Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Neilnaz
DDK addict

Re: Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Post by Neilnaz »

Alex, who is doing the bodywork said that it wasn't that bad under the hoop. There has been a history of 'interesting' repairs with the car. We had an in-depth discussion about the lengths this 'restoration' is going to.

I suppose you can get lost in chasing 'correctness' when something isn't absolutely factory. There is correct vs right vs dodgy vs wrong vs bodge (etc.). I can't afford correct in every way so we are going for right. Sorry just using words that make sense to me.

The rear wings are hiding some repairs and a couple of filled holes so Alex is going to strip them and let metal in as required. They will be right when finished.

The driver's side sill and door and any the same hoop repairs are next on the list then it is working back from the B-pillars. I think we will be talking soon about paint and refitting suspension and running gear.

It is getting exciting because it is materialising before my eyes.

I will post up some more photos with further progress as and when it happens.

Cheers, Neil
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Totally understand your descriptions :)

Strong and solid beats factory perfect when you are building a car to use (and don’t have unlimited funds/time)
There has to be a line somewhere, as long as you know where your particular line is it’s all good.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Too true.
Build it right and solid and to your budget.
You will then fully enjoy it with a clear mind.

My paint job on aself stripped Shell was £1500 all in by a body repair shop, suits me, would horrify most. Road scars already after 1500 happy miles, no worries.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I like that Mr. Hillclimber that is fantastic
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Neilnaz wrote:I have managed to complete the rebuild of one of my headlights. I am really pleased with the outcome. I did have to purchase some flexible shaft to replace the damaged flexis that were on the headlights. I was able to strip the original out, replace the long screws which had damaged heads but keep the original final threaded rod.
99 Headlight Completed 1.jpg
I will use some grease to lubricate each joint but it all works smoothly.
100 Headlight Completed 2.jpg
Cheers, Neil
Are you able to direct me to the flexible shaft you obtained? I refurbed my h1 lights much the same as you but couldn't find this shaft, so for now I left one of my lights adjustable only from the inside.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

911hillclimber wrote:Too true.
Build it right and solid and to your budget.
You will then fully enjoy it with a clear mind.

My paint job on aself stripped Shell was £1500 all in by a body repair shop, suits me, would horrify most. Road scars already after 1500 happy miles, no worries.
I want to throw mine around, go shopping in it, park in car parks without fear. A £15k paint job would make that impossible.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

We all have goals to meet on these things.
My car is the real Mongrel on ddk, it has everything that is dubious when judged by today's exacting standards by the true experts on here.
But, Ive owned it for 32 years and screwed it to death and I'm happy with the story it tells.

I had quotes from 5k to 15k estimate for paint, about 1/3 the value of the car on a good day.
Seemed wrong as the car has a low value.

Maybe you have to have a 10 or 15k paint in a car worth north of 100k, I can see that.

The small shop that painted mine was local and repaired dents in vans mainly, he wanted to do the 911 as something different for a change!
Promised 2 weeks and I collected it 2 weeks later to re-assemble. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi,
Thanks for the resto thread.

Re the trailing arms, you probably know this, but just in case I will mention... as well as the 'gusseting', the later trailing arm ('72 on? Can't remember) has a longer mount for the shock absorber. Not sure you can see it in your pics, but worth checking.
Neilnaz wrote:
I have established that the trailing arms are a mismatched non-pair. I didn't realise until I took the driveshafts off to re-do the CV boots and re-grease the CVs themselves. One is an early trailing arm and the other is a slightly later one with extra 'gusseting'.

The earlier trailing arm:
IMG_3621.JPG
The later trailing arm:
IMG_3622.JPG
I think I have decided to get additional gusseting to be added to the earlier trailing arm by a skilled welder.

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

In answer to RobFrost:
‘Are you able to direct me to the flexible shaft you obtained? I refurbed my h1 lights much the same as you but couldn't find this shaft, so for now I left one of my lights adjustable only from the inside.’

I bought the Flexi from an old school gauge repair outfit here in Christchurch New Zealand. They were very helpful. I believe I have some left over so could send some to you. What length do you need and I can send you some. Let me know via PM (and your address). I should be able to send by the weekend.

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I have a couple of photo updates.

B Pillar and Rear wings repaired.
139 Rear quarter view.JPG
139 Rear quarter view.JPG (49.74 KiB) Viewed 583 times
140 B Pillar and Rear Wing.JPG
140 B Pillar and Rear Wing.JPG (41.63 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Driver's side Sill repair completed - no picture for this

Rear repairs next - I just need to discuss the extent of this with Alex.

It is looking close to completion :)

Paint next :)

Cheers, Neil
sladey

Post by sladey »

Looking good
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Coming on well :) Looks like a car again!
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Some more photos from today's visit. I must say I am really happy to see the progress:

Both doors fit well
144 Bodywork repairs 291021 (4).jpg
152 Bodywork repairs 291021 (12).jpg
Driver's side sill fitted - no picture

Rear wing/B pillar repairs completed and looking very tidy
149 Bodywork repairs 291021 (9).jpg
More photos to follow - cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

It is really nice to see the door fit so well with the sill and the gaps looking so good. Alex said he hasn't even fettled the gaps just put everything together to check fit and general alignment.
154 Bodywork repairs 291021 (14).jpg
153 Bodywork repairs 291021 (13).jpg
We discussed the rear and there are some minor repairs required - some minor dents and poorly executed previous repairs. Mostly these had been hidden under quite a lot of filler. I am sure we have all seen this before :(

Once these minor repairs are completed Alex will move onto the front wings and the bonnet:

The driver's side front wing looks ok from the exterior but has a very frilly section where it attaches at the A-pillar. This might be repairable but there is a repair panel for this available.
The passenger's side front wing might be better in this regard. Alex thinks that both might be salvageable with some work.

Next we have the bonnet - it is too narrow at the front and seems to have a lot of bog in it. There is a repair panel for right at the front which might make the bonnet savable but it is heavy with bog and loads of layers of paint. Alex is less confident that the bonnet will be savable. I think he will start stripping them and let me know.
147 Bodywork repairs 291021 (7).jpg
I should have the car in the paint booth just into the New Year :)

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Hi, when I mentioned that the bonnet is too narrow at the front this is as measured against another bonnet. Alex re-checked the width between wings which is correct. IT is quite likely that the bonnet was shaped to fit that car as it was and the bonnet is too crowned. i.e. it bulges up too much towards the front so the left and right hand edges at the front are narrower.

Sorry - I know what I am trying to say here - just failing miserably....

Cheers, Neil