How about rallying?

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

How about rallying?

Post by Nick Moss »

How about rallying?

Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

Nick - nice car and picture, but a little out of my league.

However, I did see a nice (1971 ?) 911S being readied for Regulatory Rally work when I was last over at Tuthills. Front tank guard and 'through the horn grill' spots being fitted - it also had lovely original leather sport recaros (lucky man).

Not I am sure what Nick was referring to, but I have thought about entering one of these, after having spoken to a few of the competitors on the Tour Britannia. The www.hrcr.co.uk do a Regulatory Series that looks good fun.

Anyone any experince of these (Moggs I believe mentioned he was going to do them in 2007) ? Anyone need a navigator, or want to be a navigator ?
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
Andrew Ish
DDK Fanatic

Post by Andrew Ish »

Ian,
I've done a selection of HRCR events, both day and night-time though not in the 911. In the 911 I've also done a number of weekend and week long european rallys run by Simon Rossitor who's the outgoing chairman of the HRCR. I can highly recommend them and will gladly talk you through what's involved.

Next event we're doing is one of Simon's in Feb, the Winter Trophy, from Gaydon to Edinburgh - check out http://www.classictrophy.com/ There are a few 911s, a 912 and 356 entered.

If you do fancy trying one of the daytime events and are stuck for navigator or driver then you might be able to talk me into coming along. We entered the daytime championship this year but didn't get around to doing a single round so I could do with a prompt to get out.

Andrew
Andrew
1969 2.2T
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Nick

Is this the same car?

Bjorn Waldegard 911 ST used on the RAC Rally 1971 at the Mount Stewart event 2003.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Highfield

HRCR Regularity Event

Post by Highfield »

Andrew

Thanks for the info - the Winter Tour looks great fun - enjoy. Are you in the 911 for it.

I think I'll start with a day event and work from there.

Where are you based, as I would need a navigator, or could learn the ropes by navigating for someone.

I am sure my 911 will need some basic equipment even for a day event. Moggs is doing an event this year, so hopefully I can get ideaa from DDK?

Ian
Ian Highfield
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Bjorn Waldegard 911 ST used on the RAC Rally 1971 at the Mount Stewart event 2003.
Yes that's the same car. The Signal Orange 911 to its right is a RHD ST that I have navigated in a couple of times
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Andrew Ish
DDK Fanatic

Post by Andrew Ish »

Ian, yep, doing the Winter Trophy in the 911.
I'm in Gloucestershire so not a million miles away from you in Warwickshire.

Minimum prep for your car is really to fit an additional trip meter to make following the navigational instructons somewhat easier. Depending on events chosen, an underbody tank guard is also wise but I'm sure if you choose your events carefully you could getaway without, at least until you decide whether you like them or not.

The HRCR will be holding an open day mid January, I can check on the date, at Gaydon, where all the Rally organisers have stands and there will likely be introductory tutorials for those thinking of starting rallying. If you're free this is probably a good day to get along to. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find the details. I'll certainly be going along if I'm free.

BTW you will need to apply for a competition license to do the HRCR daytime events but this is simply a form filling exercise

Andrew
Andrew
1969 2.2T
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

Andrew Ish wrote: The HRCR will be holding an open day mid January, I can check on the date, at Gaydon, where all the Rally organisers have stands and there will likely be introductory tutorials for those thinking of starting rallying. If you're free this is probably a good day to get along to. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find the details. I'll certainly be going along if I'm free.
Andrew
That sounds very interesting, and I would certainly look to get along. Post here when you get more details.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Andrew Ish
DDK Fanatic

Post by Andrew Ish »

Ian,
details of the HRCR open day arrived in the Old Stager, HRCR club mag, this morning.
date is Saturday 13th Jan, open from 9:30 to 4:30 and admission free to members and non-members.
No mention of any navigation teach in sessions but I can call and ask if you're interested

venue is Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon which is just of junction 12 of M40 near Warwick

Andrew
Andrew
1969 2.2T
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

Thanks Andy, I will put it in the diary.

See you there.

Any other DDKs going along.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Highfield

HCRC Open Day Info

Post by Highfield »

HRCR Open Day

Saturday January 13th 2007 sees the third running of the HRCR Open Day, at the Heritage Motor Museum at Gaydon and we hope to meet many of our Clubmans Rally Championship competitors there. It is an opportunity for event organisers in the HRCR Championships to meet the competitor and for members of the public to come and see what being a member of the largest UK club devoted to historic rallying is all about.

Over the previous two years the event organisers have developed their displays into some very impressive stands. Videos, and DVDs have been added to enhance their 'sales pitch' and hopefully they have benefited by the exposure the Open Day has given them.

In the Main Hall will be a display of the 2006 HRCR Championship winning cars. All the various championship co-ordinators will be there to answer all your queries. Regulations and registration forms for all the championships will be available. Also in attendance will be that nice Mr Loveridge who will be happy to help you with your vehicle eligibility issues.

The event is open to all HRCR members and the general public, entry is completely free, and there are no charges for parking your car. This year because of a refurbishment of the main Heritage Motor Museum, the area now available for their exhibits is somewhat smaller, but entry to this area is also free. The Café serving breakfast and midday meals is still open.

Outside the entrance to the Main Hall is a display of members' cars, which has grown each year, and it is hoped to have a display of some of the 'Original Marathon Cars'. There is still room to accept more cars in this display. To enter your vehicle contact Simon Marks, Tel 01865-864038.or email A304SCA@aol.com
Ian Highfield