Fan housing paint colour?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

Fan housing paint colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

Hi Guys...

I'm restoring my 1962 356B... can anyone tell me where I can find the paint code for my fan housing? (websites, books, people etc).

Thanks

RubyRed
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Should be Black ..

the question ( having been rased on another forum is ) what shade of black.. personaly I think Satin is best..

too many Over done American resto cars use GLOSS GLOSS GLOSS!! and it's not nice...

Satin is more inkeeping I think
RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

Fan housing colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

Thanks Dude...

I thought it was black, grey or silver... the one I've just sandblasted was grey... and it seemed very original!

What does anyone else think?

Ruby Red
912uk

Post by 912uk »

your car is not a " Super " it's a standard. so it's black
RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

fan housing colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

Hello again...

Thanks for the quick response... oops... I didn't mention that it's a 356b 1600S (super!!)!!

All the best

Ruby Red
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

hi,
I am restoring a '60 b coupe, normal................

I am putting in a 912 engine all going well, and I painted mine black- it wasnt a super although I guess the engine is a super equivalent.... :?
I decided to keep it black because the engine came with a black shroud.
I think finding the correct grey will be a pain in the a''e but I agree with the earlier post that super gloss doesnt somehow quite work.

try these:
http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/PaintChart.htm
http://www.pelicanparts.com/literature/literature.htm
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

fan housing colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

Hi Rustbucket...

Thanks for the links... very interesting and I'm quite tempted to buy one of their body colour charts... how useful could that be!!

Unfortunately no help with the fan housing... I know I could paint it any old grey but I think if I'm going to all the effort of restoring her I might as well get as much right as possible...

Anyway... thanks... much appreciated for the help...

Can anyone else out there give me any clues?

All the best

Ruby Red
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

PR Services have just ordered a Full Set of Colour Spray Out Cards from John Wilhoit

There are approx 50 colours and at $35 a card (you can do the maths) ---

----- This is a serious commitment to being able to answer all your Paint Colour decisions

We will not have these for another 2/3 weeks but I will keep you posted

Mike
PR commited to 356`s
912uk

Post by 912uk »

wow now that sounds interesting..

Do you think that these are a good representation of the true colour..

I only say as I am still looking for my Green on my 54..

The factory were keen at one stage and then I have not heard from them so I will call them again.. if I get them then I am happy to forward on to you.. to check them against Will's
RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

fan housing colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

I thought this would be an easy one for all you 356 buffs...

There must be someone out there whose resprayed their fan housing in the original grey... or is it just usual practice to spray in a similar grey?

Help!!
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

OK - I`ll put my hand up and answer

First the Pun - It`s a GREY area

Now for what we do --------------------------------

I posted this on the PCGB Forum for Robin - Make of it what you will
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

According to The Maestro (Page 241 of The A`s B`s and C`s)

Normal - Black
Super - Silver
Super 90 - White
356 `C` - Grey / Silver (I would call it Grey / Blue -mike)
356 SC - Beige / Off White
912 - Black

I have to say that, I do not think that I have ever seen a White Fan Housing - There are many small differences between European Cars and USA Cars - maybe this is another one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We paint a lot of Fan Housings and The Grey that you mention I would say is a Grey / Blue (but bear in mind that I am colour blind)

If we find ANY part that is spare to a project and is known to be original we do not throw it away - IT IS SAVED - These days I will not even fit a NOS Panel (unless I have 2) - These are all saved as Templates /Examples for the future (We are going to need them)

So getting back to the fan housing issue - we have a sample of the original Blue / Grey - we take it to our paint man and ask him to match it in 2 x pack epoxy

Small items, like this, we Prep and paint ourselves - Dave is very good at it

Mike at PR

(in reply to Ian
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Willhoit Sample Cards

Post by Mike Smith »

Willhoit Paint Cards - Are they the correct Colour -?

John Willhoit comes with an excellent reputation - we have had 2 of his cars through the shop and I can only fault his work by being stupidly Nit -Picking - he knows what he is doing and has a good crew working for him (I have no affiliation)

He assures me the colours are as close as you can get - All his customers seem happy

Do any of us know the correct colour when we see it -?

The ingredients in modern Paints have changed

Lighting will also change a colour

The way the paint is laid on can alter things

How much metal is in a metalic paint will definitely change things

How good were Porsche-? - Well the Dashbord of my old `C` has never been painted and it has just about every fault that you can have in paint
Solvent Boil - Dry Areas - Runs - Orange Peel

My recomendation to anybody when it comes to a paint colour is to find an example of it on the car - before you start taking it all off

It is difficult with cars that other people have already `got at` but usually there is somewhere where a match can be made

If you are going to change a colour then you just need to find a colour that you like

What are we going to do with these Paint Cards from John -?

I really do not know at this time but Paint Colour always seems to be a big issue

In an effort to try and take some of the pain out of it, I thought we might allow anybody who is interested to flick through the colours and make their decision - from their choice it is then a question of matching it to a modern paint

With a £1000 pounds invested we are not going to be able to lend you the samples and there is going to have to be a nominal charge but this is not something that we are going to get rich on - it is a service and we hope to be here long enough to get our money back

Right - that`s got that off my chest

Mike at PR
RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

fan housing colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

Hi Mike...

Thanks a lot for all that info... very useful indeed... I'm so pleased I've actually found someone who has been able to help!!

I agree it is a funny colour isn't it... I actually thought it was some kind of very very very pale green until I T-cut it... but maybe I'm colour blind too!!!

I stupidly sandblasted the fanhousing thinking that I could just search on the internet or look in a book to get the code... how wrong I was!!

Any chance... if I PM my full name and address or send you a stamped addressed envelope you could send me a piece of card or a mixing stick or something with the correct grey/blue paint your paint man has mixed... so I can ask my paint man to match it... I'd be most grateful!!

Kind regards

Ruby Red
RubyRed65
DDK Fanatic

Fan housing colour?

Post by RubyRed65 »

Hello again Mike...

I've just read your second posting... I think you posted it whilst I was posting the reply to your first one(if that makes sense!!).

Am I right in thinking that the swatches you're getting are for body colours rather than fan housings?

Anyway... I'd be more than happy with your paintmans mix if that works for you as it has been matched from an original so perfect for me.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!!

All the best

Ruby Red
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Yes - the swatches from Willhoit are Body Colours

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With regard to Fan Housing we have the paint put into a Rattle Can but its 2 Pack so it has a shelf life (Don`t turn your nose up -Dave is magic with a can)

If we have some and it still matches and it is still liquid I will paint you a swatch

If not then the only way around this is to see if we have one of the carburretor cross shaft brackets that is already painted and I will lend it to you

We will have to discuss how I going to secure its return I am getting very sensitive about people that do not return things

We are still waiting for a set of Exchanged Brake Shoes to be returned from a DDK Member because we were too nice - Perhaps he might take the hint ??????

Next problem is I leave for the USA on Tuesday and will not be back until Saturday - I will try and look but no promises I stiil have too much to do

Now I am going to have a Malt

Regards

Mike