912E for sale on 912 Register site

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

boz
DDK addict

912E for sale on 912 Register site

Post by boz »

Hi guys. I'm a noob here but been on the IB site for a few months. Was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the general condition of the brown 912e advertised for sale on the 912 register. I am interested in perhaps buying it... but i am all the way up in the NW and the car is in Southampton! Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Boz
'76 912E
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

oh dear god..

I knew I would end up getting involved.. I have known this car since it was imported in the UK from Canada in about 2001-2ish TO a guy on the IOW

Sold to a guy who lived either lived Southampton or Camberly I think Southampton..

I Spoke with him once as the car was at my mates Garage and he called me to bring round some books on the 912's as I have so many I did and spoke with the owner he had a terrible time with it..

The engine was not in good shape and he had it rebuilt by Stateside Tuning and from what he said that was fine for a while and then all sorts of problems happened with it resulting in the engine being fully rebuilt ALL over again... because of this he was pi**ed off with the car and sold it..

I can't remeber what happened next but Tim a local VW guy bought it and had it up for sale via retromotorcompany and it sold again and then I think it came back again as the owner was not using it.. ( I think can't remeber why he had it back again ) Then it was up for sale for a while and then it sold to the owners that have it now and now it's for sale again

From memory The car has had alot of money spent on it over the years.. it's certainly NO basket case infact it's a nice solid car the colour you eithre love or hate but you could say that about any colour..

I think the price it is at is a nice sensible price and well worth checking the car out I only live down the road.

Mark

( these My personal opions from what I remeber from my tiny little brain )

If you want to ask any one else about the car ask Alex at Retro or Tim ( VW ) at South Coast Wheels Southamtpon..

just read what I wrote..

Just to add , from memory the engine is now fully sorted so some one else has had to pay for all the engine work so you should be ok now ( Stateside Tuning did not do the 2nd rebuild I think there was some sort of legal eagle thing going on with the owner at the time and them I can't be 100% )
boz
DDK addict

Post by boz »

Cheers for that Mark. I spoke to the seller briefly yesterday. He said he had the engine rebuilt at "The Engine Shop"(??)... never heard of it. Also states that in his ad.

Anyway, seller has promised to send photos. If they look ok, i may well make the effort to drive down to So'ton and have a blimp. Would Alex at Retro do a PPI? He seems to know the car from what you have said.

I don't mind the colour at all... its very "of its time"! TBH, I'm not looking for a concours car... just something tidy to see if i enjoy the experience of "classic" Porsche ownership. Never owned one before although did have a couple of Type 2s a few years back.

Aside from the engine, can you remember if the rest of the car was ok?

Cheers! :wink:
'76 912E
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Like I say the car is from memory in very good condition. The paint when I last say it still looked very good.
Nige

Post by Nige »

For £6.6k you can't really go wrong provided its not got any hidden rot. A couple of 912e's have just been sold by DDK members for alot more money than that.
boz
DDK addict

Post by boz »

Pretty much my thoughts exactly Nige! Rot is obviously the major issue as on 911 IBs from the same period. Still awaiting pics from seller.
'76 912E
boz
DDK addict

Post by boz »

Ok, here a are a few pics. Certainly "looks" tidy enough! Any advice on what to look for when checking a 912E motor?

'76 912E
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Those pics make it look like Kiln Red which it isn't. I agree the colour is nice. Lose the silly yank rear rubbers and check the body like a mad thing.

Wonder what happened with Jim Calvert then, have met Jim a few times and thought he knew his stuff myself. His teeners are nice cars.
912uk

Post by 912uk »

yep looking at the picture I know the address already.. Well with in 2 streets..

just off Jct 5 of the M27

And just as I remembered it..

Just check the usual area's for rust and just because it's low don't mean you can ask to jack it up a little..

Wheels as I remembered..

Check electric sun roof still works

Check how smooth the gear box is..

my old E used to crunch when I went from 4th to 3rd ouch... I then changed the oil and added a gear box treatment and checked over the linkage and it was great from then on..

oil leaks !! esp as Justin told me the oil leak I have (Small one ) turned out to be the oil cooler..( that was the only thing I had on my E )

Should be ok but check check it all over the price is right and it should still be a tidy car.. but just ask alot about the engine work if he has had work done then that's 3-4 owners have done work to the engine!!! worht looking into.. but at £6K it's a cheap car!!

Check the front Suspenstion pan with a screw driver...!!!
boz
DDK addict

Post by boz »

Hello JG! Fancy seeing you here! LOL! Do you know this car then mate? And what are teeners?? Are the yank rubbers at rear easy enought to remove?

Owner tells me that engine is a recon unit supplied by "The Engine Shop". Apparently they are Northants way.

He also says sunroof works, but is a little sticky. Needs a bit of grease on the runners maybe?

Will defo check usual areas for rust and engine for oil leaks. Of course if I think its ok I will have it PPI'd. Any recommendations for a PPI in your neck o' the woods, Mark?

Interior shot -
'76 912E
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Still looks like Kiln Red Boz - get the paint code from him. Looks very nice have to say. A very nice first IB, or second or third IB.

Rear rubbers easy enough to change but you may need to repaint bumper. Might be just as easy to buy a used bumper and paint that. Sunroof yes could be grease, could be other stuff.

What about Nick M or Jez Parsons for a PPI, not miles away, though there are nearer people.
912uk

Post by 912uk »

wow the engine shop

now that;s from memory I could be corrected 3 engine rebuilds in as many years........ and owners!!!!!

I wouldn't worry to much about rust on this is the just checking out what this engine is and if it's reliable..
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

I'm surprised at the problems with the Stateside engine - Jim has a good reputation in VW circles :)

Nice looking car BTW, just needs back dating :D
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

autohausdolby wrote:I'm surprised at the problems with the Stateside engine - Jim has a good reputation in VW circles :)
Nice looking car BTW, just needs back dating :D
Backdate shmackdate :roll:

I would give Jim and Linda a call if I was thinking about buying that one, Jim will know something we don't (as usual) and he's a good guy.
KS

Post by KS »

autohausdolby wrote:I'm surprised at the problems with the Stateside engine - Jim has a good reputation in VW circles :)
:?
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel