356SC Project Update

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

hungryhoss
DDK Newbie

356SC Project Update

Post by hungryhoss »

Hi all,

Been to visit my baby at the weekend so thought I'd post some pictures of the progress so far, I posted some pics in the new members section a while ago but shamefully admit to not having posted since... :oops:

Anyway, the following has been done since the last set of pics;

The doors have been reskinned and had the frames repaired.
New door shuts put in.
Final fitting of the rocker panels.
Rear inner wing sections repaired.
Rearmost vertical panel of engine bay and shelf repaired.
Front wings and clip removed and new closing panels fitted.

Major work on the still to do list is:

Repairs around the front torsion bar uprights.
New boomerang.
Replacement of the entire battery box.
Fitting new front wings and clip.

Then it'll be on to the lead work and paint if the bank managers obliging!!

Incidentally, the shell was acid dipped before the metal work was started, but not e-coated. The guys doing the metalwork (Gantspeed... I'm sure someone will recognise the workshops) were concerned that the shell hadn't been dipped for long enough as some corrosion was still evident in some of seams. After the metalwork's finished, its going to make another trip to be acid dipped but this time e-coated afterwards... Obviously the insulated pipes inside the longtitudinals won't survive this so the best option will have to be cutting a window on the inner section to allow for their removal.

Its still a long way off, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on the choice of colour.... Its a matching number car so would it be 'wrong' to think about changing it?? I was never that keen on Light Ivory when I first got the 356 - my favourite colour would have to be Bali Blue... Have to say that the Light Ivory is growing on me more & more though... Plenty of time to deliberate over it though!!

A good Christmas to you all!!! :bigsmurf:
Malcolm.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

looking good 8)

Personally I'd stick with original colour, but if teh car is a keeper paint it teh colour you really want
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I agree about Ivory. When I first got my coupe it was Ivory, my least favourite colour for 356s. It has only taken 6 years for me to get used to it. :lol:
You should paint it the colour you want. If you think you might sell and are going to paint it another colour it is usually best to stick to one that was available in the year your car was manufactured.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

Looking good.

You've got a hard decision to make regards colour.

I've always wanted to make mine silver which flies in the face of all wisdom. 1. it's not the original colour, 2. as far as the colour charts indicate, it wasn't available for the model, 356C.

However, I think it's pretty easy to sell a classic silver porsche.

Are you planning to go to concours shows?

Steven
hungryhoss
DDK Newbie

Post by hungryhoss »

Thanks for the comments,

There's going to be no 'right' decision about the colour... If I deviate from original it'll never feel like quite the 'same' car but does it make sense to paint it colour that I'm not sure I like?!?

The car will definitely be a keeper btw, doubt it'll ever be for sale while my facilties are still intact!!!

I'm not planning for a strict 100 point concours resto... the interior for example is in as good an original state as you could wish for but obviously less than perfect, so I plan on keeping some blemishes that I'm happy to live with.

Does anyone know if a black interior could be had with Bali blue?? According to the colour charts it couldn't but I'm sure I've seen it?

Regards,
Malcolm.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Black is common with Bali Blue and a nice combo

Mike at PR