70 S, RHD, Signal Orange, UK->Australia->UK

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 70 S, RHD, Signal Orange, UK->Australia->UK

Post by Darren65 »

Tp81 wrote:Richard, good timing......
....Tom, your car should keep the drains....72-73 change if I remember correctly?

*edit....introduced sometime in 1973 model year production, not sure exactly when......early 73MY cars don't have it whereas later 73MY cars do.
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

That's spot on Darren; sometime in early '73 the front slam changed to the later type with more holes. I had a similar issue working out which style was right for my car. Porsche probably were moving to the newer type and ran out of old style panels on the last F series cars and maybe this was the story with the rear slam panel too. I was able to find an original, unrestored car which had the later style front slam panel that was a few chassis numbers older than mine so it made sense that mine would have had the later style panel too.

Mike (210bhp) helpfully suggested that the transition happened for coupes sometime around chassis number 900 and so chassis numbers greater than 1000 are likely to have had the later style panel. This is just a guide and not definitive by any means. It is easily conceivable that a later car could have the earlier style panel.

Richard - looking good already in epoxy!

Gitesh
Barry

Post by Barry »

Barry wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:Thanks JP, thanks Dave,

Should say: I'm no expert on paint, so if you see anything wrong / questionable - please shout now while we can still fix it.

Cheers, Richard.
Let's start with the front slam drains :oops: .

Will pop down to Steve's in next day or so and beat the little darlings out. Oh well, at least they make an excellent cuppa. Sigh.

Drains B Gone.

Turns out actually the way to get rid of them is to do them on the car, rather than on the bench. Sod's law, the metal is actually quite hard compared to other pressings, so they take some working. One (Steve) holding a great big dolly, and an idiot (guess who) with assorted chiselly things. Even so, just the fact the panel is not being chased around, and is welded into place with a car to hold it made it a not-too-bad job.

If I still had a photo account, I would post evidence ....
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Thanks Barry. Customer service!

Photographic evidence:

Looks good to me.
With that said, I'm just back from being hurled around the M-B demo track at Brooklands by some racing driver in an AMG. Can't really see straight.

Cheers, Richard.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Current state:

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

I popped in at the weekend to look at some samples of seam sealer and stone chip texture.

Next in the queue after mine is a properly exotic creature:

911S Ecosse
DDK Newbie

Post by 911S Ecosse »

Tell me what did they seal the area between the upper rear wing and inner wing where it all meets at the C pillar
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

911S Ecosse wrote:Tell me what did they seal the area between the upper rear wing and inner wing where it all meets at the C pillar
Before the new rear wings went on (when the area was fully accessible) this was primed with decent Wurth primer. I guess some of that will have been damaged / burned off by the later welding.
Subsequently a good blast with the epoxy primer. TBH I don't know whether there's any seam seal up there - quite hard to reach - will ask Steve.
It will later get stone chip, then dinitrol / waxyol-type stuff (including running it down from inside the C pillar).
Finally my two favourite things for ongoing protection: ACF 50 and a dehumidified garage.
911S Ecosse
DDK Newbie

Post by 911S Ecosse »

Yes mine had a similar procedure but there is quite a gap from the rear of the C pillar back towards the rear of the car.
I have a 69, 911 "S" RHD nearing completion but unsure what was originally up in that area if anything!
With an LED lamp you can see round the curve of the "C" pillar and up around the panel that is below the rear screen.
Worth having a look at yours to see if it is the same.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

911S Ecosse wrote:Yes mine had a similar procedure but there is quite a gap from the rear of the C pillar back towards the rear of the car.
I have a 69, 911 "S" RHD nearing completion but unsure what was originally up in that area if anything!
Having seen various pics of fairly original cars with the rear wings cut off, I think the factory did little / no additional rustproofing in that area.

RHD 69 S - rare beast. We need pics!

Cheers, Richard.
911S Ecosse
DDK Newbie

Post by 911S Ecosse »

Still practising with the complications of this site...
Hope the pics are attached.
Just out of paint 2 years ago
Current state with suspension and brakes finished
Attachments
ZZZYWP_20170812_16_49_36_Pro (1) (Custom).jpg
XXX IMG_8086 (Small).JPG
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Looking good. Polo red?
911S Ecosse
DDK Newbie

Post by 911S Ecosse »

Yes original colour
Matching numbers and 60K miles from new.
Off the road since 1978 with No 6 big end blown..too expensive to fix back then so virtually scrap.
Sold new in Scotland and possibly the only "S" sold through Glen Henderson of Ayr that year.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Wow, nice find.
Must be time for a resto thread, surely?
If you have any pics of original details before it came apart, I'd love to see them.
(I have a RHD 69 S too: https://www.safetycolours.com/1969-porsche-911-s/
Turns out they are common!)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

911S Ecosse wrote:Tell me what did they seal the area between the upper rear wing and inner wing where it all meets at the C pillar
....I've seen a type of foam pad covered by the underseal stuffed in this area although it seemed to be a fairly porous material so not the best when moisture crept in, my experience is of slightly later cars so not sure if this applied to 69-70 MY.....I'm about to see the rear quarters cut off a very original 73 coupe, will post a pic.
Obviously it makes sense to totally seal this area with a good sealant in a modern restoration.

The bottom corners of the rear screen posts were also stuffed with a wool type material which again helped to retain moisture once it crept in......no wonder they all rot! :?