Anyone waiting for UK registration on an imported vehicle ?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Anyone waiting for UK registration on an imported vehicl

Post by TimB »

Many thanks to Andy for starting such a helpful thread and the various contributions.

Would be interested if anyone could clarify the position with regard to NOVA registration and if it is required in the following situation?

It is a 1968 911T that was brought into the UK form the USA by the previous owner in 2011 as a project with all duties paid and I have the stamped C&E 386; I subsequently purchased the car in 2018 (car has never been on the road in the UK) and it is now being restored and then will be MOT'd prior to applying for it's age related UK registration number.

Looking at the NOVA registration page it only seems to cater for cars imported from other EU countries?
Tim
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

No, NOVA is required for all vehicles – I had to get one for my 914, which came from the USA. You will still need to apply for it, even though your car was imported in 2011.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TimB »

Thanks Keith, I will get on it, did you manage to do your 914 on line?
Tim
KS

Post by KS »

My 914 was done for me by the shipping company, but I did the Renault R4 on line myself. It's (almost) instant.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TimB »

Tried again but because I am not VAT registered you can only use the HMRC NOVA site to notify of vehicles imported from other EU members; helpfully it doesn't say where to go from there for non EU import!
Tim
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Tim - from the gov.uk website :

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TimB »

Thanks Andy

Think I have got to the bottom of it and explains why I couldn't remember what I did with the T/R (because it turns out I didn't have to do anything!). Provided you have the completed C&E 386 dated from before the 15th April 2013 the DVLA will accept it as notification and proof of duties paid.
Tim
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

I had a import vat issue with my commando.It was imported from USA in 2013.I applied for docs 2019.I had to get a reference number from shipper, to validate import duties had been paid.Without it HMRC wont let DLVA process documentation.This was BEFORE the automatic payment of duties, that shippers now make on behalf of importer.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

More questions chaps for your opinions please,

I have the approved NOVA certificate.

I am ready to send the V55/5 application. Bearing in mind Keith’s inside information, Richard’s emphasis on accurate dates and Jonathan’s first time completion with an incomplete vehicle like mine I’m trying to nail down the details to hopefully (fingers crossed) get a registration document issued without an inspection. The less obvious the anomalies I’m hoping the less obvious the chance of inspection.

I have the Finnish registration document.
I have the Finnish official transfer document of ownership and export signed by the seller
I have an invoice from the seller signed by the seller, the buyer (me) and signed by an independent witness
I have the COA showing chassis, engine numbers and the build date, 1972.

The targa was first sold in Germany by an official Porsche dealer on 01/10/72
The targa was imported into Finland and registered on 28/05/2008
The partially typed, partially hand written, receipt to me is dated 03/05/2014
The receipt describes the car as a Porsche 911 T Targa 1973 model (which it is)
The Finnish registration document describes the car as a 1973 model
The finish transfer document describes the car as a 1973 model
Crucially, the Finnish registration document indicates (in English!, embedded in a paragraph of Finnish language) ‘vehicle taken off the road, plates returned with no date attached. Lower down the document, entirely in Finnish it states that the car was taken off the road on 11/08/2008 (three months after registration) and the plates returned on 02/05/2014 (the day before I bought it).

I take it that in the ‘tax class’ box I fill in ‘historic’?
Bearing in mind the delay Andy and Keith have had what date would you put in ‘date from which tax is to run (date of registration)?
Would you put ‘year of manufacture’ as 1973 matching the Finnish registration document (clearly a mistake) or 1972 matching the COA (the whole MY vs build date rears it’s ugly head again)

Thanks for any pointers to a trouble free registration.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
KS

Post by KS »

Year of manufacture will be according to COA. That’s the one you can prove if push came to shove. Date from which tax is to run is almost irrelevant as it’s free, so do it as 1st of the next month.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

my registration confirmation came through this morning
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I'm currently going through all of this with my F B Mondial. The main issue is that there is no original registration document from Italy, as the bike was sold through Bonhams as part of the disposal of the former Morbidelli museum.

I have filled in the V55/5, and as Keith says, you hardly need to fill in any of the boxes, because, for a historic vehicle, most of it doens't apply.

I was thinking about putting it through an MOT, but was unsure that this might not be of any actual practical help.

I have a dating letter from the Internazionale Register F.B Mondial. In the absence of any factory records, they seem to be best qualified to confirm the date of manufacture. However this is a print out of the file that they sent to me...

I will include photographs of both sides of the machine, the frame number, and the engine number. I need to have a word with Hagerty to get it insured. Now, I bought the bike, but it was auctioned by Bonhams, and bought by my mate, who had the foresight to actually have registered the right number of days before the auction, where I hadn't. I have got him to produce an invoice which shows the value of the bike + shipping, the engine and frame numbers. I think that this should be good enough.

Also Bonhams have NOVA registered the bike, and I have a NOVA number, and the details are correct, but I don't have a NOVA certificate. How would I get one of these? Do I need one? Do I just quote this number with a covering letter?

I guess we will find out if I send it all off as is, but would welcome comments which might save 2 months of messing about!
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
KS

Post by KS »

NOVA is purely a computer transaction, so to speak. DVLA will already have been notified of the fact it's been issued. You don't get a certificate, just an e-mail telling you NOVA has been issued.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Thanks Keith, thats very helpful. I think that I can get everything I am going to need fairly easily now. Probably the only worry is the lack of Italian registration document (it didn't even have a number plate fitted), and that I only have an electronic copy of the dating document from the registry.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
stuarts
DDK above all

Post by stuarts »

New reg docs received this morning for my Alfa GTV 2000.
Pretty good service from DVLA, V55/5 with supporting documents sent off 27th Oct.

Came through correctly set up as a historic vehicle - tax exempt.

https://members.aroc-uk.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24115