'72 2.2E on Collecting Cars

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: '72 2.2E on Collecting Cars

Post by inaglasshouse »

Sam wrote:People who spend £50k unseen are probably just 10 times richer than me so see the same level of relative risk.
Ah yes, I think that might be the gap in my understanding!
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Does it all matter?
If the car is presented as a 100% perfect correct car then accuracy is key, and I guess if the price is very high because it IS perfect, then accuracy should be correct.

However, over time things get changed, bits break in 1986 (say) and the wrong part is used because it is cheap or nobody really cared, the car was back on the road.

This car is flawed, and I am sure everyone who has listed the flaws are correct, modern seats give it away as well as the smaller stuff.

It is at £40K and looks a nice car to me at a price where you can forgive things, even correct them if you so wish, all part of classic car life.

If the asking price was 240K then you could expect a lot more. If you pay that for this car, it is your own choice which you presumably would be happy with. If anyone is not then that is just an opinion, no more, no less.

What is this obsession with originality?
As soon as the old paint comes off for repairs the car is not original, new tyres? gosh, that's not original! Slash the price now!

Yes, I am a grumpy old fart with the crappiest 911 on DDK, modified beyond many cars here too, so it must be worth nothing, because almost nothing left is original! :lol:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Actually I'm with you on this, Graham, and have happily owned cars of each type - proper original, high-ish end resto, and bitsa that suits me. Price reflects, you pay your money and take your choice. Including improving the minor stuff as and when you feel like it or funds permit.

But... if it's rusty and doesn't look it, that probably does matter, if the purchaser has no idea what they are getting into... you've seen the resto threads where cars that look perfectly respectable save a few bubbles turn out to need 400 hours of welding and 10K of ambitiously-priced panels when the filler comes off.

Caveat emptor, which is not so easy to do when looking at pixels.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

No one is saying it’s a bad car but it might be important to Joel to know what’s an accurate representation of the marque, that’s all. Some may be satisfied with much less accuracy but, as the UK’s premier site for the early 911 community I think it’s fair to point out, without malice and with the experience many of us have gone through to restore and learn about the history and provenance of ‘long hoods’ , what is accurate and what is not. This is different to ‘an original 911’ which to my mind is a car as close as possible to the actual parts it left the factory with (including tyres). This car is neither original nor completely accurate. With that difference understood it’s up to Joel where to splash his cash. After all, he turned here for help, asking for accuracy comments in his opening post.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

inaglasshouse wrote:Restoration project in disguise? I could be wrong, but how about this pic:
https://collectingcars.imgix.net/002390/IMG-6200.jpg
?

But it could be very nice, a lot of fun for someone, drive beautifully, and be a bargain. I don't know the car and I'm not out to offend.

I do know that I'd be giving it a good poke with a screwdriver in various places, if I were in the market.
Meaning online auction is not a purchase channel I would fancy for this car. Or any car other than a clear basket case, in fact. I just don't get these auction sites with 100 arty pics and no real information. Perhaps I'm missing something? Don't you need to poke a car, smell a car, open and close the doors, lie underneath it in a pool of oil, maybe even drive it before spending 50K+ on it?
That photo gives me the shivers....
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

I think you are right Richard, certainly for older cars. I can see how it works for something new(ish) but I would always want to see the car first.

I went to have a look at a 60s Italian Car for sale by a well known dealer on behalf of a customer. Looked great in the pics, glowing write up etc. Even my son turned his nose up at it when we viewed it. Nice from afar ...... sold well on the platform.
The force is strong in this one ......
kitesurfer2
DDK forever

Post by kitesurfer2 »

Living in W. Cornwall and having owned over 30 911's over the years, I would not bother to drive any distance without close up photos of the front slam panel and A-post paint plate.

In 99% of cases you can tell what the car is likely to be like from those 2 photos.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Some interesting thoughts, personally I think it looks like it has potential to be a nice fun useable car for someone, I’d certainly be very happy owning it if it is solid and mechanically strong. I think I’d much rather a car like that with a few incorrect details and imperfections for £40k rather than a mint 100% correct car for £140k that fills you with anxiety every time you drive/park it anywhere.

As for the little bit of bubbling on the bonnet closing panel, I don’t think I’d be too worried about it if that’s all that’s wrong with it. Obviously a good poke round with a screwdriver would be advisable but I wouldn’t discount it from being a decent useable car based on what the pictures show. Just depends what you want though I guess.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
kitesurfer2
DDK forever

Post by kitesurfer2 »

Point is a few bubbles around the slam panel usually means a lot more corrosion elsewhere.
Rust is the biggest problem on any early car.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Totally agree, rust is the biggest problem on any old car but I’ve seen quite a few cars with the odd bubble there that on the whole were solid elsewhere. Had it been a photo of the towing eye hanging off I’d be more concerned. I’m not saying ignore it but with it being an area which is not open to road abrasion/salt etc and hidden most of the time under the bonnet, it may have been an area which wasn’t showing badly enough to require much attention when it was last painted but is now showing its age a little more. It could also be the case that the front panel beneath has already been replaced whilst maintaining the bonnet catch/vin plate panel to avoid removing the vin plate and to maintain bonnet catch alignment? I guess I’m just saying don’t always judge a book by its cover.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timo

Post by Timo »

Ok I might be about to eat my words here :lol: , just been flicking through the pics and I'd agree with James that rear N/S wheel looks very strange! Unless it's just the angle of the pic, but looks a fairly square shot of the rear end.

Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/2kqhPCB
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

hot66 wrote:nearside rear arch
So, the steering wheel is on the wrong side :lol:

Seriously, this car appears to be fitted with a mixture of different Fuchs wheels:

n/s rear - 5.5" x 15
n/s front - Flat 6
o/s rear - Flat 6
o/s front - Deep 6
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Sold for 66k plus 6%, so 70k all told
Sam

Post by Sam »

Seems OK if it’s solid. A good one would be 90-100k wouldn’t it?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Feels an ok price to me, just surprised to get that high in the auction.