1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

saxon
DDK forever

Post by saxon »

It's Looking absolutely wonderful i bet your very excited. 8) 8)
2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Thanks everyone for all your comments - yes I'm very excited.

Had small problem with the heated windscreen - the company supplying it won't deliver it! The garage are going to have to send someone down there to pick it up which is a bit of a pain and will add to the cost of the windscreen.

Just popped down this morning - they've finished polishing it off now. Next week they'll be painting up the bonnet and wings & fitting them.

When checking it out this morning I noticed they hadn't removed my stainless sill covers - I asked about this and they had assumed they were original and didn't want to prise them off for fear of bending them. I could see the original colour at the back of them so I have asked them to take them off and paint underneath - if they bend I'll bin them and replace them with original anyway - actually I'll probably do that anyway.

Nige

Post by Nige »

top banana!
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

That's going to be one lovely motor 8) 8)

Reminds me of mine when it came back from paint, almost too shiny to touch it!

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Looks like they're doing a great job Mark - when are you hoping to have it back ?
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sladey

Post by sladey »

Hi Andy,

Steve (the owner) says it could be next week! I think that's a bit optimistic - I'd be happy with any time before Christmas. Can't wait to drive it again though - this nissan micra is p1ssing me off.

Gary - yes - it does look very similar to yours.

Mark
sladey

Post by sladey »

It's starting to come together......

Went down to the garage today to see this:-

and

and

He's fitted the drivers door, glass & mirror, and was working on the passenger door. He expected to get the rear windows and rear screen in this afternoon.

I've ordered a heated front windscreen but the sellers won't deliver it so I've got to get the garage to go and pick it up - probably early next week.

The bonnet and wings haven't been sprayed yet but this should happen early next week.

I've been promised the car by Christmas - my concern is that this may mean 5pm on 23rd, when I'll be ratarsed at the office party. This would be worth staying sober for though.

This week I ordered some Swissol car wax - a Christmas present from the missus - she wasn't impressed (It was like I'd asked for Mr Sheen for Christmas) but I am. After speaking to them I've ordered the Zuffenhausen wax as this is most suitable to water based paints which they will have used.

I also ordered some black and white number plates (from craigs plates - excellent and quick service http://www.craigsplates.co.uk/) - they came the next day.

Finally I'm looking at buying some chrome door handles on ddk - will put those on later though.

Will post more when they put more on

Mark
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

looking good 8) be a nice xmas present for you!
Nige

Post by Nige »

I think I'm right, not sure and I don't want to be a wet blanket, but...

just be aware that your b/w plates will be illegal on a car that age, although your car will look the correct age for them, the fuzz might just get abit picky, you may also need to fit standard white/yellow plates for the MOT.

If you want somebody sober on the 23rd to pick it up for you I'm available :wink:

I could give it abit of a shake down on the A52 or summat?
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Mate thats a super nice project you have there.

Do you have a before shot for us?

Keep us updated its a very cool car.

Alam
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nige - you're absolutely right - I've had to order the plates as "show plates" and I'll just risk it. My reg is non-year anyway so no-one will know it's not a '73 car unless they check out the V5 document. Thanks for the car collection offer - I think I'll sort it out somehow :lol:

Alam - there are some before shots on page 1 of the thread. I was never bothered either way about the previous colour (Diamond Blue metallic) but seeing it in silver now really makes me glad I changed it.

Will post more pics during the week as I should see some progress each day

Cheers

Mark
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Re: 1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project

Post by Dyno Soar »

sladey wrote: Image

DOH :P Here we are... what a change.

Hmmnn I want a total respray too now. I wonder how much I have to save for it?
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
sladey

Post by sladey »

More progress......

Been down to the garage this morning to see this:-

They had said it would be ready for Christmas but speaking to Simon on Tuesday he was doubtful that he'd be finished in time. Neither he nor I wanted him to rush this last bit so I said i'd rather have it in the new year. He had a problem putting the lights in as my (later) light units have a motor on the side to raise or lower them from a control on the dashboard. I have got him to cut out a suitable hole in the inside of the light bowl to allow this to fit.

I'll pop down tomorrow morning and try and get a few photos in before the office party starts.

I also dropped off number plates and a new ("dulled up") orange bonnet badge (Thanks Darren)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

that looks superb 8) I bet you are really chuffed :)

Are you not tempted to fit some period martini stripes ;)

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Hmmm - that's a bit more radical than I wanted. I was considering blood orange bumpers with a black stripe..... Maybe for the future.

I've got a spare RS front bumper in the attic - May paint that up in the future so can swap them over easily if I wanted a more 'in yer face' look