my 356 journey

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Re: my 356 journey

Post by Disco »

Mr G,

Always good to hear from you. The thread was in the members section, but i've just had it moved to a non members section. Just the one porsche, sadly - I had to give up the blue one to buy this old dog. :) - wife's rules and she wanted a kitchen. - slowly its improving, hope to have it ready for the early summer. - fingers crossed it'll be another good year.

as an aside, I managed to connect with Matt W and Pete Fowler on Facebook. - thats means pretty much everyone I used to know at Coventry I'm in contact with .... maybe one of these days I can organise a catch up for the old crew and to hear the old war stories, from Adidas trainers to stocks and bonds via ariel atoms.

keep in touch.

Joe
ollieg
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ollieg »

Ahh 'wife's rules'..know them very well. Just had a VERY expensive extension built - more like half a house. My missus is now spending my hard earned classic porsche budget on vintage italian chandeliers, induction hobs, marble tiles and posh floorboards! I'd be perfectly happy camped out in the garage..

I'll have a look on FB for the old crew. A meet up would be a laugh...

Looking forward to seeing the 356 on the road - love the yellow stripe. Made me think of this little beauty I've seen at the Goodwood Revival (although I realise the stripe's going the wrong way!).

O.

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

clearly this is its better looking twin:

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Joe,

Well I also have just seen your thread and looked through the 4 pages. A lot of work for sure, but you have kept with it and not given up. I reckon you have learnt a lot along the way.

Well done indeed. The effort was really worthwhile.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Something a little different. The yellow matches the colour of the stripe. Reckon these could be a marmite moment......

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Have to see how they look once on. I've never been convinced by Fuchs detailed in any colour other than black
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It's your car so you can do whatever you want - but I have a feeling those wheels won't stay that way for long ........... hopefully !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

ollieg wrote:Ahh 'wife's rules'..know them very well. Just had a VERY expensive extension built - more like half a house. My missus is now spending my hard earned classic porsche budget on vintage italian chandeliers, induction hobs, marble tiles and posh floorboards! I'd be perfectly happy camped out in the garage..

I'll have a look on FB for the old crew. A meet up would be a laugh...

Looking forward to seeing the 356 on the road - love the yellow stripe. Made me think of this little beauty I've seen at the Goodwood Revival (although I realise the stripe's going the wrong way!).

O.

That's Vincent Gaye's Ferrari 250GT SWB. He's no mean driver and he also restored the hippy 917 recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoTkRPUYXL4

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/article ... he-917-021

>C
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

yes, I think you're right - I think the proof will be in the pudding, when they're on the car. hopefully they'll look ok.

on that topic - does anyone have any idea what kind of tyres I should be putting on the rims?

they're 5.5 x14's

Thanks
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

few more pictures to whet the appetite :

left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

Looks like you're getting close and it's all looking good, Joe. :cool:

What's your plan engine wise?
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
AK1040
DDK Newbie

Post by AK1040 »

Hi Jo the wheels look great ,can't wait to see it out on the road, I have just got my cars out ready to use on the road, hope you liked the blast up elham valley last week. Just about to get the window rubbers to put in the T5 , don't know how to retro fit outer strips any tips from any one as car is now finished thanks Neil .
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Steve,

Yep, almost there. Hopefully I'll have something that I can enjoy this year. Regards to the engine, I'm not sure yet, if I'm honest I haven't really thought about it, if I do anything it'll have to be in a year or so. As with all these things, I've gone double over my budget.! So I'll need to squirrel some money away some how. The engine is currently one from an A, so I may well sell it as a runner once a new one has been purchased and is ready to go in.

Last thing I want is the car off the road for lengthy periods after this one.. I always said that I didn't want to be the guy that took 2 years to do a resto. Here I am 2 years later, with a car that's off the road!!

Ah well, it's been worth it and as Roy says, I've learnt an awful lot along the way.

Thanks for your nice comments
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

AK1040 wrote:Hi Jo the wheels look great ,can't wait to see it out on the road, I have just got my cars out ready to use on the road, hope you liked the blast up elham valley last week. Just about to get the window rubbers to put in the T5 , don't know how to retro fit outer strips any tips from any one as car is now finished thanks Neil .

Hi Neil, Yep - a great day, thank you. did you get my text message?

I'm not sure about the window rubbers, hopefully some one on here'll pipe up. it might be worth dropping a note on the 356 board ( more people will read it ) and I'm sure that someone like Roy'll be able to help.

the plan is to have the car ready in the next month or so.( Garry dependant ) perhaps we can time it with you guys coming over for a spot of lunch? I'll drop you a PM.

Joe
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

while I await my wheel delivery from SVP ( which incidentally has taken 3 weeks of constant chasing, almost every day with a stock ' they'll be with you tomorrow' answer - but still they havent turned up ....)

I thought I'd share with you just a couple of pictures of the interior as it comes together. Basically the interior is now done. the seats are in, the carpet is in place. And there's a lovely Nardi steering wheel too, that just sets off the colours perfectly.

and another of the seats:

it looks absolutely fantastic, I cant wait to get it back... just the window frames to sort out now... which is posing quite a problem ( as they are hard ) and a few things ( cosmetic ) like bonnet straps, wing mirrors and maybe headlight grills.

its close, very close....