1973 911 E RHD - Gemini Blue

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 1973 911 E RHD - Gemini Blue

Post by jtparr »

sladey wrote:
jtparr wrote:Hi Tom

Not sure if this is relevant to the fit of your indicator covers....but...they often require the gasket seals to be cut down in depth to allow the lenses to sit more flush

Certainly did with mine (sharp model knife) and I have heard this mentioned by more

Hope that helps
Jonathan
Didn't know that one Jonathan - wondered why mine jut out. Is there any sort of guide online for this or is it a 'just by eye' thing?
Hi Mark
By eye to be honest...like so many other figment issues..use fresh blades to get the cleanest cut
J
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Thanks Jonathan
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Tp81 wrote:Mike,

Thanks yes they should have a seal. This should make a difference as well as the recommended trimming of the housing seal.

Can you clear up the light issue for me, is the indicator the very last bulb behind the reflector? The one between the two screws.

In this picture the bulb is missing or is the indicator the center bulb?

Apologies for the basic questions, its that long since I have mad my car.

Tom,

The indicator has three sections.

On a UK car the first is the side light (clear) the middle the indicator and the last just has a reflector like your first picture. It is this internal reflector that is missing in your second picture.

Cheers
Jon
Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

Jon, thanks for clearing this up. So I am just on the look out for a reflector if I choose the alloy body. The pastic unit has a reflector and a bulb but I obviously wont have this wired up, I assume this is for the USA cars ?
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

My car is at the stage that I am now starting to fuss over the details, one of the problems of not having access to an original car to make comparisons is that you start to (or at least I do) become paranoid that you are making mistakes. My car has required so many new panels that I am now firmly in the camp of make it look like new (sorry Mike 210HP).

There are lots of references cars through the Scottish DDK members that I will be able to call on or ask advise from the members, but an original blue interior has proved elusive. There has been some help through the forum, Cortina in particular kindly took some detailed pictures for me of his own car which has an original blue interior.

Imagine my joy when I heard the car had been bought by a Scottish dealer I know, quick call and delighted to report access to the Gemini Blue 911 E with original blue interior (except the seat fabric) I can source the madras relatively easily. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing what essentially be my car, interior and all. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I took loads of reference pictures of all the areas I had questions about. Loved it and the colour. Cant wait for mine now.

Here are a few from today.

DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

DDK#694
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Nice stroke of luck that Tom.
Those seats do stand out.
Garry has done some outstanding work with Scottish weavers for his pepita material. I wonder if the same could be done for that blue carpet? Limited market I suppose.

I might have one of those reflectors somewhere. I'll check it out.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

I have been able to borrow a rear carpet mat from the e to allow me to match the samples I have accumulated. Not sure any of them match exactly. I know the original interior is blue and this is what I should try and stick to as accurately as possible. Looking at the E I have access to the carpet is much more luxurious than the salt and pepper style I was used to from my 1970 T. I assume the 73 and onward specification had changed and was moving towards the deeper piles you see and expect now or into the 80's.

Looking at the samples I quite like the salt and pepper style I received from Southbound which has a blue fleck through it. Now that I have the correct carpet I will let my local trimmer try and source a match or try Gary at Classic FX who has been very helpful to date.

The closest match is probably the really small patch, Gary was kind enough to source this for me.

DDK#694
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Glad to see my baby is being put to good use .... would be even better if it was getting driven !
(I thought from the website that it had been sold , looks like this is not the case)

Cheers Alan ....... just down from 14,100 fet at top of Pikes Peak !!
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Cortina wrote:Glad to see my baby is being put to good use .... would be even better if it was getting driven !
(I thought from the website that it had been sold , looks like this is not the case)

Cheers Alan ....... just down from 14,100 fet at top of Pikes Peak !!
Not sure if its sold or not. The car is at the workshop I am using to restore my Alfa, I know its in for a full paint job might well be in the back of a sale.
DDK#694
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi, in case it helps we have literally just taken delivery of Madras material that has been commissioned by one of our customers. We actually needed the Red madras as it has not been available for some time, but we also had the other 2 madras colours made.

I have also been in the process (for some time) having the salt and pepper carpet remade. If it helps I can send pics of ours, or you are welcome to take a look for yourself.

HTH

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Alan, thanks for posting. I would like to see the salt and pepper with the blue accent.

I will no doubt be in touch regards the madras.

Thanks for posting

Tom
DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

My car hasn't really moved on much, the garage have been slowly trying everything on to check fit. This might be the slowest thread on here but it is starting to take shape.

DDK#694
kitten1
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitten1 »

Hi Tom

Well done you...you must be very satisfied at seeing the car coming together now :bounce: :compress:

Margaret
IN LOVE WITH MY 1970 911T RHD. (Still my fav)
1987 Carrera 3.2 Targa in Signal Orange (bloody gorgeous)
1973 914 1.7L Zambezi Green (great wee car)
2004 Cayenne 3.2 (the dogs car)
1965 356C (an absolute delight to own and drive)
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Tp81 wrote:My car hasn't really moved on much, the garage have been slowly trying everything on to check fit. This might be the slowest thread on here but it is starting to take shape.

True... but you do take a decent photo :cheers:
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)