Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - Real time data view with iPad

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

OK, I've removed two of the three throttle return springs on each bank and believe that I now have manageable throttle weight. I can at least operate it by hand now !!
Next step is to prep the engine to operate on an engine Dyno !
I'm going to see if I can get this sucker mapped on the test banch prior to installation into the car.
This should be fun. I'll post pictures/Video !
Apparently the engine dyno has a Ferrari V12 on it at present , not sure i'll be pushing the same heady BHP figures of that beast, but hey-ho !
At least with the engine out of the garage' I'll have a bit more room to move around.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Post your latest update on here then Tim!

We need the whole story in one place :)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

OK, so the engine dyno didn't happen. A bit like the car itself, the engine dyno is still an ongoing project. Getting closer, but not there yet ! Sounds very familiar.
So decision was made to chuck the engine in, and tune it on the road.
1st step, drill a big hole to pass the cable loom through, mount the EDIS and coil pack on the back wall of the engine bay. I just used long bolts, and some steel tube to make a standoff. Mounting the coil pack to one side allows space to mount a second one in preparation for twin spark ( forward thinking eh :wink: )
Ok, with the engine in place, its time to connect the TB's to the throttle pedal. To keep compatibility with the rest of the car, I've kept to the original location of where the linkage comes up from off the gearbox pivot.
Trouble is, once hooked up to the pedal, it just didn't feel right :( . The pedal depression was OK, but it just didn't snap shut ! I tried adding the return springs I had disconnected earlier in the thread, but still no snap. A bit of improvisation came up with a spring ( A spring robbed from an old household door handle!) on the pivot at the back of the LH bank of TB's. This neutralized the mechanical losses in the linkage, and it felt fine !
Next the fuel system. I picked up a cheap Fuel pressure regulator from Ebay, complete with gauge, Cool eh :)
As the car was a CIS car originally, I just used the std filter and accumulator, bolted in the std place. I made a bracket to hang the FPR off.
Routing of the fuel is pump (on the front cross member) to Accumulator, then Filter and onto the LH bank of the fuel rail, through the rail and onto the RH rail, through this and back to input of the regulator. Unused fuel is then returned to the tank, I am lucky and have a return line on the car.
Gary had had made some ali rings made to mount the std Zenith trumpets onto. These were shrink fitted (And pressed) onto the Triumph TB's. I then drilled and tapped the rings to take the fixing screws and hey presto ! Its starting to look the biz ! Not bad for the budget !! I still need to blend the inside of the TB to match the trumpet; there is a small step at present, but I'll leave this for now, I don't want it to slow me down !!
This view gives a first view of the "look" of the engine. Nice and simple I think.
All black and silver, like the rest of the car 8)
Simple air filter socks, and obviously no coil on the fan housing. Clean and clear !
The dizzy is an old Marelli one, just something stuffed in the hole to stop the oil coming out. I'm going to see if I can get a "bung" made to do this job.
Enough for now I think ! Less time spent on the kitchen would get this done quicker, but must keep Mrs Impmad happy !
Tim
Tim Bennett
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Looking very professional Tim 8) Looking forward to hearing the story of getting it running and tuned....
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

This is where I left it today...
I have used Gary's wiring loom (Pretty much anyway !) and wired it to the triumph TB's , EDIS and the car's electrical supply.
There is little connection to the car's wiring loom, 12V and GND at the front end, and switched +12V at the front (for the Megasquirt) and in the engine bay for the EDIS.
I hooked up a simulator I've made to the VR sensor input and fired it up (Fuel system not primed). Its great to see the gauges on the Tuning program leap into life, the car's tacho showing the simulated revs, and hear the injectors pulsing away !! Awesome ! I now need to fit the fuel pump !!

The fuel system picks up from the basic CIS fuel system that was originally in the car (remember its a '77 is car, backdated)
Fuel tank to pump, mounted on the front crossmember, feeding to the CIS accumulator, and std filter. From here the fuel loops through the RH fuel rail, to the LH fuel rail back to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator( mounted near the Filter) and back to the tank. CIS uses a circulating fuel system too :) .

All was quite simple until I tried to fit the fuel pump. My original early tank is subtly different to the later tank !! The biggest difference being the size of the tank outlet !! I had to adapt the outlet boss up to about 1/2" by drilling out the 1/4" feed and treading in a slightly modified pipe adaptor, bit of soft solder to seal it off. (All low pressure stuff so OK )

Keep your eyes on the forum, I'll post the video of it starting for the 1st time on here !
Tim Bennett
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

8)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Fuel pump, tank, breather now fitted.
I just need the Dome nut to go on the end of the fuel pump and I can test the fuel system :shock:
Tim Bennett
Nige

Post by Nige »

fingers crossed :thumbright:
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Come on Tim :P
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Beaten for the day, and all because the sump plug washers I have are the wrong size !
Good news is that I've put fuel in it, pressurized the system and it all worked without leaking :)
8)
Tim
Tim Bennett
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Noooooohhhhh! :(

In some ways (admittedly annoying ones!) having one vital bit missing forces you to make a better job of the rest of it!

The wiring harness for my old VR6 conversion was 3 weeks later than the engine, so I had time to make a proper job of the installation, rather than rush to run it whatever shape it was in.

We await tomorrow Tim!

What are maps are you using for start up? Have you measured the flow properties of the Triumph injectors?
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Flow rates and rail pressures I've found on the web. They are just a a start point anyway, cranking the injector rate up and down gives the ability to pull the whole table very easily. If my VE's are all at one end of the scale (Low or high) then I'll adjust the flow rates accordingly.
The base map came from the BitzRacing Yahoo Groups files section. Its for a 2.7, but it'll be close enough to get me going. The base map I used for a Maserati Bi-turbo was the default one Megasquirt uses and is for a yank V8 ! Once you get moving, map kind of sorts itself out :) !!
Sorry but its likely to be a few more days as I'm booked for two days in a class room from tomorrrow ! Maybe I'll fiddle tomorrow evening.
Tim
Tim Bennett
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

impmad2000 wrote:I'll fiddle tomorrow evening.
Tim
:wink:
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Come on Tim....

Clock is ticking.... :drunken:
Matt black70
DDK forever

Post by Matt black70 »

It's like waiting for the birth of your first child :)
Black 70T
72 Beetle 1302s
70 Triumph TR6
Corrado VR6 storm(kindly written of by a friendly police officer)
BMW E92 335D
Volvo V70 D5