my 356 journey

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: my 356 journey

Post by mycar »

All coming along very nicely, I do like the seats, they're a very nice contrast with the carpets.
Disco wrote:yes,

on that topic - does anyone have any idea what kind of tyres I should be putting on the rims?

they're 5.5 x14's
I have Michelin XAS tyres, they're excellent (from what I remember :roll: ) but there's a recent thread over on the Registry about tyres.... unfortunately this evening their forum is down (down down, deeper and down) but it'll be back for all the world to see... tomorrow I think. I'll get back to you.

Regards, Mike.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Thanks Mike, very kind of you to respond.

cheers
joe
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

The interior is looking gorgeous.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Thanks Bootsy. It is looking really rather special isnt it. I cant recommend Gary enough - the job has been done so well and he's really taken the car to a different level. When I look back at the old pictures of the tired blue leatherette and spongey seats, I get a real sense of achievement.

in regards to stickers, I've got some ideas- but I need to have a think about sizes of white discs etc. I'll be in touch soon - does it take long to produce the decals once the cheque has been cut?

Joe
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

no, I can usually get stuff run out within a week.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

That interior is amazing. Excellent work!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
mycar

Post by mycar »

The thread on The Registry was about Michelin XZX tyres but it's just been merged with a tyre sticky and makes an appearance on page six. Lots of info on 356 tyres here...

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... =1&t=27101

And Martin was asking about tyres late last year...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46320&p=385119

Regards, Mike.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

perfect Mike, thanks for digging out the info for me.

I'm very lucky in that Garry is looking after the build and has taken it upon himself to sort the tyre situation out for me... That is of course, if the wheels actually turn up.

what your post did do however, was allow me to waste an hour or so on youtube... starting with the classic porsche driving clip that you posted. its lovely to see your A. ( I think I said at the time of purchase, that it was exactly the same as my old one... the one that got away ) its a really really beautiful car. - now you have your engine sorted, it must provide you with great times/memories to come.

fingers crossed mine'll do the same in the near future.

cheers
joe
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

couple more pictures of progress for your perusal ... first of all the doors, with the window and frame in. This has been a really time consuming exercise... I can imagine that my botched job, re- done has turned the air blue in Garry's workshop.

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

its really coming together... check out the quality of the door gaps! - superb news...

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

and a couple more pictures of the wheels... that have finally arrived... don't ask how !

I can see some pitting there...

better from a few feet away:

Dave Lane
DDK addict

Post by Dave Lane »

Hi Joe ,got to say that your car looks so much better than the last time I saw it last year. Interior and spray job
look excellent 8) ,and think the new wheels will look better on mine :lol: Look forward to seeing it and you soon
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90

LHD 60 15window Delux [sold]
LHD 62 splitscreen Crewcab [sold]
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

I've got a couple more teasers for you, the hard to fathom door frames and windows are making progress. I think the hardest part of the rebuild is that the person that’s putting it back together didn’t take it apart. - there's a good lesson there. If I was to do this again, I think I'd take it apart slowly, and detail each and every dismantle stage in pictures, so that when it went back together, it would be as simple as looking at pictures rather than exploded views in parts catalogues!

That said, Garry has done a fantastic job once again and the door gaps look superb.

one with the door slightly open:

and a better picture of the door gap:

Managed to find a place to purchase some smallish number plates, Motorbike ones, from Ireland. Excellent service - I was put in touch with them by Alex and Neil - thanks for that guys - they look great. The back of the car is exactly how I wanted it to look. Just need some chrome exhaust ends to finish it off, while I save up for a new engine!

And here are a set of Fuchs offered up for a tyre size, sorry Bootsy et al, these aren’t my wheels repainted :) - mine are now in the tyre shop getting fitted. I must admit, the silver and black really does go... maybe the Marmite wheels will need a re-think!

I'm down at Garrys workshop at the weekend, so I'll take some more shots of the whole car.. I think its pretty close now to being ready for a re-MOT...and its first drive since 2012...
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Disco wrote:I think its pretty close now to being ready for a re-MOT...and its first drive since 2012...
:cheers:
sladey

Post by sladey »

Disco wrote:
I know these are a bit marmite. Speaking as a fully qualified lawyer and amateur gynaecologist I think the alloy and yellow are too tonally similar and therefore you need a contrasting colour between the two to make them pop - as you have on your bodywork stripe with the black pinstripe (which looks fantastic).

Could you try some thin black tape on the wheels to see if it makes it pop more. Or tell me to mind my own business :lol:
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah