Off topic cycling chat for the cyclisti out there..

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Re: Off topic cycling chat for the cyclisti out there..

Post by Mick Cliff »

Opening Classic - Ian Stannard 1st, EBH 3rd

Good to see Team Sky have applied a more 'involved' way of racing by being individually aggressive, rather than the combined team locomotive way. The loco way worked, but it was boring!
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

He and the BMC guy look like they've just finished a shift down the coalmine!

1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Well Tom isn't trying to hide his form. He clearly is very hungry to get another classic this year. Did I forget to mention Lars Boom before. He is another ex Cyclocross star. I think he has been a nearly man as couple of times and last year he crashing in Flanders? Maybe, if he doesn't puncture, this year he will break through on the road?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

neilbardsley wrote:Storck frames are top of the tree! ....If I ever sold the 912 I think it would just about buy one :)
A cheap way on to a Storck here Neil. Aluminimium w carbon fork, but it will be a nice bike I'm sure. This is the same guy I got my fenomalist from at less than half new price, and he looks after his bikes..this was his race bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storck-Vision ... 567wt_1020
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Burma-Shave wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:Storck frames are top of the tree! ....If I ever sold the 912 I think it would just about buy one :)
A cheap way on to a Storck here Neil. Aluminimium w carbon fork, but it will be a nice bike I'm sure. This is the same guy I got my fenomalist from at less than half new price, and he looks after his bikes..this was his race bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storck-Vision ... 567wt_1020
No new bikes for me! My 6 already have Mrs B tutting. My current race bike Klein weights about 8kg, which is pretty heavy by todays standards but still isn't nearly the limiting performance factor!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Finally got a semi decent ride in today! Stunning weather for it :)

Bit of small SUV lifestyle box ticking ;) Just off road, roof rack, kids, bikes ;)

At the top of the climb, most of which I did with an entirely flat front tyre. The tyre being pretty much stuck to the rim was a brucy bonus when it came to put a new tube in. :evil:

TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

I've just bought some Pace RC35 XCS forks. They are from 1993 so are the same age as my mtb. Cool! Couldnt afford them back in the day as a poor student so am well pleased now. Just need the time to fit them and use the bike now.

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Love the Pace stuff, suitably retro for us! I doubt they stand comparison to any decent modern air fork, but they really look the part :)
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Just copied this from the General Chat section in case anyone can help....

Before I do anything drastic, does anyone have a bottom bracket tapping and facing tool I can borrow, or has one to sell?
Taps are English/BSA, left and right.
I will need to borrow for 6 MONTHS (!) from around next October, as my bike is in the Philippines! It costs too much to bring it back to the UK to have the work done.
Thanks
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

My only ride over the w/e was an hour crawling with the wife and kids around the country park. Doesn't really count as exercise but at least I got out on the bike for a bit (unfortunately it was either a bike ride with the family or a drive in the 356). My attempt at exercise was a 45 mins run in the morning with some efforts on the way back.

Very strange to see Peter Sagan dropped in the final k of a race. I only saw the last k so hard to know what he had done before then but normally you would of put alot money on him winning that. Quick Step are clearly starting the session very well. Plus, although Fabian Cancellara didn't make the final move he looks to be about where he was last year. That week off in January not really costing him much. Flanders is going to be a very good race.
Last edited by neilbardsley on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

What intrigues me, Neil - and I've noticed this in a lot of your posts - is that you are on first name terms with some, but not all, riders. For the benefit of the non-aficionados surnames are needed, otherwise your comments might become meaningless to them.....
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Mick Cliff wrote:What intrigues me, Neil - and I've noticed this in a lot of your posts - is that you are on first name terms with some, but not all, riders. For the benefit of the non-aficionados surnames are needed, otherwise your comments might become meaningless to them.....
Actually it's not that simple. Being very poor of memory, and spelling, I random choose the name that I can write! However, point taken previous post edited.
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

Gary71 wrote:Love the Pace stuff, suitably retro for us! I doubt they stand comparison to any decent modern air fork, but they really look the part :)
Cheers Gary. Pace was always the holy grail for me having had a colleague buy some RC 35's for his Kona in 93 when I was a student with a part time job in halfords. I have a suspicion I'll end up spending as much as their purchase price on refurbing and fitting them. Hey ho. I never learn but have never ridden a bike with front (or any) suspension since 93 so I don't know what I'm missing.

Now if only I had my 30" waist, hair on my head where I don't now and was under 11 stone again like in 93. :lol:

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

TheEasyLife wrote:Now if only I had my 30" waist, hair on my head where I don't now and was under 11 stone again like in 93. :lol:
Don't we all, don't we all! :roll:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Don't think I was ever 30" waist... and under 11 stone? :shock: Were you fully grown in '93 ;)
TheEasyLife wrote:... but have never ridden a bike with front (or any) suspension since 93 so I don't know what I'm missing.
Same here until recently (ref the Cannondale in pic above). Having made the move to front it definitely makes things easier, your eyesight doesn't blur as much and your hands don't go numb!

Downside is the weight of course, but that just means you have to spend more on the rest of the bike to bring it back down again... :drunken: