1973 911 E RHD - Gemini Blue

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 1973 911 E RHD - Gemini Blue

Post by Darren65 »

Like Dougie I've also gone for a GT diff as I wanted a plate type unit like a ZF....I can't really comment having not tried it yet but it gets great reviews in the States and Matt Monson is a real gent to deal with.

Racers testify that the quality is superb and pretty good value too compared with a used ZF unit.....
Darren65 wrote: Whilst looking out for a ZF LSD I came across a very concise appraisal of diff options currently available and a number of recommendations for the LSD supplied by Guard Transmissions……I sought the advice of Mike Bainbridge and he suggested for various reasons the GT diff would indeed be a superior option for me… http://www.guardtransmissionllc.com/ ...Many thanks to Matt Monson at GT for all his help and advice, a great guy to deal with.

Not sure if binning the ZF route is a cheat but at least you can't see this one……..which I think is a great, great shame!…….

Cheers,
sladey

Post by sladey »

I run a quaife in mine - driving it every day.

I love mine but I have no frame of reference to compare it with. I know some racers on Impact bumpers are very sniffy about it and prefer motorsport-oriented ones because (I believe ) they also help stability on deceleration - which the quaife doesn't. However I also understand they make a graunching noise every time you reverse - which the quaife doesn't.

For my every day driving and the odd track day the quaife is great
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

Sounds like the Quaife is the answer for me.

On another note the doors on my car are not in great shape, the option is new skins and restore or buy new. I will price both and make the decision.

Are there any real alternatives to Porsche original, I was curious if anyone offers a straight replacement with more modern safety protection built in or just alternatives?
DDK#694
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

Alternative door with better protection would be a 964 door. Probably about the same price 2nd hand as a new door skin.
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have a quaife in my hillclimb race car in a 915 transmission, does a great job.

No noise, smooth in operation and effective. no maintenance required.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

72911E wrote:Alternative door with better protection would be a 964 door. Probably about the same price 2nd hand as a new door skin.
I just searched on line and see you posted about door skins back in 2007, did you use 964 doors on your own car?

Are they a straight fit?
DDK#694
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

I used them on my 72E when I had a bare metal paint done back in 2008, they fitted straight on. Only thing to check again would be on the inside of the door for fixings for door and map pockets, are the holes in the same place?

I am sure u could back date it further if required as there are other subtle differences. Main advantage of a 964 door, it does not rust like an early door.
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Is there a noticeable difference when you close the door with the extra weight?

My 993 sounds and feels solid when you close the door. My old 911t sounded light and exact when it closed. This might not make a lot of sense but I loved how mechanical and delicate the earlier car sounded when the door closed. Probably more to do with the rest of the body.

Just curious if there is a difference in feel between your two cars with the different doors.
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

On the subject of doors, I have two options available to me a set of doors from an SC or 964. The SC has the same holes for the wiring loom were the 964 changed. I found this useful thread on door differences.

It might help others.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ility.html
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

I haven't posted any updates for sometime, mainly due to time commitments and a busy home life. Over the last 10 weeks the body shop have been working constantly to get the car complete and off the jig and limit the hire time of the celette brackets. My car now actually looks like a car rather than a collection of parts. Its great to see it at this stage.

Still on the jig

then onto the frame with all the welding complete.

DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

I know it might not be the purist route that I have chosen to go down (saving as much metal as possible) but the car was in such a state that new original Porsche panels suited me better. I am happier knowing that every part of the car is free of rust and solid in terms of metal quality. I can see things slowing down from this point, albeit this is probably going to be more enjoyable getting the suspension refreshed and starting to build up the car.

I will try and get more updates and images of the progress.

Mike B is working his magic on the gearbox and engine. LSD going in and with the engine after some complications with the pistons that that arrived from Porsche (T ones sent rather than E) Mike has managed to source me a set of original S pistons from another engine build he is working on. Really pleased at the change this is likely to bring in terms of output but with the benefit of the low down torque from the E engine. Could not be happier with this set up .
DDK#694
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

You must be over the moon to have a 'car' again!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Delighted, that's exactly what it feels like. To be honest the shell was an absolute mess, badly rusted, loads of botched repairs and miles out of alignment. When it was first put onto the jig it was so far off square and the front end was sitting very high - not good at all. All sorted now.
DDK#694
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Tp81 wrote:To be honest the shell was an absolute mess, badly rusted, loads of botched repairs and miles out of alignment. When it was first put onto the jig it was so far off square and the front end was sitting very high - not good at all. All sorted now.
Hi Tom,
That's starting to look excellent. Good on you for doing it properly. It will surely be a great feeling to know that all the underpinnings are sound, strong and lined up properly. And you should only have to do it once, ever!
Keep those pics coming. I'm looking forward to another look at your parts stash as it starts to come into play.
Cheers, Richard.
kitten1
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitten1 »

[quote=" To be honest the shell was an absolute mess, badly rusted, loads of botched repairs and miles out of alignment.[/quote]

Hi Tom

Congratulations. You must have had a lot of sleepless nights getting your car to this stage. I shudder at the thought of what my car must be like under the paint.

You'll maybe have it ready for the Porsche in the Glen 2016.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration :bounce:

Margaret
IN LOVE WITH MY 1970 911T RHD. (Still my fav)
1987 Carrera 3.2 Targa in Signal Orange (bloody gorgeous)
1973 914 1.7L Zambezi Green (great wee car)
2004 Cayenne 3.2 (the dogs car)
1965 356C (an absolute delight to own and drive)