Post by rupert the bay »

anywhere in europe anygood (i.e cheap) or is it best to ship from the states
good ones , in your experience
thanks
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

States every time.

Suppliers over here think 356 panels are handbeaten from pure platinum and invoice accordingly. Unfortunately the US post Marshal and his UK postie mates want their cut but even with that factored in, it's still the cheaper option. Try Restoration Design (and avoid Stoddards as long as you can...) as they seem to produce the most cost-effective chassis and body panels.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course so any UK suppliers that can beat US prices ought to post on here perhaps :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
40 scout
DDK rules my life!

Post by 40 scout »

I've had a few from Roger Bray - hes Ok - Especially if u need em quick - By the time you've added postage, import duty and VAT he's not a million miles off.

I had a big list and with a bit of discount he worked out fine :wink:

Now just got to get em all welded in :evil:

steve
'72 911T - 212 BHP 2.7, on PMO's
'62 RHD T6 B outlaw
'71 Alfa GT Veloce 2000

1929 Indian 101 'bobber' project.
'40 Indian Sport Scout bobber
VW T5
!920's Racing Cycle
1920's Premier cycle
A few vintage Heuers

Member No 381
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

ive used restoration design exclusively, no probs with me, good stampings, heavy steel. I did find my longitudinals were a little long but that was it, and I welded in lots of stuff........................
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
rocket280
DDK above all

Post by rocket280 »

I ve priced up panels from restoration design and they do seem cheep. But in the end I have decided to go with Karmann Konnection. They have given me a good deal because it was a bulk buy and after wieghing it all up ,taking into account shipping, VAT , duty, the risk of loss, damage and wrong parts turning up. I decided it was the way to go. KK have always given me a good service and if the panels are not what they should be then I know they will be able to sort me out. Maybe I would have saved a few quid but we not talking loads. Also the panels they supply are not from the US but come from a company in europe (forget the name) The quality is supposed to be alot better. Sportwagen only use these panels so what does that tell you. I would give KK a try.
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Simonson.

Their panels vary..some are maybe better, but many are not so good fitting as RD...and RD often use slightly thicker steel from what I have seen..

YMMV..

Kind regards
David
1958tub
DDK Newbie

Post by 1958tub »

My metal came from the following

Gas tank floor, battery box bottom, and closing panels from Restoration Design. Good quality, best prices, slow to respond to inquiries. Comes with primer finish.

Longitudinals and rockers from Pelican Parts. This was part of my deal when buying the car so I don't know how the prices compared. The metal seemed a little thinner than the other vendors and they arrived galvanized rather than primered.

Floorpan kit, diagonal support, door bottoms, lower door skins and bulkead from Stoddards. I think thay actually use RD but the prices were better.

I understand that Zim's has really good panels but their prices are very high. I also have to pay tax in addition since I am located in the same state.

Remember that all of the panels will be oversized and will need to be cut to fit. You may also want to sandblast before you install them if you don't like thier primer.
Lee Richards

1958 356A Cabriolet Rust-oration
www.bubba-dog.com - Largest list of 356 related websites and my restoration journal
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

I have had a good chat with Al over these Panels that he had... he no longer sells them. He bought them from a guy in Belgium who sold them to People like Peter Hoffman in Germany.. The guy packed in making these and Peter Hoffamn bought the operation. He now sells these panels.
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

I bought my front clip from Trevors Hammer Works - it was fantastic and good value given the quality and craftsmanship. Most of the pattern parts I have bought from Tweeks and other "discount" US shops have been pretty poor grade steel and obviously stamped from well worn casts. Can't comment on UK suppliers panels.
MHO
Mark Paine
A whole bunch of old VW's
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
rocket280
DDK above all

Post by rocket280 »

Picked up all the Simonson panels from kk today and the quality looks superb. I had a chance to compare them with a few of the panels they have from some US suppliers and the Simonson stuff looks alot better. Although in some cases the US stuff is made from thicker gauge steel. In Jim kelogs restoration book he mentions that originaly the 356 was made from 19 gauge steel but this is no longer available. Only 20 gauge and 18 gauge is available today. So I guess some panel makers went one way and some the other. As we are all well aware at the end of the day the quality is determined by the way they are fitted and tweeked to get them to look right. Lets hope I'm up to the task
rupert the bay
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by rupert the bay »

thanks a lot folks....all very helpful

i actually attacked my car with a screw driver to determine what i`m looking at......

think it very fair to say i`ll be needing complete floors, as i managed to remove the whole floor without the aid of any tools :P