914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion

Post by defianty »

Thanks all.

rhd racer wrote:Looks gorgeous Stephen, keep it up.

Hanging the doors must have involved a nervous poo somewhere along the line, but you skipped over the details thankfully :lol: A horrible job at the best of times but with this level of finish I can't imagine.

I doubt you used the 'trolley jack and a long piece of wood under the door' one man approach......
I was really nervous hanging the first one and luckily all went well. With the drivers door I lifted it from the back of the daily and held it under one arm. Early doors are so light. When I got to the garage I just knelt down, grabbed a couple of bolts with the other hand and screwed them in. It's best if you don't over think things sometimes :lol:
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Ignoramus question: are there aftermarket/replica chrome bumper conversions available to replace the big black safety bumpers later/US cars came with? Yours are v. nice. It also strikes me what a bold design element the 914's front sidelights are. We're accustomed to them, but they really had quite unique. John.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

jjeffries wrote:Ignoramus question: are there aftermarket/replica chrome bumper conversions available to replace the big black safety bumpers later/US cars came with? Yours are v. nice. It also strikes me what a bold design element the 914's front sidelights are. We're accustomed to them, but they really had quite unique. John.
Yes - you can buy stainless steel replicas of the originals from Auto Atlanta or Mittelmotor. Pricey at £1500 or more (plus you'll need the rubbers, too). You can also buy glassfibre replicas which incorporate a moulding of the rubber bit from a company in Germany for around £600 a pair.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

jjeffries wrote:Ignoramus question: are there aftermarket/replica chrome bumper conversions available to replace the big black safety bumpers later/US cars came with? Yours are v. nice
Some fool sold those to him. :roll:
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Green Ernie
Married to the DDK

Post by Green Ernie »

Wow! Looking forward to seeing your car at Brooklands. We got back from the 50th event at Stuttgart on Monday, great week and some rare 914s on display in the museum and some 120 plus 914s outside. Brooklands should be a great weekend.
defianty

Post by defianty »

Being the original door to the car the drivers side window regulator went in without a hitch and this time I took a closer look at the height adjuster and concluded that something has to be wrong with the passenger side as no amount of adjustment makes any difference to the height. Looks like I'll have to tear that one down again.

But great to get the drivers side operating perfectly and fitting well.

I also had to make an adjustment on the engine lid and couldn't resist this shot whilst I was there.

Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

It's all been said before, but what a wonderful thread. Your eye for detail makes me think I should tear mine to bits and start again.

Top draw stuff!!
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
defianty

Post by defianty »

Creating a Sport Muffler.

I picked up a Leistritz exhaust a couple of years ago on ebay as it was cheap and thought it would make an excellent candidate to convert into a sport muffler. I'd seen instructions over on Pelican on how to do this and just a few months ago the thread I had bookmarked was updated with a slightly revised design. So with those instructions I set about making the modifications.

Original Pelican Thread. Post 40. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... st10058354

Here's what I started with.

When James' (23e Heure) GT conversion was finished the exhaust fitted to the car originally had an awful, ear piercing drone so I swapped it with this one temporarily and it was much quieter for the run down to Le Mans Classic. So that confirmed my £70 ebay purchase was a bargain :lol:

I won't go through every step as speedracer54 on Pelican did a great job explaining the process. However here's a few photos of the modifications of mine.

Cutting into the case.

Mask on!

After a bit of cleaning.

Marking out the parts to be cut out.

New hole

Part of one of the pieces cut out put into the hole so it matches the original at the other end.

Once this part of the pipe was cut I need to add the holes similar to the other section. Just look at how I managed to get them all perfectly in line and the same size :lol: :oops:

A couple of sections had to be sealed off to redirect the flow so with a cardboard template in place I could make the plates to weld in.

With the internal modifications complete here's how it now flows.

Finally I could add the distinctive twin outlet pipes.

After stitching it all back together and giving it a coat of silver/grey VHT paint here it is ready to fit to the car.

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like now. I've seen a couple of YouTube clips and a couple of first hand accounts say it shouldn't be too obnoxious but I'll have to wait and see. If it's too loud I'll treat myself to a new one and chalk this up as another learning experience.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Excellent... :cheers:
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Wot he said
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Very interesting!
I have a very old works 2 in 3 out silencer that is getting a bit too much when all 3 pipes are open and have a new stock 2 in 1 out Dansk in St Steel which I was planning to convert to 2 in 3 out.
Your diagram is very helpful.

Hope you can do a sound track/video when running.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
defianty

Post by defianty »

Well I've conceded to defeat on getting the car ready for Brooklands 914/50. With a business to run and also now being back working full-time there's just not enough hours in the day. I've enjoyed every part of the project so far and I knew if I carried on with what little spare time I have now I'd start to hurry unnecessarily and end up working on the car whilst tired and that wouldn't be fun and after this much work I didn't want to start cutting corners. I was a little disappointed at first but the few hours I've had on the car over the last couple of weekends were enjoyable and it'll still be done with time to get it on the road before the end of the summer.

Last weekend I finally made up some fuel lines and got them fitted. A nice improvement over the original plastic ones.

Next week I should finally have the car on the ground after getting tyres fitted. That will be great, the car hasn't touched the ground in two and a half years!
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

a wise move....dont rush...enjoy...

whether I make CLM next year for the E Type is a constant question as I have done almost nothing the last 6 weeks.... :evil:
its another deadline I can do without....so I wont set it as one.....
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
defianty

Post by defianty »

I've spent a couple of hours every now and again when I can and also managed a few weekends too. The to do list now is just a few things, the main thing being to fit the engine. Once running well enough I should be able to take my first ride! Hopefully that's just a few weeks away now.

Last week the painter delivered the bonnet and boot lids and helped me put them straight on the car. Still a little bit of adjusting to go but not far off now.

I spent the last couple of evenings finishing off and bleeding the brakes. Unfortunately one of the rear calipers is no good. Typical as it's the only thing I've not touched on the car as they were refurbished only a few years ago. As I plan a full brake upgrade in the future I was reluctant to spend out on them again.

So with the brakes and handbrake functional it was time to get the car back on the ground. The first time in two and a half years!

The amount of random visits to the garage is now rather high :lol:
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Wonderful
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk