Interesting discussion in Porsche Post re replica race cars

Any technical issue relating to Motorsport Porsches

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

Interesting discussion in Porsche Post re replica race cars

Post by hot66 »

Just been reading Eoin Sloan's bit under the 'racecar registers' . Interesting read on the 'ban' of newly built up 'replica' historic racecars. Looks like there is a big push for events like Classic Lemans not to accept these cars but only original history proven cars
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
early_911
DDK forever

Post by early_911 »

I can certainly see the point in this . . . . particulary when you consider the value of some of the originals and the drivers attitudes (original = very careful, replica = not quite so careful).

But having the rep's does mean more exciting racing . . . perhaps they should have two categories :? .

Phil
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

i would say for an event like CLM which is probably one of the largest Classic race races that only originals should be permitted, as a lot of people pay a lot of moneya and come a long way for that event.

For smaller less significant races I'd say let true replica's in
Porscheless but still aircooled
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

No simple answer is there?

Money will always talk big in racing...the guy with the priceless original is no more careful then me in my beatup replica..he has a hundred times my disposable rebuilding budget..

The problem is the guy with all the money to build a very superior relpica..

Kind regards
David
group4st
DDK Fanatic

Post by group4st »

All lot of cars you are watching at Classic Lemans etc ,are not so original,Alot of clone cars out there for sure,same at the oldtimer.
Ians comments are out of date with the real Oldtimer race scene.
A lot of replicas and clones etc cost a fortune to build and run,if it has correct and period parts.
I dont think it changes your attitude to racing,what ever you are driving.If you are a competative driver ,you will grow horns,if its a 50k 100 k or 300k car.
The other problem is the originals struggle to compete,because they are racing against cars that are so called period correct,with world rally car suspension,964rs brakes fitted to a 74 3.0rsr rep and so on.
The most important part is scruttaneers who know what to look for,to make it competative for the originals again.
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

interesting a replica for racing I would say has to have as many of the orginal components as possible, so as said there a 1969 911 should not be racing with 993 brakes and other add ons..

that what I recon.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

In hillclimbing it is known as 'period modifications'
Nige

Post by Nige »

How did you come across this thread its over 2 years old?