Rebuild update

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Re: Rebuild update

Post by shandyhaggis »

Kev

do you know if the spacer tube sits between the piston guides or if it goes right the way through the holes of the piston guides ?

I can post a pic if unclear

thanks

Andrew
1976 914 2.0 (Orange now without Brown flecks)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
2020 Globe Car 640 Summit
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Hi folks

its been a while.... again. I'm afraid my project got derailed with a series of events over August and then through the end of the year. Sadly my son had an accident at the beginning of November, car crash. He was in intensive care for nearly 4 weeks but passed away at the beginning of December. He had just turned 21.

Just seems one thing after another. We are devastated. I cant look at my car without thinking of him, we were working on it together (well when he was around and when he wasn't playing x-box or playstation).

I was in the garage yesterday just trying to think of what to do next. Ive decided to carry on and try and finish the car off this year. Should be possible if I just do something every day. Well thats the plan at the moment but I might just as easily decide to let it go as theres a lot of memories in the car, even if I finish it Im not sure Im going to keep it.

Stuff to do - Ive got the engine to mate with the gearbox, add the exhaust and install. I still need to source and fit carbs. The brakes need bleeding and adjusting. The windscreen needs to go in followed by the chrome. Then carpets and seats. I need to refurb the sill covers and the front and rear valance. Theres a few odds and ends to tidy, add door cards, add radio etc. I thought if I write it down it might no seem so hard:-)

Ill post more regularly it might give me the motivation to do a bit more often. Tonight Ill add oil to the gearbox and shuffle it behind the engine.

In terms of exhaust would you recommend to install on the engine whilst its out of the car or install once I put the engine back into the car?

Thanks, apls for the nature of the post, Ive been in a state of shock for 2 months and I don't mean to bring my personal stuff to the forum I just need the usual friendly combination of advice and banter to see me through so I can finish the car:-) as always ...

Cheers

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
hot66

Rebuild update

Post by hot66 »

Devastating news , so sorry to hear. I’ve lost a family member in similar circumstances so appreciate how hard it can be .

But, good to hear you’re carrying on with the car and look forward to seeing it on the road at a Ddk event this year
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Andrew, as James says, that is dreadful news about your son’s death. I’m sure that everyone here on DDK will be very shocked, and we all offer our heartfelt condolences and sympathy. Many of us are parents too, and can only imagine the devastation such a tragic event brings to you and your family. Have strength.

As to your questions, you say the car has many memories for you, as your son was clearly also involved in the project. My advice would be to gently persevere with the work on it, if you can, but make no quick decisions as to the future. Over the days and months to come, no doubt many emotions will ebb and flow, and you should give everything as much time as it takes. Our thoughts are with you.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

My condolences Andrew. Just awful. My thoughts are with you
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Thanks folks, it was and still is awful. He was in a coma for 26 days, a bit like the actress from home and away who had an accident recently.

lll try and crack on with the car to keep busy:-) always been my preferred way of dealing with things...

Thanks

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

So sorry to hear this Andrew, terrible news. I do hope you finish the car and that in the future it becomes something that brings comfort to you having shared it with your son.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

I'm so, so sorry to here your terrible news, it's every parents nightmare and our thoughts are with you and your family.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
sladey

Post by sladey »

I'm so sorry to hear about this - it is truly awful. I don't have experience of this level of grief, but as a general rule putting one foot in front of the other gets you through some pretty dark times. I would hope that work on the car might provide such a focus for you.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
KAS.750
DDK addict

Post by KAS.750 »

Very sorry to hear this. :(
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Very sad news Andrew. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Thanks again I thought Id done my share of hard life bits. Still dont know what happened in the accident. The police will tell us after they have concluded their investigation. Ive only rumours at the moment that someone pulled out on him and turned into his path. He hit a range rover head on, he was driving a 1991 toyota starlet GT which is an engine wrapped in tin foil. I tried so hard not to let him have the damn car but he was a pain in the arse till I bought it. On the plus side I spent a ton of money making sure it was mechanically perfect and the police reported that the car was not at fault. In reflection it doesn't really matter, it wont bring him back.

Last night I added 2.5 litres of gear box oil. I would have mated the gear box to the engine but as always, even though you box and label everything I cant for the life of me find the bolts so Ill have to get some more and pick another item to add to the car tonight.

It was quite cathartic I have to say. Tonight, unless I can find my gear box bolts Ill add a bit of chrome trim to the roll over bar/sail area. I know Ive got the bits.

They say you cant wrap your kids in cotton wool. mmm I think you probably can, I wish Id chained him to his bed. Now thats topical:-)

Cheers

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I’m glad you’re finding a little solace working in the car - just can’t comprehend what you’re going through.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Terrible news, so sorry for you and your family.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Terrible, terrible news. I have no words to try and understand how you must be feeling.

If you need a second pair of hands on the car do let me know.