saw this, bench mark material?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

orange912
DDK Newbie

saw this, bench mark material?

Post by orange912 »

Hi all, saw this on fleabay today, despite my poor lack of judgement in my own car, this is a little good dont you think?http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CALIFORNIACLASSIX ... wItemleave it with you
East Coast Dave
Married to the DDK

Post by East Coast Dave »

:shock: :shock:

What an amazing car - makes mine look more than a little neglected.

I'll be watching the bidding, but I'm sure it will soar above my budget very quickly.

Definitely buying a lottery ticket tomorrow :)
"Let's be careful out there"

SOLD:
1968 LHD 912 targa
& some veedubs
(to pay for growing family - and house!)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Nige

Post by Nige »

US seller wants paying in sterling, I wonder why :lol:
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Oh dear..... :shock:

I have been in this car...... :roll:

March 2006 when it was in a right state.. I offered $3000 for it.. they wanted $6000 because I was British.. They seam to think we will pay $1000's over the top for this car because it is a RHD car.. I told them different and they didn't believe me.. anyway look it's been on ebay now at silly money for months..

The interior is a 68 and is the most difficult to get right one off year, so what did they do... they realised this and just ditched it and now the nice orginal door cards have been binned so the once great looking interior has done and check the US home made seats

I have a number of photo's of this car and I can tell you it sold for $8000 on Flee bay to a body shop , who seam to have sold it to another guy who is now trying like mad to sell it to us.. It was from the paper work Ex Bounemouth car.

I need another outlet in life I now even know cars for sale in the US as well as in the UK...... :roll: these things have taken over my life HELP!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
912uk

Post by 912uk »

oh and even these photo's make it look a quick resto job... what you don't see is the pcitures I can't find at the mo of the floor :shock:

Crash course of 6 years + of me doing this import stuff.

This is IMHO not all USA cars are like this BUT MOST ARE..

Car $8000 purchase
The brakes were knackered on this and made it an interesing drive..
$350 + labour
The floor had a few nasty patches.. the paint was gone ( no probs there ) the sills were rusty but saveable.
The interior was knackered but if you were to do a 68 justice it was going to cost alot to do right

The engine ran but was tired and needed long term a rebuild.
Gearbox was knotchy but serviceable again

all rubbers shot and this then makes for the Ca resto job

Strip all windows and rub back paint and bondo and then respray , in Ca you can cut corners like a hot knife though butter because they just don't get the weather we get..

Hey presto a stunning car..$1500 paint work

Engine out steam clean and paint the tin work change the oil and the plugs and hey presto rebuilt engine

buy a set of 14" Fusch and make them look nice new budget tyres
and your starting to look the dream

interior dump the junk but in the wrong stuff but it looks nice and a new carpet set , suddenly your $20,000+ car is worth a second look at..

get it to the UK 3 years later bondo splits and the floor covered in black tar looks a right mess and it's all coming to get you..

That's been my take on nice finished looking cars.. even my photo's of before make it look a weekends work to when you are sat in the car or on your knees looking at the underside..

I would rather buy a car like I saw it and do it my way the right way..then I know it's done right..

BTW Jim at easy had this car in and was looking at breaking it but it was too good to do because it was RHD Jim never owned the car as such ( I think it started to get complicated ) it brokered it for a 912 guy who bought it off an old lady wh's husband owned it and he was from Bornumouth ( sp ops )

there, I do need to get out more.. I think I might take up Chess as a new hobby :lol: :lol: I have even driven some one on here's new toy that is coming over to the UK in a few weeks... :occasion7:
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

:notworthy: :notworthy: TOP detective work Mark - I was looking at the interior and thought there was something wrong! I own a '68 and trying to find interior pieces for this unique year is a nightmare.

I'll stay well clear then :lol:

P
912uk

Post by 912uk »

what gets me is the door cards were ok needed abit of proper cleaning and touch up could have been saved, they were either under the horrid saggy vynal or they ripped them off and stuck them in the bin :shock: :shock: who ever buys it should have a look under there, could be worth saving.

anyway it looks nice and to some extent it has had a resonable job of a basic resto ( well may be abit more ) but if it is what I think it's been done to get it back on the road to make a big fat profit. The US guys think we will pay over the odds for this car because it's RHD and as you know most of us don't care what it is..

The prob was the out right purchase price was $5000 over the top.. so the bottom line is they want $20,000 back from it. :shock:
912uk

Post by 912uk »

what gets me is the door cards were ok needed abit of proper cleaning and touch up could have been saved, they were either under the horrid saggy vynal or they ripped them off and stuck them in the bin :shock: :shock: who ever buys it should have a look under there, could be worth saving.

anyway it looks nice and to some extent it has had a resonable job of a basic resto ( well may be abit more ) but if it is what I think it's been done to get it back on the road to make a big fat profit. The US guys think we will pay over the odds for this car because it's RHD and as you know most of us don't care what it is..

The prob was the out right purchase price was $5000 over the top.. so the bottom line is they want $20,000 back from it. :shock:
Four
Married to the DDK

Post by Four »

This car had an earlier airing on ebay and apparently sold $24900 BIN to a German registered bidder. Now why would a German pay top money for a right hand drive?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 008&rd=1,1

Doug
Doug

ddk member # 1376

silver metallic -1966 912
continental orange 107 -1975 911 C3 sport
polar silver 92E -1995 968 sport - verkauft
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I think that sale fell though.. ages ago..
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

I worry for you Mark :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously though.... that's great info to have shared
912uk wrote: I have even driven some one on here's new toy that is coming over to the UK in a few weeks... :occasion7:
and so you shall again :iroc: :P
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I told you I need to get out more.. :roll:

8)

oh ordered a cam gear to arrive at Greg's for Monday from Jim at easy.. he has 5 new 912 breakers in at the mo...
hunter
Married to the DDK

Post by hunter »

Jesus!
This cars up at £12000 at the mo - and reserve not yet met!
Darran

Bahama Yellow 67 912 - sold
orange912
DDK Newbie

so is that good news or bad

Post by orange912 »

so if a quick profit making resto not done to a enthusiasts standard is expected to reach over £12000 is this good or bad news for owners. Is it not just pricing cars out of the reach of people who genuinely want to own and drive one of these cars and putting them into an elitest class where kids dream of ownership, but never get closer than one on the mantlepiece? Even helen was suprised when prices started looking like phone numbers