Any Ideas?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bewildebeest
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bewildebeest »

I think the little 3 legged thing is a spherometer - used for measuring the size of spherical (i.e. normal) lenses. Therefore I would guess that the other thing will be for holding the lens while you ............do whatever you're doing with it.
Analyse/measure it's properties or something.
Glenn75S
DDK above all

Post by Glenn75S »

I think that it is an early and rare Porsche Design Cigar cutter, with additional mini ashtray... never really took off

:(
1975 Porsche 911S (SOLD)
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 (Distant Memory)
2000 Audi TT 225
2007 Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport
2009 Hungarian Vizsla AWD
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Glenn75S wrote:I think that it is an early and rare Porsche Design Cigar cutter, with additional mini ashtray... never really took off

:(
I have the PD cigar cutter, it's not one of those :lol:

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Hi Mani. I emailed my granddad, who was a retired optician / optometrist / whatever the proper-spec eye doctor is (he's very skilled and can tell you what diopter someone's glasses are even without taking them off their face :) ).

He's quite into optical instruments and has some frightening-looking vintage stuff at his place, so I thought he might know, and he kind of did:

"Regarding the mystery tools. The little one with 3 legs and the micrometer scale is a Spherometer and is used for measuring the sag of a spherical surface. The other one I am not familiar with but looks as though it is another measuring instrument as there appears to be a micrometer scale on it."

He said he'd be interested to see the second one up close. He's over for lunch in the next few weeks, so you want to drop them over the road I can leave them for him to take a look at?
'68 912