All change at Classic Porsche magazine...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: All change at Classic Porsche magazine...

Post by KS »

Thanks Roy - I've been in touch with the new editor (Dan Furr - currently editor of GT Purely Porsche and past editor of the ill-fated Ultimate Porsche) and I will probably contribute on a more ad hoc basis. He plans to do most of the magazine himself as the budget will be so low. That's part of the reason why I didn't want to carry on under the new ownership...

He's going to be a busy man as he will also be editor of 911 & Porsche World magazine... :shock:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Oh well, it was good whilst it lasted
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I see two become one before too long!
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Presumably there just isn't enough money in paper magazines for them to be viable these days? Then the content gets poorer, the circulation and revenue drops and the vicious circle continues.

It's a great shame as I don't enjoy online magazines, especially where they are plastered with adverts as that's the only way to make revenue.

Hey ho!

Graham
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I wonder if there is a market for an upmarket magazine along the likes of Magneto ,Airmighty etc. A more expensive but quality product?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

There’s been a few attempts and there’s this https://duckandwhale.co.uk/
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I have the first 5 issues of Duck and Whale but poor quality paper in a lot of it and to be honest I didn't think the writing was that good!
KS

Post by KS »

gridgway wrote:Presumably there just isn't enough money in paper magazines for them to be viable these days? Then the content gets poorer, the circulation and revenue drops and the vicious circle continues.

It's a great shame as I don't enjoy online magazines, especially where they are plastered with adverts as that's the only way to make revenue.

Hey ho!

Graham
It was Covid that did the damage to small publishing houses - WHSmith shut, Barnes & Noble shut in the USA... A long story but I'll tell you over a beer one day...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Sam

Post by Sam »

It also has the name of a shite gastro pub.

I fear I judged it harshly on that and assumed the content would be as poor as the name choice.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

The road rat seems to be doing OK ... but maybe it’s not reliant on numbers
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I know nothing about publishing but when a vw magazine like Hayburner is free for £7 postage for 4 issues(Yes I know that there are more adverts than content) you would think there would be a margin at a fiver when to be honest some months a few of the car mags can be quite threadbare aswell!
KS

Post by KS »

hot66 wrote:The road rat seems to be doing OK ... but maybe it’s not reliant on numbers
It's called vanity publishing (ie, produced at a loss just so the owners have the pleasure of printing the magazine they always wanted).
stichill99 wrote:I know nothing about publishing but when a vw magazine like Hayburner is free for £7 postage for 4 issues(Yes I know that there are more adverts than content) you would think there would be a margin at a fiver when to be honest some months a few of the car mags can be quite threadbare aswell!

Ever done a word count? Also, bear in mind that some of us have to actually make a living. Mags like Hayburner don't pay anyone for the features they write, relying on them to supply stories just so they can say 'Hey, look, I write for a magazine!'. Can you imagine LJK Setright or Denis Jenkinson doing that?
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Certainly not Jenks anyway!
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Keith,

Dreadful news, and I absolutely understand your decision.

I started my career with Unity (working for Elliott Roberts on Performance VW, then Louise Woodhams on PBMW, Stu Gallagher on GTPP, etc) and absolutely -loved- it. I had been working at a paper in London and knew I didn't want to do that forever, and this was the perfect out.

There's no way I could have gone that route if Kelsey had owned the magazines - not even a chance. I was lucky to have caught the last wave of demand for quality photography, paid well enough to sustain a decent existence (it helped that I was in my early 20s and was willing and able to work non-stop. But I really had a great time and was able to make a good living from it).

I admire your relentless pursuit of quality, and ability to continue producing a valuable product way past the time when others gave up. With your experience and overview of the publishing landscape, and I'm sure you'll work it out and smash it again :)
'68 912
KS

Post by KS »

Thank you Jamie, coming from you, that means a helluva lot. I'm still trying to come to terms with the situation, but let's see what the future holds...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel