3.0 RS underway

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Re: 3.0 RS underway

Post by 74rsman »

Cool, thx for the encouragement.
The inner wing has taken a turn. I cut back a fair bit but its a bit scary at the mo!
No fear!

I've not seen that much replaced without going the whole hog and doing a full side on a jig. I'm not going that far so I'll do the rear section in one big chunk and play the little bit by ear.

I'm mindful of cutting the top edge of the old section out till I'm ready as its bracing back to what's left of the roofline. I'll take the weight off engine mounts when the time comes. I don't think I'll tackle it till I get a full qtr to pop over it too.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Had a visit from a mate in his newly 3.6 equipped targa. What a noise!, what a rush. Kindly reminded me why these cars are worth every deep cut n scuffed knuckle. They stir the soul.

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

More snip n chop n snip n fit. Managed to make a very expensive 964 speedster donor panel small enough to plug the big gap. Will lap over the old solid panel along the bottom and up the arch. Will cut the old inner out up top and fit the new inner top edge under and in place. Should be fun.. Image
'll patch the top bit up to the old window frame. I can see why changing a full panel is one of the bigger jobs!

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

If I plop a clubsport sticker on the front wing I can claim it's a rare bodywork delete option and sell it for 1 million pounds. Muhahaha

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

In for a penny today. I thought I'd cut out the sunroof cartridge. Its old git heavy when you get it out with all the Gubbins in place. I'm not going all out lightweight but having done a car like this before and leaded in the existing pane (+kg) I figured
I would try and do it properly in steel.

I haven't got a full roof skin ££££££ but I do have the imp guys steel weld in panel that's made for the 911 so that should be fun.

I got the cartridge cut all around the internal tabs, freed up the glue perim then remembered it spot welded on the front edge of the roof tray and the rear edge is folded over. I cut the front edge leaving a decent return to trim back. The back edge is a bit trickier as I didn't want to cut any outer skin or put much heat through it.

I might hand dremel 1mm spaced along the back edge n do it in 3 careful passes.

How much heat might be too much at these edges I'm not sure.

After destroying my thermo stat I think I'll tread carefully..

ImageImageImage

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Anyone know what steering wheel I have, age etc? I see momo

Codfather
Married to the DDK

Post by Codfather »

Looks like a Momo 'tuner' from the 90s. For my 205Gti back then, it was a toss up between that and a Monte Carlo, which won, as it felt nicer with a quick rack.
Hth
Dave
1979 911sc
2010 Range Rover Sport
2013 Mini D
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Feels good, but it will be coming to eBay soon.. Genuwine RS factory clubsport evocation wheel.. Let's say er.. £4995, this is a 'tall' wheel. On an exchange basis, does not include, rim or hub or spokes or leather or particles. Its an exchange item, you must send me an exact duplicate in exchange..

Right, I think that's my advert sorted, send me your wheel and £5k and I'll send you my wheel..

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Got the rest of the sunroof cassette out.. What a faff, that thing weighs a freckin ton!! Tidied up the aperture. Feeling good about this now. Front OS inner wing is super solid so that's good news too

ImageImageImageImage

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Feeling pretty meh about it today. Did some more, stripped off the wing mirrors and looms. Considered pulling the electric window looms n motors out too, considering fitting early manual winders.

Anyone know if you can buy n fit handles and cranks into the existing electric window mechanism? I'm assuming the mechanism evoked to electric but kept the same mech as manual in some way.

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Don't worry about the "meh" - it makes the highs feel higher

I can't remember where I read it but I'd heard the weight saving from manual windows is minimal
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Phew. What an afternoon. Got the bulk of the new inner qtr in. I bit the bullet and bought a cheap welder. Its quite satisfying!

After a decent amount of prepping I got the bulk of the donor qtr in and I'm pretty proud of it. The no gas welding is messy and not as easy as gas, I couldn't see the weld half as easy as with gas.

I'll go back and tidy up when I do the other plates, but for now I'm happy she is a solid structure once again.

The gaps are because my donor panel is a 964 speedster panel that had previously donated its unique strengthening plates to another project.

No closeup on my welds!! To embarrassing. However I am very proud to have a go and happy to grind back and redo where I could do better.

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Dear halfrauds. Please fill your Argon co2 bottles up with gas before you sell them. I managed 5 minutes of gas welding before no-gas became my only option..

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Machine Mart have the same issue, the bottle valve leaks, not the one on the welder.
sure know about that issue.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Ground back some of my hideous welds and got on with sealing it back up. Still on the hunt for a qtr. Will let the pros do the sr panel and qtr. Cut the rear screen out. Quite a fussy thing with all those electric wires in there.. Good news, no rust in the rear scuttle. Just zizzed some loose paint and treated a bit in the corners that was starting to go..
Next job, front screen.

I'm hoping the front scuttle is good. Its got a blister or two on the uprights. Hopefully a few local repairs will do it..

ImageImageImage