Anyone waiting for UK registration on an imported vehicle ?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

32FlatSix
DDK addict

Re: Anyone waiting for UK registration on an imported vehicl

Post by 32FlatSix »

I've just read this and the NOVA applications site, being blissfully ignorant of the system, but now realise I may be in problems, so would welcome advice! I purchased a project 914 about 4 years ago from a guy who evidently imported it from the US as a non-runner. Along with the car and many loose parts of varying standard I got an original reg document and some NOVA forms. However I think the latter forms were just blank ( they're away in a container now ), but at the time I assumed I don't need to do anything with them until the car is virtually complete ( still a year or so away at least, due to a house project ) and it goes for it's MOT pre registration. It now looks like I'm wrong and the NOVA should have been submitted within 2 weeks of the car landing in the country. Can anyone advise what I should do now?
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Just go ahead and apply for it – the time lag shouldn't be a problem. There are many cars that have been imported years ago as projects which have never been registered. I presume you have some proof of duty/VAT being paid at the time of entry? If not, then you'll need to get in touch with the shipping company who brought it in (or the previous owner) to confirm.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
32FlatSix
DDK addict

Post by 32FlatSix »

Thanks Keith, I'll check for import paperwork or ask the original importer if I can't find anything.

Chris
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Anyone with recent experience of how long this is taking at the moment? I'm waiting again...
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

My 914 arrived early September- we got the Nova in early October and the reg no mid November - pretty quick I thought
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Thanks Clive
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

I have a 68 car half way through being built, I have the Nova paperwork, i assume i will need to wait until i have the car finished and have MOT'd the car before i can apply for its registration?
KS

Post by KS »

Correct. You could apply now if it's a VHI (ie, you're applying for classic status) and forgo the MOT – some get away with it, most don't – but things have changed these days and the chances are they will want to inspect the vehicle first, in which case it will need to be 'complete', not an obvious project in progress.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

To add a little to Keith's reply, based on recent-ish experience:

1) You don't need an MoT to register a 1968 car, if it meets the criteria for being MoT exempt going forward. Meaning substantially unmodified (detailed definition is published by DVLA).

2) If you have the original official government registration doc from the country from which you imported it (eg US title doc) you have a decent chance of a V5 without inspection or much other documentation being required.

3) If you don't have 2), DVLA will want proof of date of manufacture (from Porsche) and almost certainly further evidence that the physical car exists in finished form and is what you say it is. In my case they asked for an inspection but couldn't do it due to COVID. I haggled them down to photos and a video showing that the shiny car in some pics did indeed have the VIN shown in others. DVLA stated clearly that it needed to be a finished car.

If 1) and 2) are true, there's nothing to be lost by giving it a go, you might be lucky. Worst case is that DVLA want an inspection and you are not ready. There's a simple option on the inspection request form to say "oops, sorry, not ready for inspection". I don't know if they send your docs back in that case. In my case they kept my docs while we faffed about trying to arrange inspection and then reverting to video.
stuarts
DDK above all

Post by stuarts »

I'd agree with the above.

I had both the original Greek registration document, and a letter of authenticity from the AROC registration secretary, stating that the chassis number had been confirmed by Alfa Storico.

Certainly seemed to help, as reg docs came through in six weeks - correctly as a historic vehicle.
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

I didn’t bother with MOT- no problem!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

anglophone1 wrote:I didn’t bother with MOT- no problem!

That’s why he’s known as the Bantry Bandit in PCI ;)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
miles55
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by miles55 »

Mine came through today at second time of asking. It took a month.

Advice on here (and AROC) proved invaluable.
Formerly miles5
964 RS, Boxster S, Aston Martin Vanquish S, Disco 4, Mini R53 JCW
Previous Porsche history;
964 C4, 911 RS rep, 912, 911T Targa, 3.2 Carrera, SC
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Thanks to Andy and others I can now confirm that about three weeks after sending off full documentation and a covering letter I now have a V5 (historic status) for the targa. Thanks to all for guiding me through this process. I really appreciate all the help to achieve this smoothly and it would appear (as Richard said) the greatest issue for the dvla is concrete proof of age and official registration in the country where purchased. I must admit, when I set off on my adventure overland to Finland, documentation (of this kind) was the last thing on my mind. I was very keen to see documentation proving the targa was genuine (cardex etc) but I must thank Mika (the seller) in retrospect for having comprehensive official Finnish documents ready for signing on arrival. Without Mika’s attention to this detail I would have found it very difficult to register the targa now. It was the first time I have imported a car and I would urge anyone doing the same to get FULL documentation where you buy the car. Thank you so much Mika.

Hope this adds to the help already outlined in this thread.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Lightweight_911