912 Targa : A slow restore / refresh

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 912 Targa : A slow restore / refresh

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you Bootsy you are a star. That is exactly what I need. Donation coming once.

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

My pleasure. Glad it's going to good use
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

1)
Next I need to get my hands on the rubber seal that sits behind the wing mirror and frame. Do I need to look for the specific exact type, buy a general one (most seems to come with mirrors, or type to make one?

I think I will visit my local Halford firstly to see if I can just buy a seal that fits.

2)
What type of sealant is suitable for gluing a mirror into the wing mirror frame?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

neilbardsley wrote:1)
Next I need to get my hands on the rubber seal that sits behind the wing mirror and frame. Do I need to look for the specific exact type, buy a general one (most seems to come with mirrors, or type to make one?
Neil - I'm not clear as to which seal you're talking about ... do you need the seal between the mirror glass & housing or the seal between the mirror base & the door ?
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Probably because I'm being unclear.

I was talking about needing to get a seal between the mirror base & the door.

Should there also be a seal between the mirror and the housing? Here I assume that there would be some sealant/glue?
Lightweight_911

Neil - I think I've got a couple of original seals that go under the base of the mirror ... I'll look later & report back.
Andy

Lightweight_911

This is what I found Neil:

They originally came with the larger ('68-'73) Durant mirror but I think the base on the smaller Diurant mirror is the same size.

If of any interest, pm me your address & I'll stick one in the post.
Andy

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Progress!

It appears that my car has been painted and MT is help to assemble. Hopefully lots of pictures to follow.
mycar

Post by mycar »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Image
Nice Jumper that, Andy. Noticed it before but didn`t like to mention it.

Are you actually wearing the jumper whilst taking the photographs ?

Mike.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

neilbardsley wrote:Progress!

It appears that my car has been painted and MT is help to assemble. Hopefully lots of pictures to follow.
Excellent, look forwards to seeing some pictures
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Lightweight_911

mycar wrote: Nice Jumper that, Andy. Noticed it before but didn`t like to mention it.

Are you actually wearing the jumper whilst taking the photographs ?

Mike.

Yes, Mike, it's amazing what parts you can find tucked away in the recesses of an old wooly jumper ! :P
Andy

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I now need more help from the DDK collective. MT is putting the cars back together and has noticed that the front/rear bonnet/engine lid latches have come back from the plated with the aluminum retanner that fits on the spring over the pin!! A quick call to Karmann Konnect seems to confirm that you can't buy them individually and maybe you can't buy the latches!! (I will post a picture when I get home) If anybody has any it would be great appreciated.

Clearly I've pushed back on the platers to look for the missing part. Thank goodness I sent them pictures of the parts when I asked them to quote so I have the evidence that the parts were complete when sent.

I also sent them some horn grills to chrome but they have come back no better than they went so MT is fitting some that he has.

It was a frustrating conversation as I believed the platers were ok. I spoke specifically to Richtie at Karmann Konnect at Hedingham and he confirmed that he has used them many times (they are next to each other). However, I got feedback from MT that this is the some of the worse plating / chroming that he has seen. Add that to the missing bits and I'm starting to be quite out of pocket!! Clearly the platers didn't react will to me telling them that someone was saying that there work was the worst he had seen (no names mentioned). They counter with he doesn't know what he is talking about. I point that that he has restored a number of rather nice cars and does!! I think you can see how this conversation goes if voices get raised (which didn't happen). I'm 100% behind MT's opinion.

Next step is that I, and the plates, have both agreed to look at the pictures before / after and they are lookinig for the parts. I seem to rememeber someone posting before about platers losing bits so it does happen!

Actually it looks like the retainer isn't rubber

[Edit]

I've just spoken to Roger Bray Restorations

£101 + £115 to replace the latches! Ouch!!
Last edited by neilbardsley on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Which bit are you missing? The part at the end of the shaft that holds the spring in place?

This part?

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Rear-trun ... 14TLGB.htm

If so, I 'might' have one, maybe even 2. I will have a look at the weekend if these are the parts you need.
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

The retainer is Mazak and cannot be plated, they haven't lost them, they have dissolved. I don't think you can blame the platers for that.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:Which bit are you missing? The part at the end of the shaft that holds the spring in place?

This part?

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Rear-trun ... 14TLGB.htm

If so, I 'might' have one, maybe even 2. I will have a look at the weekend if these are the parts you need.
Yes that bit. MT has told me it's aluminum. Hopefully the same bit for a 912 v 914? I need 2 to any help much appreciated