Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - Real time data view with iPad

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

I think the Grandad 24V is even rarer than the V6 Auto Mundeno...

I'll keep an eye on EBay :)
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Got mine off a guy on eBay too - he's an MS user and may be the same one as Tim used. Stuff came quick and cheap - borrow mine for now if you want Gary.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi all,

Cheers for the offer Ian :) , but I've just ordered some from a UK salvage dealer, complete kit with connectors delivered for £75. Not too bad.

The throttle bodies have just arrived. They also have a PWM idle valve built in. I'll take one off and add a T piece so I can use one valve to control both banks.

You could just bolt them on and drive off... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cylinder spacing is wrong of course, by about 8mm, but then so are the Zeniths. Two options here, separate the bodies to simplify the new manifolds and then make up a new fuel rail, or make a more complex manifold. Separating them out will even the throat lengths and give a straight path to the valve, so the engine man in me is saying this is the way. A little more thought is needed on this one, fuel rail could be tricky, and was one of the reasons to go for a Triumph setup.

About time some British engineering went into this car :lol:

Last edited by Gary71 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Nice TB's. Looks like a good setup.
Fuel rail is not necessarily a problem. A fuel rail extrusion can be bought, cut to length, machined to accept the top of the injector, spaced to match. Tapped at the ends for bungs and fuel inlet. Job's-a-good-un as they say round here ! Messier can be the linkage between the individual TB's. With 8mm (Added?), induividual butterfly return springs, the loading on the extended joiner can be prone to failure, may need careful thought.
Alternative - Get some cylinderhead flanges made, to accept a bit of tube the same dia as the TB. Make them as long as you like (Short for High revs long for low rev torque (?) is this right ?? or the otherway round ?? )
and then a single flange with three openings to TB's. Angle the outside tubes to suit. TIG on the joins or some of the high tech glues are very good thes days.
Should have it running by next weekend !
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Having stared at them for a bit I'm going down the angled manifold route. I don't want to build any reliabilty issues in, so leaving as much as per the bike looks the way forward.

It looks like Triumph put a little air filter on top of the Fidle valve rather than pick up off the plenum, so I'll have to visit another breakers. Also to get the connectors for the Fidle, TPS and injectors. :)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

After a great deal of measurement last night it appears that I can accomodate the difference in centres (which turned out to be 6mm) in an adaptor plate (12.5mm ali) between existing Zenith manifolds and the Triumph bodies 8)

The outer pipes of the Zenith manifold are angled in, and the adaptor plate can continue that port up to the throttle bodies, neatly taking out the 6mm offset in the process. With a bit of carefull porting to manage the transitions and blend the 43 x 35 oval Triumph outlet to the 41mm round Zenith manifold inlet we have a fix!

Currently trying to source some plate, shouldn't be too hard as 1/2inch is a stock size. I'll try to get it cut to the major dimensions (250 x 90) to minimise the hours spent with a drill and file.

Also a friend is machining up some simple spacers to mount a 4-1/2" 36-1 (36 teeth, but one missing to act as a trigger point) onto the crank pulley. I buying a new pulley from
http://www.trigger-wheels.com

ECU will be ordered today, I'll have it running by the weekend :lol: :lol:

Oh how we laughed at his gross underestimation of the remaining tasks.... :drunken:
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Gary,
Where do you plan to mount the ECU ? Under the passenger seat ?
I'm just putting a few things into a Jiffy Bag for you and I have some spare tube I intended to use with the MAP sensor. Just curious how much to try to fit in the bag !

Cheers
Tm
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

This looks like a great project Gary, did you already have thoughts about MS ? as you seem to be going great guns already.

I saw that the car needed trailering back from LeMans, mind me asking what went wrong :( ? The picture of the air cleaner housing and carb.... crikey :shock:

It must be a relief to have it back home now though.
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Facinating stuff.. top thread.

8)
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Tim, Darren,

Under the passenger seat is looking favourite at the moment. I want to keep the wiring to the sensors as short as possible to minimise any noise issues. I'm getting shielded cable for the VR sensor, so hopefully not to many issues. I may also get a set of resistor plugs to minimise interference.

No previous thoughts about MS, it's just when I commit to a project it tends to get started pretty prompt! :lol:

The pictures you've seen of the carb are the reason for the trailer, the cause? Well that is not quite so obvious, but current suspect is the needle valve on one of the floats having stuck so massively flooding the carb. The eventual ignition in the inlet manifolds then destroyed each venturi in turn... :cry:

Everything is now ordered. Including two slabs of ali plate to make my manifold adapator. 8)

edit: Hi Dyno, glad you are watching 8)
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Gary71 wrote:The pictures you've seen of the carb are the reason for the trailer, the cause? Well that is not quite so obvious, but current suspect is the needle valve on one of the floats having stuck so massively flooding the carb. The eventual ignition in the inlet manifolds then destroyed each venturi in turn... :cry:
OUCH :shock:

Good luck with the MS, proper MacGyver stuff this, love it :lol:
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Nige

Post by Nige »

Gilbert '71 T wrote:
Gary71 wrote: MacGyver stuff this, love it :lol:
Gary71 and impmad2000 at MS meeting yesterday
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Nige wrote:
Gilbert '71 T wrote:
Gary71 wrote: MacGyver stuff this, love it :lol:
Gary71 and impmad2000 at MS meeting yesterday
:lol: :lol:
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Nige

Post by Nige »

I've only met Tim(impmad2000) before and the likeness is uncanny to the fella at the back. It was a while ago though :wink:

Sorry we're terrible at hyjacking peoples threads on here :oops:
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Yup, that's defo Tim at the back. Not sure about my haircut though, it's thinned out a lot since this picture was taken :lol: :lol: