914 1.8 alternator wtb please

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

camperco
DDK rules my life!

Re: 914 1.8 alternator wtb please

Post by camperco »

Quick test of the engine/gearbox to chassis earth strap. Connect a jump lead to the battery negative and then the other end directly onto the engine casing. If it cranks over faster the earth strap from the top of the gear box to the boot floor is the fault or missing. Sometimes its been refitted over fresh paint.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

thank you. Ill try that.
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

so I connected a jumper lead to the negative battery terminal and the engine and the starter sped up quite noticeably although not enough to fire up
I then ran a jump lead from the positive post on the starter to the positive to the battery, the starter remained at the increased speed but the engine didnt fire
suggesting a negative lead to battery problem
I also wonder about the non firing issue, could there be coil damage?
I swapped batteries over but to no effect and now have the better of the 2 on charge as it started to struggle.
I also tried the negative jumper on the starter itself to see if that was grounded, it ran at the improved speed but the doesnt sound to be any firing, I could take a plug out to see if there is a spark but I dont have a helper any more as the Mrs has fallen and broken her wrist