does anyone know....

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

abzadams
DDK rules my life!

does anyone know....

Post by abzadams »

Where I could get a bumper like this for my Chesil. Or even what are they called?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet_pi ... ge-188.htm
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
Droog
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Droog »

on beetles a simular bumber is called a towel rail, or US spec. the upright bits are overriders. not sure where you get them. have you tried the usual suspects and Roger Bray Restorations. if not it's proberbly best to try the states.

Paul.
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

Thanks for getting back!
I knew they were called Towel Rails on Beetles but just didn't know for the Speedster. I have looked in the uk, Rodger Bray does picture them on the web-site but it looks like they dont actually sell them. Had a look state side at all the usual places - any other suggestions?
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

towel rails

Post by beachcomber »

Back in the 80's I made up several sets of these to go with the overriders [ available separately ].

They were made from T360 Stainless, and at the time were considerably cheaper than the US versions [ chromed ].

They COULD be made again if enough interest. Unfortunately front and rear differ, so requires 2 sets of jigs. :?:

Overriders are [ were ] currently available from Chesil [?], maybe they could source the rails? Karmann Konnection could be another source, but be ready to take out a second mortgage on your house - their prices border on the Dick Turpin.

BTW - the CORRECT name eludes me [ senility ] but it is "California something or other" - no guesses for where it originated from.
No doubt I'll remember one day.

ATB
beachcomber
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

Thanks beachcomber.

I just had another look at a couple of other forums - you are right, most people seem to have paid about $1500 - $2000 for them :?

At those sort of prices, I might just knock the idea on the head!

Just out of interest how much would you do them for if you were to redo them - you never know some others on here might be interested :)
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

california nerf bars

Post by beachcomber »

Hi,

California nerf bars "might" be the correct name [ working on it].

I dug out some old prices and invoices - the rails alone [ not the overriders ] were £175.00 an end back then [ ie x 2 ].

The T360 luggage racks are currently £475.00, and to be honest the front and rear rails should not involve any more work than that - HOWEVER, there would be the cost of 2 jigs to amatize on say the first 40 sets.

I know that Mohr in Germany are contemplating making the bumper overriders in sprayed hybrid epoxy / alloy - same process as their Gullwing bodies, AND they are going to remanufacture the old Leitz style luggage rack [ including red leather straps - oh ducky! ] - SO, theoretically nothing to stop them looking at the California bars.

I imagine if they have to lay down 40 - 50 sets, they would want to be fairly certain to "pre-sell" at least half that amount to make it viable.

I guess that would be one set sold already then!!!

Beachcomber
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

Beachcomber,
Just looked at the Chesil web site and it seems that they are starting to produce the over riders and bars! Have asked for a price.........!
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

chesil bars

Post by beachcomber »

Hi ABZ,

If and when you get a price please let us know - if it's competitive with what I can produce - no point in making them!

Is it my imagination or is it difficult to get info. from Chesil at the Mo?
beachcomber
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

very difficult! New web-site has hardly no information at all.
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo