Alfa GT Junior

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Alfa GT Junior

Post by Tp81 »

Some past Alfa's, these are beautiful cars.

The Tipo 159 is incredible, its must have been scary to have raced these cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-HbzwweWZc
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

DDK#694
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

I've been a GTV guy since 1986, but have only had my 82 SC coupe for 21 months, bought with the engine out and in boxes, now rebuilt. I suppose there are other natural progressions and pairings of cars, but these two pull so many of the same strings while being completely different in plan, concept and execution. I could go on and on because it's one of those things I spend inordinate amounts of time contemplating, a bit like "Whose music do you love most, the Beatles or the Stones? Discuss."

I'll limit myself now to saying that my first car was a MK1 Midget, then a TR4A (which I drove from California to Connecticut in 1983....no overdrive!), then a Beetle and a CJ5 Jeep. The first Beige Cava 74 GTV belonged to a professor at my university and he entrusted me with its headgasket replacement. It was a completely higher order of mechanical sophistication and coolness tham I'd previously encountered, including the EXCELLENT mechanical injection...don't believe the naysayers.

I sold that GTV to buy a 944S2 in 1994, but had to flog the latter when Kid #1 arrived in 1995. I realized that I missed the Alfa more and found a red replacement soon therafter, which I still own. These are exceptional cars for driving hard; I used to drive mine 350 miles to Watkins Glen, where my brother and I would use it in different classes of the same track day weekend, then drive it home again, with no failures. The engines can take hard use all day long (a TR4 can't), and like someone else said, the brakes were a total revelation. It's a car which makes people smile and remember their suave uncle who had one.

I have become quite obsessed with my black/black 911 and love the engine and interior, driving position, build quality, although much of the work on it makes the Alfa seem like a paragon of simplicity. When I complete it's sorting - am wrapping up inner wing/tub repairs now- I will refocus some attention to the Alfa. TP81's project is other-worldly to me from the perspective of being able to lavish all the money and professional expertise on a car in such a condensed period of time. Good for you, Sir...no criticism or envy inferred. For so long these cars didn't get that level of treament due to their only moderate values....so the bodges were rife. I like to think that the quality of the Alfa has inspired me over the years to be a better mechanic because it's so beautifully made.

I would be very interested to know how the guys doing your (TP81's) renovation feel about the quality of the replacement body panels. Mine will need at least a right rear quarter (old shunt, not rust). Please let us know what they say.

Sorry for the ramble. John in Connecticut, USA.
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

A link to a stunning looking 39 Alfa-Romeo 6C 2500 Super Sport Berlinetta Aerodinamica Coupe, with coachwork by Touring.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... light=alfa
DDK#694
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

lovely looking car!

i'm never 100% sure on which is which (junior/2000/gtv/etc) but there's been a guy buzzing around leicester for the last 3 or 4 weeks in one - its red with gold wheels, and looks superb! so tiny on the road, even next to my car which is hardly large in itself. i kind of grew up around these cars (alfa's and lancia's) because of my grandfather, so really great to see them out and about and being used as intended! looking forward to more pictures 8)
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

John,

I am told there are like everything these days, good quality panels and cheap poor versions. So far I have sourced all of the bodywork from Alfaholics, the quality looks to be very good. It will be interesting to see once its presented to the car. I have gone for a fiberglass bonnet and boot, still waiting on the bonnet to arrive but the quality of the boot lid is very impressive, I will take some pictures and post.

Onto the gearbox, this is one of the aspects I love about the car. The change is very direct, quite long and smooth. There is no movement of the gear lever once engaged, feels very mechanical. On my car 2nd grinds a touch so you always have to be gentle and coax it in. Once stripped the worn synchro could be seen, while its open I am having everything else than needs done taken care off, makes sense this far in.

3.0000 Alfaholics (Quaife) Synchro Ring 1st (starting to show wear), 2nd and 4th.
1.0000 Gearbox Front Oil Seal -Hydraulic Clutch
1.0000 Gearbox Rear Oil Seal-All
1.0000 Input Shaft BRG Early
1.0000 Mainshaft Front BRG
1.0000 Mainshaft Rear BRG
1.0000 Layshaft Front BRG (25mm centre)
1.0000 Layshaft Middle BRG
1.0000 Layshaft Rear BRG
1.0000 5th Gear Needle Roller BRG
1.0000 Input Shaft Needle Roller

Should be good for another 40 years.
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

One sill on along with new door skin, small repair patch inside arch, zinc coated and then ready to be tidied up and fully coated, etc.

Fiberglass boot lid.

Interior lights and hand straps, along side the paint sample of Alfa Rosso.

I took the interior lights off and have stripped these ready to be re-chromed, no wonder they weren't working. Why is it a screw head always snaps off or something similar, trying to do this quickly in between some work tonight. Sods law!

DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Some pictures sent over to me to show progress.

This is the drivers side, new sill in and complete.

The passenger door bottom is too far gone so will be getting replaced, no point in trying to patch up when its so far gone.

DDK#694
a1topdog
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by a1topdog »

Lovely car. This print has just been released - would look nice on the garage wall.....

http://guyallen.co.uk/targa-florio-sici ... AHIAdAA%3d

Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Ordered. Thanks for posting.
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Progress continues, car is starting to look really good.

DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Boot gaps sorted.

DDK#694
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Going to ber better than new!

My friend's Alfas took a lot to get right, but were/are fab when done.
Thanks for posting!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Sent off my interior light bases to the chromers, they turned out well, very pleased.

I juts need to clean up the rest of the parts and try and remember how they go back together.

DDK#694