my non-Porsche picture of the day

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Hannibales
DDK Fanatic

Re: my non-Porsche picture of the day

Post by Hannibales »

23e Heure wrote:Good old DSJ.
I've read and re-read all of his Letters From Europe and Continental Notes columns literally hundreds of times.
There is no better way to be transported back to the heyday of open roads and European touring.

I recall that he was even the first journo to mention the DDK in print :wink:

I presume that the second to last sentence refers to the Viadotto Polcevera on the E80 that tragically collapsed last year? :(

I'm a late discoverer of DSJ and have been gradually making my way through his writings and books, is there a convenient source for all his 'Letters From Europe' and 'Continental Notes' columns? The Motorsport website has a search function which is awkward and clunky to say the least...
Oli

1966 912 now with '69 911E 2.0 MFI
1989 944 S2
2009 Boxster S Sport Edition
1998 Land Rover Defender Wolf
1955 Daimler Ferret Mk1
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

my non-Porsche picture of the day

Post by 23e Heure »

For the most authentic - and comprehensive - experience, really you want a set of original Motor Sport magazines.

I bought 3 full and complete sets of mid 50s to late 80s editions off eBay, about 20 years ago.
1 set for home, 1 set for my folks place, 1 set as spares!

I think such things still come up on there these days, although maybe not at 50 quid a set like I remember paying.

Failing that, Motor Sport did at one point offer the ability to purchase entire years/decades of back issues in pdf form.
You lack the touch and smell (!) of the 50yr old mags that way, but it’s more convenient and searchable too.
You could look see if they still offer these...
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I've got most of the last 40 years' worth of Motor Sports stored in the loft, much to other half's annoyance ………
I think they might have to be relocated to the garage/man-cave whenever it is completed :roll:
Better not install a comfy chair and coffee machine, or there would be no work done at all!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
914-6
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914-6 »

KS wrote:Image
Hi Keith, is that a Rough Rabbit or a Coarse Hare!!!
formula vee-
'60 356b rhd CONVERTED TO "A"
'67 912 rhd SOLD
'69 914 Crayford RHD
'71 914 Crayford RHD
'69 911s lhd
'71 914/6 race car
Marcos SOLD
66 CHEVY pick-up
57 CHEVY Pickup
Porsche Tractor
2 X PORSCHE PINBALL M/C
914-6
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914-6 »

jwhillracer wrote:I've got most of the last 40 years' worth of Motor Sports stored in the loft, much to other half's annoyance ………
I think they might have to be relocated to the garage/man-cave whenever it is completed :roll:
Better not install a comfy chair and coffee machine, or there would be no work done at all!

JW
What you really need is apin ball machine in there together with a fridge and some optics !!

See you at the hillbillys bash.

Cheers

Ian
formula vee-
'60 356b rhd CONVERTED TO "A"
'67 912 rhd SOLD
'69 914 Crayford RHD
'71 914 Crayford RHD
'69 911s lhd
'71 914/6 race car
Marcos SOLD
66 CHEVY pick-up
57 CHEVY Pickup
Porsche Tractor
2 X PORSCHE PINBALL M/C
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Hannibales wrote:

I'm a late discoverer of DSJ and have been gradually making my way through his writings and books, is there a convenient source for all his 'Letters From Europe' and 'Continental Notes' columns? The Motorsport website has a search function which is awkward and clunky to say the least...
Why not try closer to home with DDK's very own Classic 911 Roadtests. Pre 1974 Longhood ?
Page one and scroll down to the yellow 911S review

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18650
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
hot66

Post by hot66 »

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
HaraldD
DDK Fanatic

Post by HaraldD »

Some Mag wheels... ;-)
1.jpg
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Hannibales wrote:
I've read and re-read all of his Letters From Europe and Continental Notes columns literally hundreds of times.
There is no better way to be transported back to the heyday of open roads and European touring.

I recall that he was even the first journo to mention the DDK in print :wink:

I presume that the second to last sentence refers to the Viadotto Polcevera on the E80 that tragically collapsed last year? :(

I met DSJ a few times at Mallory’s Vintage Race of the Year in the seventies. He was a small bearded man with a camera and quite quiet. From memory and much as TE Lawrence did, he lived in a small hut in the New Forest with no electricity or running water. One day someone found that he’d died. I think he was over eighty.
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Doug Nye went and filmed Jenk’s eccentric abode after he passed, and before the bulldozers razed it.

It’s on one of Nye’s Motorfilms DVDs from 1996:

https://www.motorfilms.com/product-page ... lume-7-dwp
Last edited by 23e Heure on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
KS

Post by KS »

Ashley James wrote: I met DSJ a few times at Mallory’s Vintage Race of the Year in the seventies. He was a small bearded man with a camera and quite quiet. From memory and much as TE Lawrence did, he lived in a small hut in the New Forest with no electricity or running water. One day someone found that he’d died. I think he was over eighty.
Er, not exactly... Denis lived in Crondall, the Hampshire village just outside Farnham where I lived until I moved to Cornwall. He lived in a very dishevelled house on the edge of the village, but definitely not a hut in the New Forest. House was largely lit by a generator driven off a Fiat engine, which meant you had to turn off one light before you could turn on another. Disassembled engine in the bath, full-sized drawing of, I think, a Norton on the wall... Garden was home to various reject cars.

When I was walking to school, he used to ride past me every day on his Norton, I'd wave, he'd nod back to me. He was part owner of Phaegre Enginering at Hartley Wintney, the workshops alongside the famous Phoenix pub where the VSCC first met. I'd go there with my cars to have them set up on the rolling road and DSJ would always stop by for a chat. My late mum used to remember him from his days at the RAE Farnborough, where he worked in the very early 1950s - she worked in the library and described him as a 'smelly little man' but he was quite the ladies' man. He'd drive to work each day in his Frazer-Nash, one day arriving with a deer slung over the bonnet which he'd hit on the way to work.

The world needs more DSJs, but I think those times have passed. I feel honoured to have known him.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

His articles were a great read and seemed another world to be scooting all over the place to unknown locations to me.

LJK Setrite was equally impressive in other ways, another out of this world character.

All long gone, and I don't know of such people anymore.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

KS wrote: 'smelly little man' but he was quite the ladies' man.
He obviously made quite an impression on you as you've taken his lead throughout life
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Bootsy wrote:
KS wrote:
Ashley James wrote: 'smelly little man' but he was quite the ladies' man.
He obviously made quite an impression on you as you've taken his lead throughout life
I did not write that!