912 Targa : A slow restore / refresh

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 912 Targa : A slow restore / refresh

Post by neilbardsley »

I decided on http://www.hockleyenterprises.co.uk they bother to reply to my email via phone. Plus the clincher was that they are next to Karman Konnect and do work for them. The price was compeitive too. In the end I'm only having the latches zinced & the horn grill chrome zinced. Mick T talked me of the rest. In fact he suggested just the latches and wing mirror. However, after working on it last night with some Autosol I got quite a good shine on it. The chrome is poor in places but only under close inspection.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Sorry for the lack of photos & updates but I actually haven't been down to see it myself since I handed it over to Newdigate but MT has been kind enough to keep an eye on it. I called the replated to see how they were getting on but they had forgot to mention that it takes 12 weeks! Or perhaps I forgot to ask. Anyway inspired by my trip I just gone and order a soft top conversion kits from Canada!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... -them.html
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Not my colour but this is the end goal

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Not a lot of progress but there is a picture of someone else that have restored a targa using the soft window kit I have purschased. I only know this because when I asked for a reference from Yves, the kit seller, he gave me Steve's email as he had bought quite a few kits.

The end result looks pretty good

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1511637

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Some progress but no photos! Unfortunately it's really difficult for me to get to the paint shop during the week!

1) The car is in primer about to be painted.

2) The soft window and kit has been shipped from Canada

3) Gary/Mick are going to restored the doorcars for me. I dropped around to his place to pick them up from him (and give him a few bits) so that I could replace the plastic on the back then he suggested that he/Gary would be willing to restore so I took he up on the offer.

4) Unfortunately when I handed the wing mirror, that I cleaned to him, he noticed that it had become damaged! Unfortunately now I'm looking for a small Durant Mirror. I've found these

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 1006179946

Are the ones that where put on 356b the same as the ones on 912 swb 1967?
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

neilbardsley wrote: 4) Unfortunately when I handed the wing mirror, that I cleaned to him, he noticed that it had become damaged! Unfortunately now I'm looking for a small Durant Mirror. I've found these

Hi Neil,

What is the problem with the Mirror? If it is just the glass, you can get the glass replaced at a glass cutters. You hear mixed reviews regarding the Repro mirrors, Limited adjustability and they vibrate alot more. It will be far better to keep the original if possible.

Either way, you can't see anything behind when it is mounted :)

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

It's not an original mirror, Chris. Looks to me like it came off some early US car - definitely not German I'm sure! The mount is made from mazak, and is in poor condition - hence the failure.

And you are right that they are pretty useless as a rear view device even when genuine!

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

jury wrote:
neilbardsley wrote: 4) Unfortunately when I handed the wing mirror, that I cleaned to him, he noticed that it had become damaged! Unfortunately now I'm looking for a small Durant Mirror. I've found these

Hi Neil,

What is the problem with the Mirror? If it is just the glass, you can get the glass replaced at a glass cutters. You hear mixed reviews regarding the Repro mirrors, Limited adjustability and they vibrate alot more. It will be far better to keep the original if possible.

Chris
Unfortunately it's not original but MT, guesses, something of an america car so I think it makes sense to find a correct one.

Either way, you can't see anything behind when it is mounted :)

Yep I could to accept that the way it will be with these cars!!
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Chris/Mick - I've not owned a swb 911/912 but have always found that original versions of the larger round Durant mirror fitted from '68-on provide pretty good rearward visibility (I'm only talking about mirrors that are fitted to the driver's side).
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

MT wrote:It's not an original mirror, Chris.

Mick

Oops sorry, just looked back at Neils car on the first page...now realise that it is not an early Durant.

@ Neil.....I would suggest you try and find an original 911/912 '67 (smaller) Durant first, if not then go down the repro route. Andy is correct, when using the factory Driver's side drill holes, the '68 mirror is far better to see behind.

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Neil, I have a small Durrant mirror in my garage (without glass) which you're welcome to have for a donation to 10for10 if it's any use. Decent condition from memory, just needs a glass
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Chris/Mick - I've not owned a swb 911/912 but have always found that original versions of the larger round Durant mirror fitted from '68-on provide pretty good rearward visibility (I'm only talking about mirrors that are fitted to the driver's side).
I have heard (probably from you!) that the large/later versions provide at least some rear view capability...... which is good because that's what's going on the Tangerine Dream!

To Neil,

Bootsy's offer is a good one - you can get a new glass cut to just fit in the aperture and then just glue it in place. That's what I did for the Doctors car as the original was smashed when I got it.

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

As I said Neil, you're welcome to it if you want. It came off my 66 912 - not sure if it's an original or repro but happy to send for you to have a look at.

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Done pls let me know what donation is suitable and how to get it from you? I've found a company in London which will put the glass in for about £20.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

neilbardsley wrote:Done pls let me know what donation is suitable and how to get it from you? I've found a company in London which will put the glass in for about £20.
Pm me your address and I'll send it this week Neil, check is ok for you and then you can drop something to the cause via Just Giving.