3.0 RS underway

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Re: 3.0 RS underway

Post by 74rsman »

911hillclimber wrote:"Dansk panel was miles -out"

Seems they all are.
Patch looks good!

Love DIY projects and people giving it a good go like you, 10/10!
Cheers.
Its hard work, bloody hard work.
Made harder by the fact I've got a single garage and have to drag the whole thing out each time.

I'm getting pretty tired of it. I love the car and have a lot of pride in it, but its tough. Somedays it feels like its fighting me.

I got redunderised march 14 and things are hard to finance. I would love to be at the stage to hand it off to paint but at this rate and with work situation I can't. Still , onwards and downwards..

I knew I shouldn't look on the oil tank side.. I had to poke.. Bit of work to do there too but nothing like the ns.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
Last edited by 74rsman on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Oil tank off. Will zip n strip another day..

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

L
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Keep going, they ALL fight back!

I too welded mine in 1988 for 8 months in a single car garage, painted it too, so I know how hard this can be. I thought it would never end, but there was a turning point when it was all in one primer colour and it looked like a 911.

The first drive was the most memorable day.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Slept on it and took a day off it today. I'll take stock and get back to it next week

Got an arches question. My car is 85 so has factory carrera arches. I can't get a dansk replacement its Porsche only for new qtr..

I can get a dansk 74-77 non carrera qtr.
The question is this..

I intend to fit turbo arches to my qtr panels, so does it matter if I get a narrow non carrera panel for the ns as most of it will be cut awy to fit the turbo arch.
Ie is will a turbo arch go on a narrow or carrera qtr panel and be identical in both cases?
Any ideas?

I'm assuming when they made RS/rsr they only had narrow quarters anyway..

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

OK. So I'm assuming a turbo arch extension will go just fine on a 74-77 Ie non carrera qtr. .. Fingers crossed

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Right, that's that. Qtr ordered, turbo flare ordered. Will check the flare against a narrow car tomorrow at work. I'm also wondering how easy it would be to mod the turbo flare to be a little more rsr bespoke

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think you will need a good real panel-beater for that flatter arch lip, but should be possible, maybe done when welded firmly to the wing.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sladey

Post by sladey »

74rsman wrote:Right, that's that. Qtr ordered, turbo flare ordered. Will check the flare against a narrow car tomorrow at work. I'm also wondering how easy it would be to mod the turbo flare to be a little more rsr bespoke

How brave are you?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6932&start=705

Tweaking the arch is perhaps not something to do as a first project but if you've got a scrap one to practice on it shouldn't be too bad - you've got the existing shape to work with which will guide you along....
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Brave?/ its only metal right?!

Today I had another ' in for a penny' moment. Took the oil tank off, took the oil lines off.

My driveway now looks like a scrapyard with oil everywhere. Some cleanup job that's going to be.

I worked the screen corner a bit more then washed the crap out of the arch. Most of which is oily mud so there must have been some oil leakinv somewhere at some point. Makes it a bugger to get clean

The tank needs a good clean up itself and the inner wing needs patching. Looks like .going to have to zip it all out to be sure and treat it.
I've got my OS turbo arch back at the office so I'll use it to mark up and then cut the carrera arch out with room to spare. That should give me a fair bit more room to clean the wing up.

On the plus side, the OS sill n stuff is in great condition being new about 6 months before I bought the car. Still, need to fill up the nasty self tap holds from the sill cover..

Oil lines are in good shape as are all the fittings. I can change my thermostat now too.

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Re the arch, I'm wondering if I can't re-use the egde of the carrera arch and stitch it into the turbo arch to create a hybrid. The rsr ones just need to look less uniform and I'll be happy.

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

ImageImageImage

sladey

Post by sladey »

Yep you need to get all that back to good metal before you know what's what - flap disc in the grinder for 5 mins
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

I have a big ol flap disk. I haven't tried it out. I was saving it for paint removal alone on the main panels. I've only ever used a wire twist wheel on the under arches as it seems happy to rip all the underseal away quite quickly. I'll try the flapper out and compare.

I got my OS arch today so I can mark out and cut the carrera arch out. My only reservation is that I can get a full qtr with the turbo arch (factory) and I was thinking it might be more cost effective to cutthe whole carrera qtr off and sell it, get access to the inner when qtr less, then stick the full turbo qtr on.

Decisions decisions..

I think I'm going to have to get a wider garage too!!

sladey

Post by sladey »

Get a bunch of the flap discs - they are great for grinding back welds but without taking away much of the surrounding metal. Also good for quickly removing that paint and whatever is underneath it.