Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - Real time data view with iPad

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Re: Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - 156 BHP from a 2,2T

Post by impmad2000 »

Ive never been happy with the air filters, No 6 sits with just a sock filter preventing rain pouring straight in through the grill
Water shields is what was required, 2nd hand from DDK, sorted but they wouldn't fit. I just couldn't work out how to fit them to the Triumph TB's because the fuel rail got in the way.
6 Months + passes and eventually see it..... A spacer is what is required.... OK, about 1" thick, but it works :)

The overall effect is a much tidier engine bay.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Re: Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T -Real time data view with iPad

Post by impmad2000 »

One of the things I like best about Megasquirt is that it has a team of developers world wide. This is not structured development (or some may say confined) by operating in a commercial world but free to see an idea and develop it for them self. And if its a success, release it back to the world for them to appreciate and apply it for themselves. And this story of my latest development for the 911 falls into this category. Taking some knowledge (and most of someone Else's work !! ) and applying it for myself. see here for details... mobisquirt.org

I got an iPad mini for christmas... Nice I thought, how can I use this ??? I found an App on the app store that should allow me to display Megasquirt data on the screen. I just needed the link. A neat little Serial to WiFi module. http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_134
All I had to do was add a 9 way serial connector and away !!

and some config instructions.

And the result is that the data from the cars ECU can now be viewed in the ipad.

Yes, its cold !! and running rich (Its warming up !!) but the display is real time and from my car !! I can touch a button and the iPad starts logging the data.

Now of course things are never that straight forward, but mostly it was exactly that simple. The complication and the completion of my part for this open source project is as follows...
The RN134 was expensive and hard to get hold of, there was recommendation the RN174P should work too. So this is the one I bought. I will of course complete my contribution to the open source project by uploading the photos I've taken of my board, and the things I found whilst using this newer, and cheaper board. And so the spirit of open source projects continues with others now benefiting from my experience.

... and Yes James, I bought two modules, so if you want one..... let me know :)
Tim
Tim Bennett
johnM
I need to get out more!

Re: Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - Real time data view with iPad

Post by johnM »

Well done that man, great effort and I would say a good result. I have just spent £300 getting some of that data.

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Re: Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T -Real time data view with iPad

Post by TheEasyLife »

impmad2000 wrote:... and Yes James, I bought two modules, so if you want one..... let me know :)
Tim
Wow. That is cool, well done. :cheers: Thanks, I would like one of those! I'll take your spare please.

Daft question but could I use an old iPhone3G as a small realtime display of my engine settings? or is it subject to screen size and IOS levels for app i'd assume. An old Iphone would look great in a Gary71 style phone holder in the ashtray... Hmmm.

Daft question #2, is there an android app too? We have a few of those in the house too..

We are planning on attending an event at the hall in your village this afternoon. Might pop in to say hello :)

Cheers

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I have yet to try the app on my 3Gs iPhone but I think it would work just the same.
It has loaded on the 3Gs, I've just not tried the data connection.
Search for Mobisquirt on the android app store, there may be.
Sure pop round this afternoon. let me know an idea of time.
Tim
Tim Bennett
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

And the outcome from this afternoon is as below:

It works! Amazingly clever. And Tim can still use his phone as a phone connected via Bluetooth to his stereo.

Cheers

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Very cool app :)
Given the cheapness of older android handsets makes it a very cheap digital dash
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

keep your eye open for MSDroid.... I believe it is in the pipeline !!
Tim Bennett
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Hi Tim, brilliant thread and well done on build.
What Triumph ITB were used and would you be interested in building the electrical componants for sale?
Also would this work, be simpler, on a 3.2 carrera?
Boydyrs
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

I love this thread.

It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

I read it like that episode when they find out Bart has ADD....mumble mumble blah blah blah...

I love being technically inept :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Boydyrs wrote:Hi Tim, brilliant thread and well done on build.
What Triumph ITB were used and would you be interested in building the electrical componants for sale?
Boydyrs
These ITBs are from a T595 or T955 Triumph Like thesewith the plastic fuel rail. May very well work with he Ali Fuel railed version too.: -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK-GENUINE- ... 1e72bc6a00
The best way to rate the size of motorbike ITB's is by the power that they generate on the bike. This type of bike runs to approx 130 BHP, but with the two sets would be good up to approx 260BHP (Possibly a little more as Bikes rev higher that cars) So yes, should work on a 3.2, I think Al in the US has done this conversion to 3.2's.
I think there is a chance I will end up, at the very least, creating a detailed specification, Bill of materials, and wiring list that will allow easy, diy installation. Watch DDK for news.... it is progressing further than you can see !! (Including manifolds !)
Tim
Tim Bennett
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - Real time data view with iPad

Post by impmad2000 »

Just plug the finished thing (above) into Megasquirt serial interface, change the wifi connection to hook up to this instead ( automatic if you are outside normal wifi connection range). turn on Mobisquirt and go !! Simple :)
This one's yours James, if you want it.
Tim
Tim Bennett
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

impmad2000 wrote:This one's yours James, if you want it.
Tim
Sold! Just need to get the missus to upgrade from my old old iPhone 3G to my old iPhone 4 then I'm sorted.

Cheers

James

Previously
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

Boydyrs wrote:Hi Tim, brilliant thread and well done on build.
Boydyrs
Raymond,

Next time you are down here on business, give us a call and come and have a look at Tims or mine. We are only an hour from Birmingham or you know where i work if you want to see it in brum once I've done mine.

Have a look at the sc section on impact bumpers at the thread started by Ian Comerford. Lots of info there to whet your appetite.

Cheers

James

Previously
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

James will do as think its brilliant. I have a 3.2 project that is crying out for this but I am not techy enough to know if it would be simpler to instal this to EFi thats already in place.
I actually have the coil pack and correct leads already taken from another car that used to run MBE management!