cooling

Any technical issue relating to Motorsport Porsches

Moderator: Bootsy

haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Oil Cooling

Post by haasad »

Just after opinion. I am building my R esque car with the oil tank (Patterson) in the luggage space. I have the requisite Carrera oil pump etc but am exploring additional cooling.

I have a serpentine type original oil cooler loop and may fit it in the front wing as standard with a Mocal T stat to bring it in line when needed.

Questions are:
Do we think the oil needs additional cooling given that the tank holds quite a lot more than standard ( I forgot to measure how much).
Will the serpentine cooler be enough.
If not shall I duct air too it and slot the front bumper to increase volume or fit a more restrictive matrix type cooler. OR both

Over to you!
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI hassad just where are you putting the oil tank in the car??? and what size is it. What size Mocal T stat are you using?? is the engine STD2.7??. The serpentine cooler loop is not that good at cooling a race engine!!!

regards mike
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

oil cooling

Post by haasad »

Thanks for the reply.

The tank is a Patterson unit with the increased volume it holds the volume of a standard wing mounted tank plus 3 litres. It will be mounted in the luggage space on the offside ballancing the fuel tank which is set left and centre. The stat' is a Mocal -16 unit ( to ensure that bore restriction is not a problem) at 90 degrees C opening. Pipe runs are planned at -12 or -16 again restriction at fittings is the controlling issue. Pipe will be "areoquipe" type.

I have the higher scavenge and delivery capicity pump to fit from a 3.2.

The motor will be 2.7 litre, with S cams, high comp, crank fired twin plug running plain headers and throttle body injection using motor cycle bodies. It will have a slightly lightened flywheel with a lightweight clutch to aid throttle response.

Not race but tractable and relatively friendly power delivery is my aim . I believe that the serpentine cooler will probably work ok due to the higher volume of oil I will be moving over a greater distance. Also air is ducted to the cooler through the front wing and valance. What are your thoughts?
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI hassad I would have a look hear;

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/pdfc ... e_fuel.pdf

on page 29 for the oil system. The oil tank has to be located in the correct place utherwise you will have oil starvation under braking/cornering, also the oil feed pipe to the engine has to be fitted in the correct position as not to give oil restriction/feed and get in the way of components on the way to the engine. I would (if funds allow it) fit a bigger oil pump, as you are now pumping the oil all the way round the car, I would check the INSIDE bore of the stat' as you my well have a ristriction in there,

regards mike
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI Just found this , if you have the extra $$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche- ... dZViewItem

runs out on MAY the 18Th

should sort your oil pressure/pumping needs.

regards mike
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

Done some racers have an addtional cooler on the other side of the car to help with cooling efficiency? Migt be an option?