Bring a 356 to the UK

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Bring a 356 to the UK

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Glad to hear it's arriving, I'm sure you're very excited.
Good luck with the drive home!
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

All good so far. A few of tiny worries. 1) I get to the docks and they say that they have a 356 for a Neil, but a different surname, and it's already been picked up. They take a couple of minutes to recheck their documentation and find my car. How they could get confused since there are only about 10 cars in the place!

2) Next the piece of paper they hand me says non starter and the chap confirms that they couldn't get it started. I head over with Mrs B with my tools, oil etc. Work out how to get the bonnet open, screw in the dead switch on the battery, get the trunk open and check the oil all looks good. Then it takes me about 5mins to figure out that you have to open the bonnet everything you need to put fuel in! A GT style fuel whole through the bonnet might be the first upgrade?

I checked and we have about quarter of a tank. Then the cars starts on the 2nd try. Not bad for a car that has been sitting for 6-8 weeks.

3) It took me while to work out how to use the R gear.

4) It drives nicely along the A2 back into London. The engine feels strong and can easily keep up with the traffic and pass! Happy at speed or idling in traffic. The steering feels light at speed but maybe this is a feature of the car? It's very small and I'm not tall but I'm sitting pretty high in the car. Brakes aren't quite like model disc brakes but good enough.

Currently getting it's MOT now and pictures to follow.

Last edited by neilbardsley on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:My car has just cleared customs! I'm picking up on Monday and taking for MOT preparation. Mrs B will follow me in our Landie just incase. Anything else I've missed?
I thought that you weren't allowed to drive an non-uk registered car on the road - even to it MOT? Is that correct? I thought it had to be trailered until it is registered with the DVLA?

it'll save me some hassle if you can drive it to the MOT station rather than trailering!
I read some where that you are allow to drive it once to be tested and then home
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Hi Neil,

From what you've said about the drive. Sounds like you've bought a good one.
Good luck with the MOT.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Unfortunately, and this wasn't visuable in the pictures when I bought it, it has a Iron Cross on the botton of the front wing need the door. I'm pretty eager to remove this. However, I suspect I will need something similar to replace. Any ideas and there I can get something?

It's a bit like the badge/plate in this photo. What are they called so I can google something?

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Coachbuilder's badge/emblem - available from Roger Bray, etc - see here:

http://www.rogerbrayrestoration.com/embl3.html
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

BLATANT PLUG --------------------- AND at www.prs356.com
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Mike Smith wrote:BLATANT PLUG --------------------- AND at http://www.prs356.com
Supporters (advertisers) are allowed all the blatant pugs they want :wink:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Mike Smith wrote:BLATANT PLUG --------------------- AND at http://www.prs356.com
Thanks I think I might have one of those on the other side but will check today when I pick up the car.
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

Pleased you got it to the MOT station. Hope you were careful with closing the front hood,
( lift to the top position then lower to close.) I am old fashioned and would also rip the iron cross off but leave the petrol filling under the hood and save yourself a lot of money to spend on say, a few really good 356 books. Was there a drivers manual in the glove box? If not you can buy copies. You need one.

I have said it before, Mike at PRS probably has everything you might need but difficult though it is, all the information on spare parts and new parts needs listing in a catalogue or on his website pages. Very difficult to do if you only have one rare spare part and the day he enters this info on the website or have it printed in a catalogue its sold!

I presume that's why its best to telephone PRS first to find out :?:

Hope it passed

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

roy mawbey wrote:Neil,

Pleased you got it to the MOT station. Hope you were careful with closing the front hood,
( lift to the top position then lower to close.) I am old fashioned and would also rip the iron cross off but leave the petrol filling under the hood and save yourself a lot of money to spend on say, a few really good 356 books. Was there a drivers manual in the glove box? If not you can buy copies. You need one.

I have said it before, Mike at PRS probably has everything you might need but difficult though it is, all the information on spare parts and new parts needs listing in a catalogue or on his website pages. Very difficult to do if you only have one rare spare part and the day he enters this info on the website or have it printed in a catalogue its sold!

I presume that's why its best to telephone PRS first to find out :?:

Hope it passed

Roy
Thanks I tried to build a manual from Charlie White in the states but he thought it would cost $45 to post so refunded my money and sent me a electronic copy. Which was a great result for me!
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Just so you know, standard cars only had one coachbuilders badge.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

MOT obtained! Now I wonder if I can registry before CLM next week and drive there? I'm still waiting for the log book and title book from the import but I think everything else is in order. Can I go with docs to the dvla office and register then and there?

The Iron Crosses aren't where the coach builders badge should be but behind the drivers doors. So I'm still not sure how to remove them!
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

To register the car in the UK you will need:

UK insurance
MOT
US title (registratiion document)
Customs form C386 (to prove any relevant import taxes/VAT has been paid)
Letter from Porsche confirming original build details (dates, etc)
Bill of sale
Completed Form V55/5
UK Registration fee (was £55 maybe more now)
2 separate forms of proof of identity

Depending on which office you visit, they may want to inspect the car in person (to confirm VIN)

+ anything I've forgotten !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

I saw some time ago a car with the iron crosses on it and these were on the small round 60mm approx rear torsion bar access covers just behind the back of the door. Someone was selling these as an add on??? If they are on there, just undo the small nut and remove them. You can buy the standard replacements easily.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954