So .. Sales of new petrol and diesel powered cars banned

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: So .. Sales of new petrol and diesel powered cars banned

Post by 911hillclimber »

No government infrastructure, that is: power supply to charge points (lots of power generation), charge points with very easy access (need to be standard fitting for any car/vehicle) and costs that are able to raise the taxes lost from fuel (remember just how high those actually are) and ALL this is a dream.

The manufacturers will not be ready to invest in R&D and production costs to make the cars if the user cannot use them.

Thus, the manufacturers will be very very concerned about the Government side of this equation, and the general public will only buy the ev in masses if they can actually use them!

Imagine the typical motorway services of tomorrow!

All those parking places will need EV charging points, assuming of course people will travel as they used to , as in today.
All those driveways will need at least one charging point, and as to street charging points? There will be a forest of parking meters in every street?
Just how long and with who's money will that lot be installed?
Massive business opportunity to be a registered installer of such things.

There will always be a place for moggy's cars, people have been modifying cars since they became common place.

An exciting future, but can it be delivered?
The emergence of roads and petrol stations was an evolution in the UK, the demand for all types of cars the same, and the fuel source was plentiful and cheap.

Here, relatively, it is a revolution with change being forced by the threat of this date for no more fossil fueled cars (vehicles?). The fuel source is not available....

Anyway; Darren, you should have told the Teslar Angel that the nick name for his techno beast is "a coal burner" as I overheard someone say a few months ago in a Teslar show room in Solihull. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Adrian3
Married to the DDK

Post by Adrian3 »

and, no one's mentioned whether the value of our cars will go up or down....very altruistic lot, us!
Adrian Rendle
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

moggy wrote: petrol/diesel cars just feel like driving an antique tractor to me now. :lol:
I'm not sure you are being 100% honest there, Mogs.

Yes, maybe true when you use that diesel Focus of yours.

But only last month I saw you driving a signal orange car petrol car in the valleys, and you certainly didn't describe that in 'antique tractor' terms in the pub :lol:
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Still too much focus on just electric vehicles on this thread for my liking.

Hydrogen fuel cell tech has LOADs of potential too, and although the distribution infrastucture is some way behind electric, there's still plenty of time for that to change.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

There is lots of potential in hydrogen, and probably other options as well - its a long time to 2040.
The announcement was politically motivated but may have had little to do with pollution. (Certainly the min of transport knew nothing of it nor the SMMT ). The combustion engine continues to get cleaner (even diesels if you can police it). Oil and gas reserves are increasing - but not where the west would like or has influence (actually the same for lithium). Meanwhile China is signing 30year oil and gas contracts and paying for much of it up front!
So when they stop airfreighting bottled water into the UK and the mod is showing off its electric tanks or stealth bombers then maybe we can take this sort of announcement at face value.

Time for another brandy I think!
Tony

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival."
(Deming)