Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

timothy.miles
DDK Newbie

New member - Warwickshire

Post by timothy.miles »

Hi,

I've just bought my first Porsche!
A childhood dream realised - now that doesn't happen every day!!

During the course of my search for a pre '73 car, I came by an article in 911 & porsche, or some such magazine. The article described a group of classic porsche enthusiasts - DDK !! - 'they sound like sensible people' I thought ? - must make contact with them at some point!

So; Hello to you all. I'm looking forward to discussing and enjoying this wonderful thing with you - the 911 - .

Ah! the car - a 1971 911T 2.2

First question: where can i get some anti roll bars??!!!
1971 911T
1972 Triumph spitfire

rust is my nemisis
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Hi Timothy

Welcome to DDK and congratulations on your purchase. I sadly just sold a pair of 15mm front and rear bars. If you do find any genuine ones you will need to weld brackets onto the chassis and the rear trailing arms. Maybe aftermarket ones don't need this complication?
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Welcome Timothy and I for one know how you feel about realising your dream. I just hope that living your dream is as good for you as it has been for me! There are main places out there that can help you. Just remember to shop around. Here is three places to start with. I'm sure others will give more options.

Design 911
Type 911
Berlyn Services
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Viv_Surby
DDK rules my life!

Post by Viv_Surby »

Welcome Timothy - not sure about the 'sensible' bit tho!! :?
.....AKA the Welsh driving ace - Carlos Monteverdi!

1967 VW Type 2 Camper - 'Betsy'
1969 Porsche 911R Homage hot rod - 'Prescilla'
1972 Karmann Cabriolet - 'Celine'
timothy.miles
DDK Newbie

Post by timothy.miles »

Thanks for the links and the welcome. - much obliged.
1971 911T
1972 Triumph spitfire

rust is my nemisis
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome!

Hope you find the site useful and fun.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

welcome Tim,

another midlander,....yipee! keep an eye on the events section of the forum for information onour meetings, gatherings,drives,shows. it's a bit quiet this time of the year but will soon get going again once the salt is off the roads

i'm thinking of doing a new year drive from the cat & Fiddle -> snake pass down to Lady Bower for Lunch
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
timothy.miles
DDK Newbie

Post by timothy.miles »

Helen wrote:welcome Tim,

another midlander,....yipee! keep an eye on the events section of the forum for information onour meetings, gatherings,drives,shows. it's a bit quiet this time of the year but will soon get going again once the salt is off the roads

i'm thinking of doing a new year drive from the cat & Fiddle -> snake pass down to Lady Bower for Lunch
Helen, your new year drive sounds like a great day out. I'll keep an eye on the events section..
1971 911T
1972 Triumph spitfire

rust is my nemisis
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

just put a "feeler" ad for it in the general section to Gadge what sort of a interest there is.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi,

Congrats on your new purchase. You can buy aftermarket front and rear roll bars which require no welding. On the rear one type uses a U-section around the torsion bar tube, which acts as the bracket. On the front you drill a hole in the A-arm and bolt the new bracket to the A-arm. Check to see if you have the Porsche anti roll bar brackets on your car. If you have, finding an original set up may be easier. I will try and find some pics for you.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
hot66

Post by hot66 »

welcome to DDK. The Porsche world article was a really good piece ( thanks Jonny ;) ) on what was a superb weekend :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
timothy.miles
DDK Newbie

Post by timothy.miles »

Alan.UK wrote: You can buy aftermarket front and rear roll bars which require no welding.
up front:
My A arms do have brackets. As I understand it though there are two types of original anti-roll-bar - one that passes through the body, one that does not. Where would it pass through the body? - through the 'boot' ? - I've not looked to see if there are any pre-made holes yet..

best place for second hand pre '73 parts? - is there a classic porsche scrap yard? (horrible thought I know!)

at the back:
The rear swinging arms have bar connection points - but there are no mounts on the chassis - so would have to weld some on or plumb for an after market type as you suggest - Is an example of this the 'weltmeister' product I have seen on pelican parts?

Is there a UK source for aftermarket roll bars? - I've searched through the links posted above and couldn't find any that suits a pre '73?
1971 911T
1972 Triumph spitfire

rust is my nemisis
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi,

There are two different front types, which happened during a model change. You need the correct a-arms for each type. It sounds like you have the early type. The same goes for the rear ones, some have a push fit on the knuckle of the swing arms while the later ones are bolted on.

Here is where the front anti roll bar enters the body - it the runs behind the fuel tank.

Here is an early front set up

and finally an aftermarket rear roll bar that requires no welding. I would suggest its easier to weld the plates on and use an original one as you already have the knuckle.

I don't have any front roll bars but I do have a 15mm rear set up, complete, all powder coated and plated which new super-pro bushes.

Alan
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

The rear brackets are easy to weld on if you can find a used bar complete with the drop links. Below is a standard front setup. Your car probably has a triangular plate bolted with 3 M8 bolts where this bar goes through the inner wing

Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Nick's picture reminds me that the early SWB ones (ones with the early style ball joints), the U-joint are bolted to the A-arm and not welded to it.

Alan