Dreaming of a Swap Meet

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

takeflight
DDK above all

Re: Dreaming of a Swap Meet

Post by takeflight »

Bootsy wrote:I’ve been invited to one of these swapping meets on Friday night - it’s in a room at the back of a dodgy pub so I’m sure it will be fine
Is it couples only :wink:
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

As promised I dropped in at http://caffeineandmachine.com/about-us/ yesterday to see how they would feel about a DDK swap meet.
Phil McGovern- coowner with his wife was very enthusiastic and says HI to Bootsy.
Great spot IMO - so suggest whoever is going to do this ( don’t look at me- I will be in Ireland) mails him directly phil@caffeineandmachine.com
I then carried on to Greatworth Classics where Jaffa is having some winter work done.
Angus Watt was also enthusiastic about the idea and willing to host, for those of you that haven’t been , Greatworth Park is an ex RAF radio station halfway between Banbury and Silverstone- Angus has done a couple of “cars and coffee” events and is expanding the set up with a “self service clubhouse” which anyone can book to use as a gathering space or event base.
You can mail angus@greatwortclassics.co.uk
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Will have to drop Phil a line
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Bootsy wrote:Will have to drop Phil a line
Go over for the weekend when he has the rooms open ( next week I think)
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
MikeS911
DDK addict

Post by MikeS911 »

Hi Guys Hope this works out, Always enjoyed rummaging in box's, went to just about every one of the Husborne Crawley ones, the social side and chat with other Porsche nuts is just a important as the parts for me, this is what is missing with flee bay etc.
Like the idea of a DDK meet, but would also think IB guys would be interested.
Will follow this with great interest and hope it comes to be.
MikeS
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I'm down South, I expect you guessed that from the tan, however, if there is anything I can do to assist in getting the swap meet going do let me know. Firstly the Caffeine and Machine residence sounds perfect and although not to clever for our more Northerly associates, middle England would seem to be a good start. Is there sufficient area at C and M for the meet? Are the premises gated, not that I really feel an entrance charge should be set but it would be best to keep out the undesirables (hairdressers in their Boxsters, only joking! only joking!) If matters are positive next thing would be to set a date. Easter can be good but there is always so much on then that maybe the week after could be a possibility. Also the weather comes into play. What is the C and M locale like regarding precipitation? I know that some areas like Silverstone seem to attract bad weather and conversely there are places that never see bad clouds, hills and valleys and such. So it's a start, I'm going to the Christmas meet at Bicester promoted by Porsche Club GB and following that I will trek up to C and M and hopefully have a chat and good look round. More then.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Thanks Clive. Yes we are are willing to host a DDK swapmeet here at Greatworth Park. We have plenty of hard-standing space, ladies & gents toilets, kitchen and a BBQ. We are at the end of a private drive with a security gate in a nice rural location 15 mins from Silverstone. We don't want any money for the venue. The chance to sell off some of our own stuff will be enough for us. Of course we will open the workshops too if anyone wants a look around.

If as a group (dons DDK members hat), we think we would like to make a charge for charity or to run the site that will be easy enough. People tend to take things more seriously if its cost them something.

I can even suggest a date - March 9th 2019 - as we are planing a Porsche & coffee meet that day.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
stretch

Post by stretch »

Great stuff Angus. A good date to kick off the car scene in the UK. I would certainly support it with a table full of Porsche bit's i can't be bothered to flog on flea bay.

Dave
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

That sounds like a plan

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Brilliant date and location for me, look forward to this taking off.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Well that sounds perfect, we can save Caffeine and Machine for another date. And regarding date would you think 9th March a bit early, cold we can always deal with but cold and rain and snow, not too nice, but then again I guess we have to start somewhere. I'm sure nobody will complain about a gate charge especially when it goes to charities. If this first meet goes well and I'm positive it will we can start thinking about a North/Scottish edition.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Angus
Day after RS track day at Oulton so makes a cool weekend!
Not me though- it’s the boss’s birthday on 10th and she won’t want old Porsche bits!!!!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

It’s easy enough to change the date at this point if necessary. We have tried to avoid clashing with goodwood, London classic car show, race retro, RS track day, Bicester scramble and the NEC.

For those travelling south to Oulton and on to Greatworth we can suggest some local accommodation if that helps? Or bring a camp bed and we’ll set up a bunkhouse in the clubhouse unit. Or camping in the woods!

camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

So we are going with Saturday March 9th.
Bacon on from 9am
Trading starts at 10am.
(Set up early if you like.)

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Angus and I will be discussing in the forthcoming weeks some finer detail and will be spreading the word - hopefully you all can too!