Classic at the Castle - Hedingham 2014 pics and stuff

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Re: Classic at the Castle - Hedingham 2014 pics and stuff

Post by scalino65 »

Slope330 wrote:Bloody hell guys , even i don't look that old !
i was wearing my Porsche 'NOBODY S PERFECT ' T shirt .................

...and trying to shake off the Matt LeBlanc fellow.....:)
Slope330
I luv DDK!

Post by Slope330 »

MY NEW BEST FRIEND ........he also has a slope !!!!
much exchange of knowledge .........i did feel as his had only done 900 miles i knew more !
daily driver 930 SE
currently working through total rebuild '71 2.2 s
caring for '73 2.4 s
recent past;

993 cup;rs cs ; rs ;c2;gt2 ;gt2cs
'76 930, 3.0
'74 3.0 rs
'72/3 2.7 rs ;2.4 E;2.4 E Targa
'71 2.2 s
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Nice photo of my car Jonno. I was more than a little surprised to be able to drive to Hedingham at all. It was only finally road worthy on Friday morning and in the traditional way I was still working on it late on Saturday. I have a snagging list as long as my arm (or whiteboard) so at the moment it doesn't really survive close inspection. Even than I still fully expected to be spending my Sunday by a roadside somewhere in Hertfordshire waiting for the Greenflag contractor, so it was great to get to the show and meet fellow DDK-ers, Le Mans legends, author of my latest VW book, rock stars and TV celebrities.

We even made it back home to Bognor with no unplanned stops, although it took 4 hours including a coffee break and many quick halts to secure an engine cover that kept turning into a duckling tail.

>C
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Hmmmm

Not wishing to sound like a grumpy old man here but there's something about classics at the castle that leaves me a bit empty. I really really enjoy seeing all my mates, and it's usually the last chance in the calendar year to see so many together.

The cars are lovely but after a while you get overload, and stuff that I would normally pore over for ages gets nothing but a cursory glance. I know a few people had a bit of a messy night the evening before which can be a lot of fun, but a £90 dinner isn't really my cup of tea.

I appreciate we're all different, and we all get different things out of the cars, but I wonder is there any scope for arranging someone else around the event - not looking to overshadow it in any way - but something that would complement it.

My favourite DDK events have involved driving, drinking, watching racing (a bit), and cars generally.

Suggestions might be:-
a. a cheaper night out on the Saturday - informal drinking together
Or
b. a drive out early in the morning ending up at the castle (don't know how good the roads are in that region) - this might also be incompatible with option a - could be an either/or thing though - nice meal and company and early night for early start and nice drive, or nice meal, messy drinking, late start and fall asleep under a tree at the Castle.

I also used to love the Husborne Crawley autojumble - if an autojumble were incorporated into the main event I feel it would be popular but that's really down to the organisers - I presume it's been considered and rejected. I realise ebay has killed the autojumble market to an extent but I know I'm far more likely to part with my hard-earned if I can see what I'm buying. It might help to give the event a more across the board appeal - you could have a clean end and a dirty end! It works at Essen!

I'm not looking to organise something. and wouldn't want anything to get too organised - just wondering at the moment if I am the only one that felt this way (it wouldn't be the first time). I'd welcome people's thoughts

Cheers

Mark
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Have to say I agree.

CATC has been lucky over the years being blessed with great weather on many of the days it has been held.

Maybe it's time for an inaugural DDK annual event :wink:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I must admit that I spend a very small proportion of the time at Hedingham each year looking at the cars - most of the time is spent chatting to people.

An annual DDK event somewhere more central sounds like a good idea...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

I enjoyed it more this year than the past 2 as I got to chat with some of you. There are some decent roads that way but you need to go north of there into the deep depths of Suffolk where the roads can be fast or filled with tractors...
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Sam

Post by Sam »

I agree. I basically paid the entry fee to chat to you lot and get the low down on the latest Prodigy album. The cars were an aside.

I'm not sure that matters tho, does it? It serves quite nicely as a DDK AGM without the hassle of organisation.

And I definitely don't want it moved any further away from Cambridge. How would I get there?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

I use to the go for the cars, now I go to meet up with people some of whom I only see once per year. Some of those people I see, I actually speak with.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

left4dead wrote:I use to the go for the cars, now I go to meet up with people some of whom I only see once per year. Some of those people I see, I actually speak with.
The others see you coming and run away?
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Exactly. Including you!
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

:oops: :oops:
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Post by Simon Rudge »

Enjoyed meeting people as much as the cars! I felt it was much smaller than last year and the parade really needed a sort out.

I like the idea of a DDK annual event, I am rubbish at 'clubs' and do not want DDK to become something like that. Next it would be newsletters committees and AGMs. Ruination.

However, Bootsy, you have my subs!

The noise of a 917 can make a big difference....
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

Great event . Terrific turn out of 356s , and the 3 separate parades covered old and modern Porsches . The trade stands are always worth a visit to see the metalwork involved in a resto. Very happy for the organisers to keep organising it at Castle Hedingham forever , we are lucky to have a landowner with an interest in hosting it . Parking next to a million dollar 4 cam open top car was worth the visit alone.

Great people , got to talk to a few more this year , even Jason spared me a moment of his busy time . Top tradesmen for imparting knowledge and advice were Bruce Cooper , Steve Winter , and notably Robert Gant .....any man brave enough to buy a restored pre A at auction deserves respect.....

Finally got to meet the famous John Ruston , who kindly allowed me to open the lid on his Carrera 2 to see that 4 cam engine ....later driven down the hill by Mrs Maxted-Page....piggy bank still not big enough :lol:

revo
DDK slapper chatter

Post by revo »

Tend to agree with Sladey and Jason, really enjoyed it but think it could be a lot better weekend if we could all get together the day before for driving, food and messy beers. As so many people are up for traveling to Hedingham it would make sense to go somewhere nearby, how about Lavenham? Beautiful village approx 25mins north of Hedingham, plenty of places for food and drink and easy to get too.

Just a thought.