O/T Wireless Music Streaming

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: O/T Wireless Music Streaming

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

I love the look of the tube amps 8)

you lost me a bit with the rest of it though :lol: :wink:
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

I have an airport express (£70) plugged into the stereo and an iPad running Spotify. This is all you need to have most of the World's music at your fingertips.

No wonder attention spans are short these days. I spent months of my life at record fairs and charity shops to amass my collection of crackly old funk records and they are resigned to the shed. Serial music in a random access world...

-sigh-
svens
DDK Fanatic

Post by svens »

An Airport Express and an iPad/iPhone running Spotify premium will bring you more music than you possibly digest in this lifetime.
Best price/performance around...

:bigsmurf:
1954 356 1500 N
1984 Carrera
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

Jonny Hart wrote: I spent months of my life at record fairs and charity shops to amass my collection of crackly old funk records and they are resigned to the shed. Serial music in a random access world...
I'll have them if you don't want them! I can play them on my record player which, although it is neither wireless nor streaming, does sound rather good!
Graham
gojackflash
DDK Fanatic

Post by gojackflash »

I've been a fan of Apple AirPlay for ages, but just made the jump to Sonos.. the Sonos Play 1 at £170 is amazing value for what you get and you get the ability to play different music in each room you have them in
the Sonos sound bar is an amazing speaker but i wouldn't buy it for surround for a tv - you can get just as good results for you home cinema set up for a lot cheaper than you'd need to shell out for everything you need for a Sonos surround set up..

Just my opinion but I'd say the Sonos play 1 is a better set up than a Bose Sound Dock with an airport express, and a lot less wires and plugs and works out cheaper. They were giving away the bridge you need for your house recently - not sure if that offer is still open.
I guess if you had a massive room you'd need bigger than a play 1 perhaps?

Jack
Sign up to http://www.motoriety.co.uk - to manage & store everything to do with your Porsche in one secure, online space. (PM me for details)
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:
nrc914 wrote:I've also been looking at Sonos recently as it seems to be the standard and a few friends have various bits of the system.

It is not cheap however to buy multiple bits for around the house and the playbar is £599 if I remember correctly and have never heard one so would be interested in how squiredan gets on with his. If you're using the optical cable for connection to the tv go careful as there are quite a few secondhand ones around with damaged optical connectors so assume it is a weak spot!

Cheers
Just been looking at the sonos stuff because it is very cool but £599 for the playbar, £599 for the woofer to go with is and 2 x £170 speakers to get 5.1 surround? :shock:

Am i reading it right though that once you have one of their wireless systems (either the playbar or one of their other boxes) you just need a £40 bridge in each additional room connected to speakers to stream the music to those rooms?
you only need 1 bridge which you connect to your router. the sonos builds a separate network thats sits on top of your wifi and somehow uses it but on a slightly different frequency. you then use other sonos products in other rooms, or theres a thing you can get to plug into an existing stereo if thats what you want to do. they can all play the same music or different, and all controlled off of free app
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Sonos for me. I've ended up with a mix of kit* and it all works really well. The Iphone/Ipad app is better than their controller too

2 x 120s linked to Bose wave radios as aux in
2x 120s linked to Bose jewel cubes (one of these has a line in from the telly so I can deafen myself watching Die hard)
1x 120 linked to a pair of Wharfedale speakers
Play 5
Play 3 that is currently in the garage
NAS for the music library

(all the 120s and the Play 3 are 2nd hand)

Only issue I had was when I had a dodgy router and only complaint is that adding a new album etc to the library is timeconsuming. Other than that :drunken:
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

DBPoweramp makes ripping CDs and adding them to the NAS really easy. I have set mine up to rip to MP3 and FLAC automatically.
Graham