914/6 GT restoration and conversion thread

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks for the details. Will search them out.

Needs doing in the next month.
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Andrew

I particularly intrigued that you were able to run the PMOs in the Marathon. Are PMOs accepted as Weber equivalents/replacements? What sort of Vehicle Identity Document were you able to get for the car?
I have seen MSA Bulletins where PMOs are now permitted on the 3 litre engines as an alternative to Fuel injection, does this apply to the earlier Post Historic category cars?
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

MikeB wrote:Andrew

I particularly intrigued that you were able to run the PMOs in the Marathon. Are PMOs accepted as Weber equivalents/replacements? What sort of Vehicle Identity Document were you able to get for the car?
I have seen MSA Bulletins where PMOs are now permitted on the 3 litre engines as an alternative to Fuel injection, does this apply to the earlier Post Historic category cars?
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

PMOs have been accepted as Weber replacements in all the rallies I've done. Always declared it and never been questioned. Not sure it would be OK for stage events and fairly sure not OK for historic circuit racing. Moggy might be one to ask about what they do in practise on UK historic stage rallies.

I could not get historic papers for my car because of the homologation definitions. The 914 was only homologated with a 2 litre engine and mine is a 2.4. All this means in practise is that I can enter the events but could not enter as an FIA Regularity Road Rally championship points contender. As far as I could make out the PMOs were not a problem for the FIA papers but I may be wrong !
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Oily Bits

Post by amallagh »

I fitted a George Vellios aluminium oil tank with spin on oil filter and filler neck from Patrick Motorsports. Also found a little 0.5 litre aluminium oil breather tank with mini-filter that fit nicely out of the way at the back of the engine bay. Note black silicon breather hoses with fabric wrapping to make them look like period old hoses.
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Front oil cooler and body mods

Post by amallagh »

This is something I was prety proud of because I tried to improve on the original design. First of all I decided to replace the whole front compartment floor and put in a back facing drop louvred panel rather then just cut a hole in the floor like the original GT's. This draws the air out nicely but without the hole filling up with muck.
Next I decided to make a proper metal cooler shroud to duct the air from the front aperture through the floor louvres. I new I'd be putting a lot of gear in the front on long distance rallies rallies so this is as strong as the normal floor and looks much more professional than the fibreglass shrouds available. The other things I definitely wanted was to be able to get my space-saver spare wheel and Odyssey high output battery behind the shroud and many of the fibreglass shrouds are too long to allow this. The whole set up needed a custom solution so that is what we did in steel with separate side and top pieces that screw together and to the floor.
Everything was fitted up with -12JIC Aeroquip hoses from the oil tank sandwich plate to the front cooler. Sketch layout below with some pictures of the routing.
I had a custom made aluminium cooler made to match the shroud which is sloped backwards slightly to maximise area. Another key thing I wanted to do was keep the flat strengthening web inside the front compartment across the front panel. Without it there really isn't much bracing the front panel area. This meant I had slightly less room to work in below the front panel to mount the cooler and the shroud but the end result is much stronger and very neat.
Last edited by amallagh on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Front tow hook

Post by amallagh »

When we fabricated the front compartment floor we left a central section without the louvres so it would still be strong enough to accept a tow loop welded to the floor. However this area of the car just doesn't look strong enough and with the deep front valance the floor level is behind it so if you did end up towing then it would damage the front valance at the very least. To get round this problem we fabricated a tow loop integrated into the front A arm guard. Instead of just being attached by the single bolt through the floor in front of the A-arm mount we welded thick metal ears on the side to pick up on the 2 front A-arm mounting bolts. Very strong and allows the tow loop to protrude forward of the front valance without being the lowest part of the car. Having been towed for 2 hours solid on the Casablanca Challenge rally after one of my CVs exploded I can say it definitely works !
'73 911 2.7RS
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)