914 engine core, strip and rebuild

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

Re: 914 engine core, strip and rebuild

Post by hot66 »

I'd have thought with your lightweight car the box would be fine ... Unless your planning drag strip launchs on slicks
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Splitty64
DDK above all

Post by Splitty64 »

Bearing in mind mine is in a split screen camper van with a Beetle box, the big engine sure took its toll, so a beefed up box has resolved that issue. The Beetle box did last a surprisingly long time though and never actually broke.

On case clearancing, the bottom corers of my H beams were also belt sanded and re balanced to help with the space too.

Lots of info on Jake Rabys forums if you dig around

Martyn
73 914 (with the YellowOne)
67 E-Type Coupe
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

hot66 wrote:I'd have thought with your lightweight car the box would be fine ... Unless your planning drag strip launchs on slicks
James not bothered about drag strip launches. Just concerned about a gearbox designed for a 60bhp?? Beetle. Then putting slot more through it. Think l need to stop reading so much...
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Splitty64 wrote:Bearing in mind mine is in a split screen camper van with a Beetle box, the big engine sure took its toll, so a beefed up box has resolved that issue. The Beetle box did last a surprisingly long time though and never actually broke.

On case clearancing, the bottom corers of my H beams were also belt sanded and re balanced to help with the space too.

Martyn
That's interesting your box lasted in a camper Martyn. I guess a lot of factors come into it though. What did you do to beef it up??

I've not got any problems with my gearbox at the present. Although l keep reading this and that and keeps me thinking should l be doing something to the box or just run it and fix it when and if it breaks.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

hot66

Post by hot66 »

how much does the speedster weigh .. it'll be a lot less than a camper. Been a long time since I've looked at VW boxes, but from memory the main week point is the pinion and the case around the pinion , problem being fast 1st gear starts and the shock loading going through it.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Think mine comes in at around 800kg,
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Robneal
Married to the DDK

Post by Robneal »

Is that a sync link throttle linkage I see in one of your earlier posts? If so are you running this with carbs or throttle bodies? I want to run the sync link with Jenvey TB's but the guy that sells them doesn't know of anyone using them with these TB's .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

It is a Sync Link. I'll be running carbs.

Problem you'll have is the throttle spindle would be need to be the same as a Weber or Dellorto. Or ask him if he can send them blank?? Also the mounting arm which bolts to the carbs supporting the cables may need to be modified as your bolt pattern maybe different.

Apart from that I'm sure you could get it to work.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Robneal
Married to the DDK

Post by Robneal »

Thanks....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Splitty64
DDK above all

Post by Splitty64 »

mdmax72 wrote:
Splitty64 wrote:Bearing in mind mine is in a split screen camper van with a Beetle box, the big engine sure took its toll, so a beefed up box has resolved that issue. The Beetle box did last a surprisingly long time though and never actually broke.

Martyn
That's interesting your box lasted in a camper Martyn. I guess a lot of factors come into it though. What did you do to beef it up??

I've not got any problems with my gearbox at the present. Although l keep reading this and that and keeps me thinking should l be doing something to the box or just run it and fix it when and if it breaks.
Welded gears, steel shifters etc plus HD side plate. Didn't go mad but a solid build but not a drag box for hard launches as thats not my game.
67 E-Type Coupe
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Splitty64 wrote:
mdmax72 wrote:

Martyn

Welded gears, steel shifters etc plus HD side plate. Didn't go mad but a solid build but not a drag box for hard launches as thats not my game.

I'm not bothered about of the mark drag racing either.

Just out of interest. Are you using standard beetle cv joints and driveshaft??
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Splitty64
DDK above all

Post by Splitty64 »

Inners are bug, outers bus and I seem to remember they are on bus shafts rather than bug, same spline just slightly different length if I recall
67 E-Type Coupe
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Well the new engine is being put together by Paul Foreman so l decided to pull the old engine today. What a pain the arse to get it out as a whole but l managed it with a bit of swearing.

Rich

DDK Member 0547

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

A few pics of the build.

Rich

DDK Member 0547

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Nice compact unit, I've not seen inside one before. Are the straight cut cam gears loud when driving?