1970 911E Sporto Resto

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 1970 911E Sporto Resto- Case seperated

Post by sladey »

Any more progress?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Hello Ash

In all your pictures I dont think I see an airbox. Do you have it?
For your car it's a bit of a special unless you are going to do some modifications along the way. Let me know if you don't have it as I have one I was about to put up for sale on Ddk along with one or two others. They are a bit harder to come by than later ones.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

210bhp wrote:Hello Ash

In all your pictures I dont think I see an airbox. Do you have it?
For your car it's a bit of a special unless you are going to do some modifications along the way. Let me know if you don't have it as I have one I was about to put up for sale on Ddk along with one or two others. They are a bit harder to come by than later ones.

Regards
Mike
Hi Mike,

I can't actually remember as it would have been one of the first things I pulled off. I'm pretty certain I do have one but i'll have a check and let you know.

Cheers
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

Right - I'm here to make sure that you're feeling the love from the crew. McBeard and all. :-)

What did you decide, dip or blast? (personally I'd go for blast, all that acid running around in my seams would have given me the heebies)

That shell looks in really good nick - are there any nasties around any of the seams or usual places like screen corners?

You also asked earlier about the sound deadening - keep the stuff you prised out from on top of the rear seats - you'll need that again. Regards the other sound deadening that you've no doubt scraped off the floor, this is available, although in a diamond pattern rather than the original square pattern (at least it was when I did mine, might have changed.) Darren65 will be able to give you the brand if you need to know.

And keep the updates coming - we do all love a resto....

R
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

murph2309 wrote:Right - I'm here to make sure that you're feeling the love from the crew. McBeard and all. :-)

What did you decide, dip or blast? (personally I'd go for blast, all that acid running around in my seams would have given me the heebies)

That shell looks in really good nick - are there any nasties around any of the seams or usual places like screen corners?

You also asked earlier about the sound deadening - keep the stuff you prised out from on top of the rear seats - you'll need that again. Regards the other sound deadening that you've no doubt scraped off the floor, this is available, although in a diamond pattern rather than the original square pattern (at least it was when I did mine, might have changed.) Darren65 will be able to give you the brand if you need to know.

And keep the updates coming - we do all love a resto....

R
I've opted for Blasting although I haven't had it done yet. Hopefully Barry will be ready for the shell at the end of autumn so the plan is to have it done in Essex on the way down and deliver it bare.
Touch wood there haven't been any nasty surprises yet but I guess I'm not in the clear until its blasted and starts to get picked apart. The panel list is currently very respectable and hopefully a lot of the original metal will remain. Lots of the usual places are very solid, It mostly seems to have gone bad where the underseal has failed over the years of it sitting in a garage.
My next major job is to start going through and refurbing all the removable parts although i've been a bit slow in getting this started due to continual problems to fix on my lotus and work commitments.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

Progress has been a bit slow over the past few months. I'm currently sitting comfortably waiting for Barry to work his magic on Richards Car then i'm up next.
I've got my extortionately expensive boxes of sheet metal ready to go -

I have been putting off stripping the bonnet for fear of bad news hidden beneath the 5mm of filler but it looks surprisingly good under there, theres a few little dents but hopefully its good to use.

Doors stripped down ready for blasting -

The paint on the inner doors is excellent and it would be nice to try and keep it but not sure how practical that is with blending to modern paints.

I also found this picture in my emails from when it first saw the light of day -

I'm having to sell my Lotus to help pay for the resto which tbh i'm not overly sad about, it meant I had an excuse to buy a 986 which I really am loving. Took it down to the Amalfi coast for a couple of weeks and it fitted mine and the girlfriends stuff in plus a load of wine and sausages with no problems at all. On the last day we did Milan to London which was a bit much but the boxster didn't miss a beat.

1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 1970 911E Sporto Resto

Post by 8bit-ash »

Having had a few Jitters with regards to life decisions i'm now cracking on with the car. After much Deliberation I went with Maldons in Essex to Blast the car. They were very good and took it very gently. A Low Loader Luton Works very well for moving a shell around.

It now resides at Barrys for him to work his magic...

Nothing too dramatic came from it being loaded on the jig. Heres what Barry had to say -
"As we hoped, it's very straight other than one area. The offside end of the torque tube seems to be about 2mm low, or it may be that the torque tube itself has a slight bend vertically near the centre, allowing the outside to be lifted slightly.
At the rear, the nearside is about 3mm low, as I'd expect TBH, but the offside appears perfect. This would be odd. My conclusion is that actually both sides are probably equally low, but the offside is being artificially lifted by virtue of the tube lifting the whole of the rear offside. No matter, we'll give it some tonnage and I don't foresee any major issues around here."

The shell is much as expected. Almost perfect in many of the usual places to suffer but BAD in the places where it has gone. The worst areas are the inner wings but Barry is saving what he can and fabricating whats needed rather than fitting new inner wings. It would be a shame to mess up all the adjoining panels which are so good.

Looking forward to the first set of Photos from Barry.

While the Shell is out of the way i've just upgraded my compressor and am about to make a bit of a spray booth. I plan on doing all the paint except the outer panels. I figured why get a professional to lower their usual standards to achieve a factory style finish when my lack of ability might just work in my favour. I've painted a few things before so not a complete numpty which is a pretty good start.
Last edited by 8bit-ash on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Still here if you jitter some more!
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi Ash,
That looks like an excellent starting point. Well bought!
I think it's a good call to keep the front inner wings and repair, unless they are complete toast.
Feels a bit weird to see a different car on that jig. My car thought it lived there.
Cheers, Richard.
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Yay! Nice one Ash, good to see it one the move again. Very jealous of that shell, onwards :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

Barry's been a busy man and i've been super slack at putting some pictures up so lets start from the beginning, the nearside sill area. No words needed...

1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

The O/S hadn't survived so well...

1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

a few dents in the pan to pull out -

1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

Better catch up seeing as i've got the car back from barry already...

Front inner wings looking abit thin!

Time to introduce some new metal -

1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

as if by magic -

1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S