Mongrel Street Racer

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Mongrel Street Racer

Post by Darren65 »

210bhp wrote:There is a very similar discussion on the early S just now about the subtle differences in the FRONT slam panel over the years regarding the drain holes.......
I actually discussed these with Barry Mike which I think were first seen for 73MY(?)......the later front panel was correct for my E but probably not for for this car....I actually wasn't concerned in this case as the drain holes are hardly seen/noticeable and no doubt a better option as water does tend to sit here.....the rear panel is quite an easy fix and certainly worth doing.
210bhp wrote:.....With a restoration just about to start it makes sense to try and get these things sorted out now.....
...and that's exactly why I post.....wished I'd known before my car was painted with the engine fitted!

Ultimately with these things it's each to their own but then I've always found it's just as easy to do it one way as it is to do it another....so why not?

Cheers,
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Barry

Post by Barry »

Oh, those. :)
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:........it looks like I've now managed to source a correct magnesium 226mm fan housing; the one I currently have looks great however I think the freshly chromated mag housing along with a Tectyl finish to the fan will give the engine a far more authentic 2.5 race spec look......
....well that's the theory anyway! :?

I actually liked the finish of the fan as it was........wrong, but a nice look....

I'm always a little cautious with what I read on the web as much can be regurgitated forum talk so try to balance this with period photos. However even these can be a little misleading....the finish of the fan in some photos can seem pretty light in colour.....

...although less so in others.....

....whereas the 700 mile 911S car, photo courtesy of David Conklin, shows what it'll look like in a few hundred miles anyway!.....

....I've seen Andy post somewhere(?) exactly what created the original finish although I understand sadly no longer possible, so went with the current thinking and used Tectyl.....initially the finish looked like it was going to be miles off......

...however after a couple of coats followed by a little heat gun use to smooth things off it's turned out ok....

...I think this will age quite well but would be interested to hear what others think?

Cheers,
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Is this one for sale too?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Neither look like they match the original colour. Perhaps leave the second to age a little and see if that works otherwise I would leave as is.
Last edited by yoda on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The force is strong in this one ......
sladey

Post by sladey »

210bhp wrote:Image

Regards
Mike
I used to do them "spot the difference" competitions as well. Then I discovered women and drink. Can't remember what happened after that.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

sladey wrote:
210bhp wrote:Regards
Mike
I used to do them "spot the difference" competitions as well. Then I discovered women and drink. Can't remember what happened after that.
can only be good things
great mixture
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Bootsy wrote:Is this one for sale too?
But of course!........why else do you think I've been posting this stuff for the last five years! :wink:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

yoda wrote:Neither look like they match the original colour. Perhaps leave the second to age a little and see if that works otherwise I would leave as is.
Totally agree Feroz.....in fact decided the Tectyl finish looks pants! :?

I might run the car like this for a bit just to see how it wears but ultimately think I'll go back to a simple chromate finish.

Without resorting to paint, would love to know how to get mine to look like this 8) ......

Cheers,
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

It was good catching up today Darren and chewing the fat over the good parts of going through a full on restoration and the more challenging parts.

As for the mongrel all I can say is awesome........given it was a wet day the car stuck to the road like glue, and you were certainly throwing the car around.....would be great to be taken out in it again when you have the megaphones fitted, the sound this morning was fab, can only imagine what she sounded like with megaphones fitted.......Mega....

I get the impression you have another project brewing inside you to..... Swb sports purpose......

A Welsh driving tour at some point with you the mongrel and a few of the other guys sounds a hoot, will need to get my project started and finished first....

Cheers
Mark
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks Mark it was great to catch up and really looking forward to following your progress real soon, exciting times ahead for sure......for many a 67S is the absolute pinnacle and your plans sound just perfect 8)

Best of luck for 2016.

Cheers,
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Just for my own reference.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Darren65 wrote:
Without resorting to paint, would love to know how to get mine to look like this 8) ......

Cheers,
Isn't that just a dirty version of what you have now? :) Having a less shiny pulley would also calm things down a little visually.

Once you've worked it all out then I'll copy it. A colourless cromate seems the best option at present for a durable original look rather than the dark grey cromate.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Gary71 wrote:Having a less shiny pulley would also calm things down a little visually.
Was just going to say the same thing - shiny chrome pulley probably contrasts it too much whereas the others are same shade as fan. I think the fan looks fine though and will fade/discolour over time.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales