My old motors thread - probably done before, but who cares!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: My old motors thread - probably done before, but who car

Post by Bootsy »

Timo wrote:
Bootsy, loving your old vw pics, remember quite a few of those being featured in volksworld back in the day.
The good old days!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
graemesse
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by graemesse »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

James - was that car road registered/did it have a registration number ?

Bear in mind my passenger ride with Gerry Marshall was on public roads ...

Yes the Griffith has a V5. Glad to take James out for a ride. It was my first test day out in the freshly restored car and my first time ever in a Griffith. Great car.
With 460bhp and weighing 900kg I think you would not be disappointed Hillclimber. Unfortunately the FIA will only allow the Griffith to run drums on the back although it uses exactly the same rear axle as the LWT E-Types and the Cobras who run of course inboard rear discs.
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

graemesse wrote:
Lightweight_911 wrote:.

James - was that car road registered/did it have a registration number ?

Bear in mind my passenger ride with Gerry Marshall was on public roads ...

Yes the Griffith has a V5. Glad to take James out for a ride. It was my first test day out in the freshly restored car and my first time ever in a Griffith. Great car.
With 460bhp and weighing 900kg I think you would not be disappointed Hillclimber. Unfortunately the FIA will only allow the Griffith to run drums on the back although it uses exactly the same rear axle as the LWT E-Types and the Cobras who run of course inboard rear discs.

is there a queue that i can join the back of? Trying to find a photo of my old vixen....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Here is a bib-full of my past cars, pictures from the albums, a million more in the loft...
First car was a Triumph Herald, 12/50, disc brakes and a fabric sunroof. Just loved that car. took me everywhere reliably. Modified with SAH suspension parts, brilliant.

Second car was this Mk2 Spitfire. Bloody awful car, should have bought the MGA Coupe I also viewed. Served my 'car apprenticeship' on this Spitfire, everything was done because it was knackered.
Tried to P/X for a lovely pale blue Beetle, got laughed out of the showroom.

After this was, I think, my Austin Somerset, black. drove great, column change an art form to work, taught a girl to drive in it, thought she was going to be my future, not so. Car went when she did.

Then came my Y Type Ford hotrod which literally changed my depressed life to the fun of the 70/80's. Though this period I had a string of old cars, now classics, 105E ford, Mini, Metro MG and such like. I could write a book about the hotrod years.

In this time got married and had another Mk4 Spitfire which was wonderful, so much better than the new last-off-the-track MG Midget...

I sold the Y Type to a deaf and dumb lad from London, and bought a basis of a Model A ford, here being built.

During this time we had 3 Ford Capri's, all 1600cc and all absolute darlings, took us all over the place, mainly hols in France, just a perfect car, but needed a 5 speed box. Lusted for a Laser!
Also restored an MBG GT and loved that too!

A lot of company cars happened, the MG Montego was brilliant, the Rover 800's all were poor, the Honda Accord was perfect if dull, but was a perfect family car.

A 3 Series BMW Touring followed the Accord and took us to LeMans and became known as Hotel BMW, what an engine.

The Ford Model A got sold as I had grown out of hot-rodding and now a typical family man with a manic job going around the world. Spent some time in California where we almost emigrated to.
My company car there was this V6 Camaro, nice car, slow and thirsty...

Then came the 911 which satisfied all my motoring lusts for 32 years, as you know, I still have it and hope to pass it on the my daughter.

This is a very early digital picture taken by a pro at a hill climb, how picture qualities have changed!

The 911 was a bit slow on the hills so was joined by my Subaru Impreza, just a fabulous car on the hills and the road. Stretched this car a lot to 360 bhp, rubber free chassis and much more.
After 4 years sold it to a friend who put it on it's roof and then into another shell. He still has it.

The Lola then came along, won't bore you with that story! Similarly, the Boxster 4 years ago, my classic Retirement Present.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

rhd racer wrote: We like a challenge. I failed at that, but did deduce that you had a) just washed it, and b) also had a silver Renault 5 GT Turbo. How was that? I was always tempted, but never committed...
If that Silver Renault 5 was mine - which it probably was (I had 4 or 5 different models over the years) - it wasn't GT Turbo but a 1.7 GTX .. .

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

My second car. God I loved it. Bought from Wimbledon Carriage Company in London and was immaculate. Sold it when number 1 sprog arrived. God I was sad when the dealer drove it away.....Such great cars, worth absolutely bugger all. Body like tin foil. But that engine....

ImagePicture 013 by CARMANWAITINGINTHESKY, on Flickr

ImagePicture 010 by CARMANWAITINGINTHESKY, on Flickr
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

/\ /\ /\

In my opinion, one of the best engines built in the past 50 yrs ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Sam

Post by Sam »

I think that GTV is massively under-valued. They’re lovely things. I had a red V6 and adored the engine, the design, the cabin, it handled better than I thought it would too.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

ImagePicture 012 by CARMANWAITINGINTHESKY, on Flickr

I had two - second one wasn't as nice but I upgraded it with a GTA flywheel, Q2 diff and stainless exhaust. It was a great driving car. I would have another. It gives you the full Alfa experience. I owned a 159 Q4 3.2V6 for about 5 mins as it had a horrible engine, hideous thirst and was stupid money to tax.
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

James, red car is a 73 Datsun 180b sss coupe that I brought in from Oz. Had a Silvia DOH Twin Cam engine in it so went well. Had many of these late 70/early 80’s with std 1800 twin carb as could be bought cheap and could keep up with RS2000.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Coupla oldies, my old 302 powered Pop taken at Shaky drag strip and my Harley F150 - lowered 7 inches, just right.
Attachments
SANY0059.JPG
SANY0058.JPG
img017.jpg
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
hot66

Post by hot66 »

What was the f150 like ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Too many cars to show here, but here are some past masters that I still have images of .

From the 70''s Opel Commodore GS Coupe. My everyday business car for 4 years. Comfortable, quick and utterly reliable.

Late 80's Family cars. Jaguar XJ12 and Lancia Delta. Even without a turbo always enjoyed the Delta's character and handling.

Mercedes W111 Coupe's. A 220seb & a couple of V8's

Ready for a wash a blue V8 and my business car an Alfa 164 Super 3.0l.
The Alfa had the worse turning circle imaginable. Making a 3 point turn on a mini roundabout
is embarrassing. The engine was easily sufficient compensation ----

Mercedes 380SLC. Pleasant and capable motorway cruiser

Porsche 911T. Very good all rounder and featured in Classic and Sports car.
I believe the next owner wrapped it around a tree.

Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual. It's rare that the cheapest model of a car is easily the best drivers car.
Having previously owned a V12 version of the XJS the late 80's 3.6 with Recaro sports pack and stiffened suspension was a revelation. And no slouch either.

Alfa Romeo 1300 Junior. The smallest engined classic that I've owned. Not great on a long motorway trip but find a decent B road and that willing little buzz box
combination of engine and exhaust just 'sings' to the driver in a way that only Italian cars do. Clever hood could be easily lowered one handed whilst at the traffic lights.
A lovely little thing.

I also kept this Veloce with the more powerful 2.0l engine. Plenty of torque and power but the engine lacked the character of the 1300.

Mercedes 230SL Pagoda manual. Not as nimble as the Alfa but an enjoyable classic

Porsche 911 2.2S as a 2.7 RS. Made 190 BHP on the rolling road but didn't feel much livelier than the 911T until 6000 RPM. I honestly preferred the 911T. But still an enjoyable drive.

Lamborghini Urraco V8.
A very exiting ride. Felt like driving a V8 go kart. Best handling car that I've owned and the Lambo
V8's sound fantastic. Also very reliable. The V8 Lambo's are very special.

Classic and Sports car wanted a small article about the Jalpa and came round to my workplace for the picture.
The photographer insisted that I stand by it and look moody. I felt a total plonker.

I love all old Lancia's and my old Flaminia never fails to impress with it's 'money no object' engineering and handling. Been with me for the last 5 years.

Old cars are a great hobby.
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Fabulous.

And that Lambo dished wheel is utterly fantastic.

My best mate had two Alfa 75 V6s, so the model before yours with I think the same engine. They used to turn fairly easily on the throttle! Revving the engine at rest used to also make the whole car rock from side to side, which created a certain theatre to go with the fantastic noise...
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Ferdynine11
DDK addict

Post by Ferdynine11 »

My first 911 from back in the day - I look like an extra from Heartbeat- it’s a shame the car didn’t have one. Not a great start to 911 ownership (it had a few issues shall we say) but you have to start somewhere I guess....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk