Should I feel like this about a car?!

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

gerald1-4-3-2
DDK addict

HEAL AND TOE, HEEL AND TOEING?

Post by gerald1-4-3-2 »

pardon me , i have no shame in admitting i have no idea what you all are talking about... please please - idots guide to heel toeing and the reason for it. i feel out of the loop. :(
cheers
and for anybody else that has no idea ,,,,,, somebody had to ask.
warm in the winter, cool in the summer. stirred not shaken, always stylish.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

'Heeling & toeing' is a technique used to match engine speed to wheel speed when changing gear - more commonly when 'down-shifting'.

It is so-called because you use your heel (or, more accurately, the outside edge of your right foot) on the accelerator & your toe (or 'ball' of the right foot) on the brake pedal.

For instance, when approaching a corner, you would begin braking, dip the clutch, slip the gearlever into neutral & blip the throttle with the outside edge of your right foot (whilst still braking), move the gearlever into the lower gear & raise the clutch, release the brake & accelerate away.

Difficult to explain but this might give you the idea...
Last edited by Lightweight_911 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
gerald1-4-3-2
DDK addict

outside edge and toeing

Post by gerald1-4-3-2 »

many thanks for explaining.... you're a star.
warm in the winter, cool in the summer. stirred not shaken, always stylish.
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

thanks so much for asking Gerald, I was right behind you, scratching my head thinking errrrrr....... :lol: :lol:

mike
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

This has much to do with the reason my break pedal rubber now sits at a strange angle to the throttle pedal. :?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

driving books ?

Post by Mike Usiskin »

Hi Keith,

"Vic Elford states in his book on the subject"

Have you any other info on this book? Sterling Moss mentioned a book about the craft of fast driving and I've been looking for something on the subject. Ideally i'd like to get the seat/pedal/wheel angles right since they used to spend ages adjusting everything.. I just jump in and go so I must be missing something. There must be a vast amount of knowledge we could learn from, about weight and balance etc.

regards

mike
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

hot66

Post by hot66 »

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

OK Mike,

The one that hot 66 links to is the Elford book. Brilliant read. Mixes driving technique with anecdotes from his racing career. Very readable and not heavy technically. Some of those books on technique get really heavy man!!! Other race driver author's books on technique in order of technical depth starting with the easiest.

Paul Frere another Porsche racer just a bit more technical than Elford. Still v. readable.

Next Pierro Taruffi. The first ever written on the subject, apparently used by the late great J. Clark. Highly detailed, so much that I'm starting to fall asleep now. It is good though so always go back to it when I wake up again!

Next up one by Bob Bondurant, so heavy I'm right in the land of zog before Bondurant has finished his analysis of the first corner at Thunderbuggins County raceway. I never did pick that 'un up again. Maybe one day!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith
bahama68
Married to the DDK

Post by bahama68 »

It appears I know even less than everyone. :oops:

What on earth is double declutching??

John
'68 911S - sold
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

John,

This is a bit of random double de clutch discussion, a few misdirections but it gets the point across eventually! :)

http://www.petrolheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... &f=154&h=0

Highly recommended for 2nd to 3rd and back on a 915 box, these seem to be the most vunerable synchros, maybe because it's the most used change. A neat double de clutch smooths things out lovely.