post removed

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

jubor
DDK Newbie

post removed

Post by jubor »

error 404
Last edited by jubor on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

Bienvenue a la DDK Julien! :-)

After that long in storage there is always a temptation to just sling a new battery on and see if she'll go - being a Porsche she probably will :wink:

BUT if the car's worth caring for, I'd:

1) drain ALL fuel out of the tank and blow through the feed from the tank to the carbs by letting the fuel pump run (ignition on - DON'T start) until it runs dry - first disconnect the fuel pipe to the carbs :roll:

2) change the oil and filter - it's not worth NOT doing for €40

3) jack each wheel, try rotating it - if it is siezed you'll need expertise (of which there's plenty on here :-)) to free the brakes

4) bleed the brakes completely and fill with at least 150% of new brake fluid - in otherwords use the 50% to flush the system through

5) as per 4) for the clutch

6) fit new sparks, points, HT leads, rotor arm and cap - might get away with the coil but depends on whether you can spare the €70 for a new one?

with all of that, fit a new battery and be patient - ideally have another car there to provide some extra juice to crank her with on a pair of jump leads - I hope my very poor technical advice helps - there are plenty of people on here much more clever than me :lol:

Do post some pictures and let us see her :-)

Philip
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I go with Phil's advice but before fitting the new plugs I would turn the engine over a few times without any plugs in place just to get some oil running around the engine. You may also consider new tyres as 10 year old tyres will be hard, have a flat spot and the side walls will probably have cracks in them as well. The other rubber that may need replaced is the flexi hoses used in the brakes.

Have fun and welcome to DDK.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

...and before turning the engine over with no plugs I'd squirt down each plug hole with plenty of WD40 and leave to soak to try and minimise any damage from stuck piston rings.

Good luck 8)
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Hi'a I have already posted on www.912bbs.org http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=151243 for you and if you give me some details I can put you in touch with a fellow 356/912 man in South France..

PM me your email or Tel number..

As I said on 912bbs the brakes are the easy bit

Strip and rebuild the claipers but BUY a new master cylinder it's not worth rebuilding these.

Calipers are easy..with the right tools

I would run the car from a tank of petrol rather than the car's tank as it's clean ( i have just done all this again about 3 months ago on a car that had not run for 9 years.. )

As pjmt says change the oil and remove the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand to make sure it turns. Also use a syringe ( sp ) and drop abit of engine oil in the spark plug hole to lube up the cylinder when turning the engine over..

Once you have turned it about 5/6 full turns then you know it is free. ( if it is not free then you need to check your valves. )

Connect a battery REMOVE the main HT lead to the coil and turn it over on the key for a while I kept coming aback to the car during the day and turning it over for some time and then later in the day again and then again...then change the points check the gaps on the valves check the timing if in doubt set it at static for now.

Then the next day I primed the carbs ( where the fuel float is, if solxes then where there is a little brass 1cm tube at the top DO NOT over fill it better with just some in rather than too much. ) with some fuel and replaced the fuel rubber hoses to the carbs ( dropped a VERY LITTLE !!!! bit of fuel in each butterfly chamber and then I made a long ish pipe with a inline filter and put it in the petrol can and then fired her up... it took less than 1 turn and she was running a treat...

I am very lucky with my 65 car it runs very nice and no smoke the little and I mean little puff was from the little I lubed the bores with and it's a strong engine and smoke free. The PO spent a fortune on it and also put in new clutch and a BRAND NEW flywheel!!!! Brand new heat exchangers!!!! to name but a new of the things he spent money on...
Last edited by 912uk on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jubor
DDK Newbie

Some more photos

Post by jubor »

Here are some more photos,
i'll keep in touch as the project goes forward

http://picasaweb.google.com/julien.borrel/Porsche912

Regards,

Julien
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I just get the hunch that this is going to be an easy car to get back on the road it seams the last owner very much looked after the car..

How much for the Alfa???? I am interested in that?
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

She looks a stunningly original car :-)

Philip
jubor
DDK Newbie

dear 912uk

Post by jubor »

dear 912uk,

I'm afraid the Alfa is not for sale. As for the porsche (two 356, my 912 and two other 911) they come from an heritage, and for this reason I will never sell them.

Well, I hope I won't have to !

Just to know, does this kind of Alfa has some value ?

Julien
912uk

Post by 912uk »

All depends on the model it could be a newer one. I don't know much about Alfa's but when I was in California this year my mate at his freinds italian car repair shop...... he had about 7-8 of these and I took an interest in these. Wouldn't mind having a go with one.. So if you know of one for sale in good condition let me know..

You need to hook up with " pre50 " on this forum he lives in the South of France
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

With a Departement 84 suffix on the plate, that will be a Vaucluse registered car...

So Jubor, let's see you get her running and then post some photos of her at home in Avignon, devant le Palais Des Papes!

Bonne chance!

james
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

Welcome Julien, I'd agree with everyonelse o getting it started. turn the engine by hand first to see if it's free. but by the looks of the storage it will have been properly done.

Alfa looks like the early boat tail Dueto to me. much nicer than the Kam tail.

But you mention a 356, Lets see some pics :P :P
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)