912 - honest info please

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

El Burro
DDK Seasoned Poster

912 - honest info please

Post by El Burro »

OK, the pennies don´t stretch to 356A asking prices so the next on my hit list is a LHD 912.
I plan on buying a car from the UK in the next 3-4 months but I would like some honest feedback before I take the plunge.

I have a local mechanic who is very experienced with 356s which is good and there are several clubs in Barcelona for back up.

Although I´ve driven a couple of 356s and a great deal of modern Porsches I´ve never driven a 912.
Questions are.
Driveability, are they sporting ?, are they...how shall I say..quick enough bearing in mind the age etc.
Reliability ? any major concerns or pionters to look out for.
Any dos or dont´s or any model or spec to look out for.

Plans would be to use the car for weekends - possibly daily during the summer months.

Reason for a 912 - simple mechanics and low cost maintenence (for me here in Spain) and above all the looks and style, I´m not looking for a fast car but would still like to have fun !!!

Many thanks in advance.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Well based on your criteria the 912 is an excellent choice. Haven't driven one myself but have been in fast convoys with 912's keeping up with 911's. They say that it is a lovely balanced car and I just love the look of one with steel wheels and chrome hubs....just pure Porsche :P
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
El Burro
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by El Burro »

My thoughts exactly.
I´m currently "looking" at a 1966 Cal import which seems to be a very good car.
I´ve gone through most of the 912 section on here which is very good but I am looking for more feedback to my questions.........a bit of a "should I or should I not" take the plunge...
Are they good cars or I am likely to be taking on a load of dramas.

The excellent 912 section has already answered a few querries I had, I now know that I will need Euro lights if its going to be imported into Spain.

Ultimately I´m looking for a very reliable classic Porsche I can have fun with, not be constantly sorting issues or paying mechanics bills.....misson impossible ?¿
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

912 are good cars in their own right, they're not slouches either.

Engines can cost as much as its 6 cylinder brothers to rebuild if you have a bad one.

They certainly can be used as daily drivers but as with any 40 year old car good maintenance is key.

Provided you buy a good one (good engine, no rust) you should expect little drama. Also they're great cars to do DIY, simple and rewarding.

Choose carefully and have fun.
Glenn75S
DDK above all

Post by Glenn75S »

912 are great little cars, I certainly would have no issues about having one.

During the last few trips to the USA I have spotted a few of these for sale, and with the exchange rates they come in at £4-5000.

I also love the cal look mods with polished wheels etc.

Good luck in your hunt for one!!
1975 Porsche 911S (SOLD)
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 (Distant Memory)
2000 Audi TT 225
2007 Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport
2009 Hungarian Vizsla AWD
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

bjmullan wrote:Well based on your criteria the 912 is an excellent choice. Haven't driven one myself but have been in fast convoys with 912's keeping up with 911's. They say that it is a lovely balanced car and I just love the look of one with steel wheels and chrome hubs....just pure Porsche :P
having been the 912 (short wheel base)on said convoys... Boy they are great to drive on twisty roads.. 8)

i now have a 911t(long wheel base) and find it actually FEELS slower then the 912 did. and is much more tail happy then the 912, so a slightly diffrent driving style is require to throw it around the corners.

like the 911 for ease of driving but the 912 is just pure fun and i miss it dreadfully.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
lewis
DDK above all

Post by lewis »

Had mine for 4 Years now and love it, quite capable of keeping up with its bigger brother and on twisting roads sticks like s*** to a shovel. I change the oil and filter every 3000 just to be safe. Same issues as with a 911 as far as rust goes and the engine can be expensive if anything goes wrong but very easy to work on if you dont mind getting your hands dirty. Go on you know you want to just buy the best you can afford.

lewis
68 912
NSK
DDK Newbie

Post by NSK »

I can only agree with everyone else - I've had my 912 for just over a year and a half now and love it to bits.

After an initial bout of tuning and sorting a few problems out (really due to me not having researched enough when I first bought) it has been very reliable from pootling around town to a couple of big trips from London to the South of France and Mull. And I would say mine is no more than an average example, a little bit ratty in places as opposed to some of the beautiful cars some of the guys on here seem to have.

Always great fun to drive and for someone who started off being pretty mechanically naive has turned out to be a great car to learn some basics on too.
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Yeah I have had my 912 for 7 years now.. ekk that long..

I do think about 911 and I have driven a few and I still love my 912... I drove Tony's hot Targa out in Ca last year and it was real sweet.. 120BHP engine with handling to match.. I was very impressed so much so I am rebuilding my 912 motor to the same spec I hope to get about 118BHP..

This will give me the pep I long for and I am sure will put any idea's of 911 owner ship out the window.. I had a guy in the car with me at CLM I think JAson and we spead off to catch up with the 911's and he turned round and said boy I thought 912's were slow, I'm impressed. So that was a nice comment.. and when I returned from CLM I had another look at the carb set up and I asked Andy ( lightweight911 ) to check my linkage when I put my foot down and the linkage was out so I could get more from it when set up right..

912 motors done to the spec I am doing can and will cost MORE than a 911 motor so don't go into this with rose tinted glasses.. ( I wish they were cheaper ) it's the parts that cost the money..

912's are underated I am glad it's kept that way... :wink:
El Burro
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by El Burro »

Many thanks to you all.
What can I say, it sounds like I´m making the right choice.

When I´m ready to come back to the UK on a shopping trip I´ll be asking for pointers or info on any good early LHD 912 that are up for grabs.

Thanks again for the feedback.